1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz NA-7004 Streamer/DAB/FM Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Nov 21, 2010.

1. bigmarcelo

bigmarcelo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you have to connect the drive directly to the NA7004 via USB, else try formatting the external drive in the same format of the nAS files on Qnap .... it won't work anymore in windows/mac and only on the Qnap ...

I have my 7004 connected via the MDAC ... on coax it works only on 16/44 Flac... for 24/96 I ned to use the optical ... so I switched to the optical one for now, while I wait for the Mdac firmware to be upgraded...

that said, the analogue out of the NA7004 is not bad, just not so detailed as through the mdac ....

I hope Marantz is monitoring the forums and does release an updated ipad/iphone app ... its pretty useless as it stands.... specially when you compare it to Cambridge audio/Sonos/Linn .... at least there is AirPlay ... after a paid update... again, Marantz... charge more and enable it out of the box please.... what a hassle to activate mine here in Singapore.... emails, EFT bank transfers, etc.... major pain ....

Very good sound for the price...... needs work in the other parts...
  2. ttan

ttan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all and apologies for posting as a newbie.

I have an unusual question for those of you who own the Marantz NA7004.

I'm thinking of purchasing one when I visit the UK next month, and was wondering what the dimensions of the box is that the unit comes in (for purposes of sizing my suitcase).

Could anyone assist? I can't seem to find the dimensions of the box anywhere.

Thanks very much.
  3. bigmarcelo

bigmarcelo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have the box anymore... but its like a large DVD box (tall & wide)... you'll need a largish suitcase...
  4. Riff

Riff Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone been able to compare this to the NR1602 receiver's streaming capabilities? Any reason to choose the NA7004 over an NR1602 in combination with a PM7003? (besides the obvious: 5.1 surround) Thanks! :)
  5. bigmarcelo

bigmarcelo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have both, and if you need an amp, I'd go for the 1602 - their streaming capabilities are the same and I'm very pleased with both. The NR1602 is in my bedroom and it does a great job.
  6. Riff

Riff Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I've already got the amp (PM7003) but as the NR1602 and NA7004 are similar in price, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a video processor included.
  7. mikedelvaux

mikedelvaux Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone.
    I'm thinking about getting one of these for my wife, she loves her music and has lots on an i-pad, i-pod touch and laptop. Now are these things easy to setup ?.
    Also is it ok to hard wire this to my virgin home hub ? or should it be wired to the Seagate goflex hard drive ?. Also I'd love to be able to get rid of some of the cds around the house they take up so much room. Should I record them to the laptop then back them up to the Seagate ? so they can hopefully be accessed by the Marantz. Sorry for so many stupid questions, but I'm so confused by all the computer jargon.
    Pleeeeeeeease help.

Mike,:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  8. Bigmp

Bigmp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The audio player can be connected to your pc via USB or it can play all the music on your hard drive and pc over the network. If you buy it in the next few weeks then you may be able to get a free airplay upgrade. This upgrade would allow you to play music straight from the iPod or iPad over the wifi network.
    If I am not mistaken the 7004 can wirelessly connect to the network anyway so it is your choice.
    Martin
  9. mikedelvaux

mikedelvaux Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I dont think it is wireless, but will it be able to play via the Seagate without having to open up the laptop or other devices.
    Mike.
  10. Bigmp

Bigmp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... Ask me again in 3 weeks cause mine is arriving then.
    It has a USB in the back for the pc connection but that will be a USB B (big square one) and the from has a iPod/iPhone compatible USB. The front one 'should' be able to connect to the seagate... I am 90/95% that it can. Although I am not sure on how you would pick the tracks and such.
    Martin

EDIT: I just popped on the marantz site and it will connect to an external drive. It may be a but boring but go read through the specs on the web page 'linky'. This is for the UK website but you can find your way to the other site if need be.
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  11. mikedelvaux

mikedelvaux Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Apparently the one on the back is for connecting a laptop direct, I'd imagine the one on the front is for i-pod, dont know if it charges it though. The Pioneer does, my hard drive is actually connected via my router and the guy at my local computer shop says it will act as a NAS drive, but I dont want to buy one then end up having to get another NAS drive. So if anyones got the answer pleeeeease ?????

Mike :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  12. Bigmp

Bigmp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So you didn't read the web page... or my last comment... the page makes it pretty clear that a ext. drive will work on the front and the front is ALSO compatible with apple products... NOT that it is only for them.
    Martin
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  13. mikedelvaux

mikedelvaux Member

Ratings:
    +3
    oops, sorry was very tired, long day, I'll have a read.

Mike.
  14. davet010

davet010 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these, especially at £429, but finding that very few places seem to have it in stock. Is it about to be replaced with a new model ?
  15. niall campbell

niall campbell Member

Ratings:
    +59
    I would be looking for one with an RJ45 connection to hook up to router rather than USB .......... And maybe thats a reason to update the range ??
  16. kocl

kocl Member

Ratings:
    +11
    The marantz has a net connector.
  17. davet010

davet010 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah, seems to have a standard socket for wired connection - the knock on it seems to be that it can't connect wirelessly, but I'm not a big fan of wireless connections for this purpose anyway so that's not an issue for me.
  18. Bigmp

Bigmp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is low stock everywhere as they cannot meet demand. I waited 6 weeks for mine. You can get a free airplay upgrade for it aswell and that gives it a more wireless functionality.
  19. bigmarcelo

bigmarcelo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Marantz has a very decent DAC and the sound is excellent.... I recommend you try '8 player' application for iphone/ipad... its much better then the marantz app itself... even better if you just use airplay from the ipad/iphone....
  20. bigmarcelo

bigmarcelo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have both, and I highly recommend the 1602 if you need video also ... I can't tell the difference in sound - the 1602 doesn't have USB in (to be used as a DAC).. I have the 1602 paired with Quads 12L and Sub ... great sound for the bedroom .... if you are thinking of a NA7004 and an amp ... just get the 1602.... you can try if the sound is better via the PM7003... and see if you keep that or sell it afterwards...
  21. volksdub

volksdub New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone thinking about getting the NA7004, I highly recommend it. And you won't regret it.
  22. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I agree with Volksdub; it's an awesome peice of equipment. I got mine in January, when it was priced at £379 (I got another tenner off that!), and have not looked back.
  23. jeres8860

jeres8860 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently bought the Na7004 and love it and now I'm about to upgrade my setup to include a NAS to hold all of my Flac files.

First question: how does everyone set theirs up. I.E. each album has it's own folder? or artist then album?

Second: with the NAS attached to my router, can I just drop files from my mac onto it?

Thanks so much for the help. I really love theunit and want to have the best setup possible.

Thanks again,

Jeemy
  24. kocl

kocl Member

Ratings:
    +11
    The Sound from fm is a little flat, but tuner is very good.
  25. JamesGibb

JamesGibb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm ripping all my CDs and vinyl to FLAC and looking around for a decent streamer at about this price.

Can you guys confirm whether the Marantz is able to play FLAC gapless when accessing it from a DLNA Server rather than AirPlay?

I'm not into iPads or iPhones, I'll be using a NAS with a UPnP/DLNA server running on it, using a Windoze PC to setup playlists. Any of you have this sort of setup, i.e. using the buttons on the Marantz itself to select a playlist from the Server or some non-Apple UPnP Control Point apps?

And has anyone experience of using the web interface built into the 7004?

Thanks in anticipation

// James
  26. davet010

davet010 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Arrived today, setup was quick and easy apart from the process of getting the AirPlay upgrade, which required going through the website and also ploughing through a couple of the menus to get an update code. All done now though, sounds great and is controlled through the Marantz app on my iPad and Logitech's Squeezebox software. Just one quick question - I see references on other similar machines to people using an app called iPENG - is there any advantage to using this given my current setup (all my music files are sitting on a NAS).
  27. mikedelvaux

mikedelvaux Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone got mine all setup on Sunday all went really well cds through FLAC
    sound great, I have one problem though using Kinsky desk top when playing music I can't seem to be able to pause or forward, has anyone else had a similar problem.

Mike.
  28. HeadBanger

HeadBanger Member

Ratings:
    +146
    If you are using LMS as the server software to your Marantz it won't play gapless and you aren't actually using AirPlay. iPeng, apart from being a lovely app, will utilise AirPlay so you get the full benefit of a superb interface (iPeng) and gapless playback using LMS/AirPlay. You can also buy a playback add-on for iPeng which will turn your iPhone or iPad into a Squeezebox in their own right.

I would highly recommend iPeng, especially the iPad version. I have not seen anything that comes anywhere close to providing such a neat and slick user experience. Well worth the investment IMO.
  29. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +813
    My first thought was are you really using LMS and not the DLNA service installed on the NAS! I guess you are relying on the DLNA plugin on LMS they did for Google Revue TV? I'm surprised it works with the Marantz...
  30. mikedelvaux

mikedelvaux Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thourght I'd better mention my wife has exactly the same problem on
    the ipad2.

Mike.