1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz NA-7004 Streamer/DAB/FM Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Nov 21, 2010.

1. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    Another network music player for those looking to add to a hi-fi separates set-up.

Marantz NA-7004 at £700

Spec:

DAB/DAB+, FM RDS, AM, Internet radio, DLNA streaming
    Apple Airplay compatible
    FLAC to 24/96
    iPod digital input, USB for computer, USB for storage devices
    S/PDIF input for DAC
    Headphone out
    Wired only(!)

[​IMG]

Reviewed in Dec 2010 Gramphone - "This is a fascinating device, having definite ability with high-quality files...may be harbinger of the future of hi-fi separates"

Interesting that DLNA and Airplay are both there, perhaps they'll be 'check box' items on music streamers by the end of 2011?

Looking at Linn, they are working away to get decent open source DLNA servers and controllers like Kinksy Desktop. (Which, BTW was able to understand my Squeezebox Server/WhiteBear set-up, but couldn't make the final leap and send the stream to Sony bluray player)
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +956
    "Wired only"... Maybe not a bad move, considering the ignorance and backwards thinking in the audiophile community towards wireless networking. Probably be a nice line in audiophile cat5 too. On the other side of the coin, reliabiliy would be increased for those with pants networks and a bridge could be added. I expect a lot of people would go for the USB option though.

Any controller options? iPhone app's etc? A large collection on that screen could be a chore.

Does look nice though, I think the coming year is going to be a good one for digital audio.

Can it act as server? Would other devices be able to access it over DLNA?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  3. webley

webley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone :hiya:

Never been here before, so this is my first post... Had a noodle around earlier, and this place seems rather friendly - much tamer than the gaming forums!! :smashin:

Recently I realised that, over the last 2 or 3 years, I've only bought a handful of new CD's. With the imminent arrival of my 40th birthday, I've decided that I should really be looking at an audio streaming device.

Currently, I stream from my iMac to my xbox 360. I have a Marantz PM6003 amp and a pair of B&W 602 S2's.

I am not satisfied with the quality of sound that I get from this set up. (By that I mean the 360)

After much researching around the internet, and a couple of visits and phone calls to local hifi retailers, I think I've settled on the Marantz NA7004. The £500-600 price of the unit is within my budget range, but this is definitely a luxury item for me.

I've read all of the reviews that I can find on the device, and read a lot of forum posts on it, but there are still a few questions that I have, which I'm hoping an owner will be able to put straight for me:

How is it to use? Simple? Just switch it on, choose a source and off you go? How easy is it to navigate?

How does it sound? None of the retailers in Brighton have one that I can go and listen to. In fact, Richer Sounds didn't know what it was when I asked them, and didn't even realise that they sold them! (and they've got rid of their listening room since I went there last). I'll be listening to minimal/deep dubstep, minimal electro and deep techno - Music with lots of nuances in the bass, and intricate top end. Currently, I listen to my older music on CD, using an Arcam CD72t - Am I likely to be able to get an equivalent sound through the NP7004 with lossless files? (by the way, I'm loving the PM6003 paired up to the B&W's - Window Licker sounds teh awesome).

Apple AirPlay: The What HiFi review says "with the addition of AirPlay...", and on the Richer Sounds website it says "with the optional upgrade..." - Do you have to add the AirPlay capability later? When do you do that? Does it cost anything? I'm not bothered about streaming wirelessly to it (if that's part of the upgrade), as I'll be installing some network cabling for it. Does the upgrade add anything else?

I've read that I can plug my 360 into it via an optical cable, and the NP7004 will sexify the sound? Is that true? How much of a difference will that make?

Does it do gapless? I have several hundred DJ mix CD's (I only listen to DJ mixes), which I am planning to rip onto a big ass HDD (a future purchase) - If the Marantz doesn't do gapless, then I won't be able tuck the Arcam away under the bed...

Lower res files? What about lossy files? How do they sound? My main source of new DJ mixes these days is soundcloud. There are the occasional FLAC and WAV mixes that I find, but I'd say 90% of what I find is MP3.

I am also open to alternative suggestions. I wasn't that taken with the Cambridge Audio NP30, and I'm definitely not interested in the Sonos devices - Much of what I've read on streaming seems to entail more computer equipment than hifi. Oh, and the Rotel due to be released in September is toooo faaaar awaaaaay :laugh:

thanks in advance :)
  4. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    >Never been here before, <

Welcome to the Forum.

As you can see, the NA-7004 thread is rather 'quiet'. I think you'll need to do your own legwork to answer most of the questions.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/stre...avforums-apple-airplay-discussion-thread.html

As your music source is an iMac (and I presume using iTunes) then Airplay would be pretty much essential upgrade on the NA-7004 so it's recognised as a player and you can use iTunes to stream music to it. (BTW AirPlay is nothing to do with wi-fi)

>I am also open to alternative suggestions<

A £70(?) Apple Airport Express would give the same streaming capability from iTunes, connect it and your 360 to a multi-input external DAC for the upgrade in sounq quailty. The Beresford TC-7520 has two optical inputs and two coax intputs and is well regared.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. webley

webley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! Yeah, I see this thread is a bit bleak... complete with tumbleweed. ;)

Thanks for the 360 / airport / dac suggestion - that's not really the route I wanted to go down. Mostly because of the amount of noise that my 360 makes. I swear John Deere built it for M$.

I'd certainly consider doing something similar without the 360, but that's kind of a last resort - stuff I've read on places like computer audiophile just seems to make it so complex.

At the moment, my choices are Richer Sounds in Reigate (which is a mission to get to), where they sell it for £500 and have a demo room, or Sevenoaks sound in Hove (which I can walk to), where they sell it for £600. I'm waiting to hear back from Sevenoaks to see if they'll cut a deal....

Once I do get my hands on one, I'll let you know how it sounds and what it;s like to use :smashin:
  6. essexman

essexman Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I have one of these and am very pleased with it. Yes , you do have to fork out for Airplay on top of the cost of the unit, but it is worth it IMHO.
    I have the Marantz connected to a Billion router with an ethernet cable, then my macbook and iphone connect via wifi.
  7. webley

webley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After spending far too much time trying to organise a viewing / demo of the Marantz at somewhere that would sell me the unit at a decent price, I've bitten the bullet and ordered one from Sevenoaks in Brighton.

I'm going to collect it on Saturday :clap: yes, I am excited.

ERK! When I spoke the the Sevenoaks guy he said it was a free firmware upgrade..?
  8. essexman

essexman Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Had to fork out for mine !
  9. dimsav

dimsav Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone personal experience if it is going to sound better than the Squeezbox touch, the Cambridge audio np30 or the Project Se streamer.I'm interested in their performance when reading through USB port a connected hard drive and feeding their signal digitally to an external dac such as benchmark , bel canto or musical fidelity of the range of 800-1200£.I've read that squeezebox is having a hard time reading USB HDD.Quite,likely, Naim unityserve,MF CLIC or Olive 4HD will sound better but the cost more than twice as much.
  10. fernar

fernar Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have had a Marantz NA7004 for about two months now - it took me about 1 hour to get it installed and up and running - most of the time was taken up updating the firmwear and install the Airplay software (which is now free it used to cost about 50 UKP).

As a result of the quality of the sound that this can feed into the stereo setup, I have had to re-rip all my music to WAV format (from 320K Variable MP3 - which was good enough for my ipod played in my car).

Bad points:

1) The ipod touch app is basically a waste of time - it needs serious updateing to make it more useful - the list of music does not scroll as you would expect, so not very easy to go from a sone starting with the letter 'a' to a song starting with the letter 'z'.... and when you have 10,000 songs to scroll through, the interface needs to be slick

2) There is no wifi access - a small issue really - I am now using a POWERLINE adapter and that works very well - I suspect that if you were going to stream hi-res music, this wired attachement is likely to be the best anyway.

3) FM radio is not sent to the digital output - only digital contect is sent. So it's good with DAB, and all other digital source - but for FM you still need a analogue connection to the amp. (That said the soound seem to as good as the Audiolan 8000T I replaced)

Good points:

1) It's an FM/DAB/DAB+ tuner that also streams music from many sources + can be a DAC for other devices.
    2) Sound quality is very good
    3) Easy to use - no need to have a TV etc to navigate
    4) Build quality is good for the price (so not in the same league asd LINN or NIAM) - but good for a 500UK device

One thing I would say is that if you have a 'complex' network infrastructure in you house, you may need to fine tune your router to get the best connection between the Marantz NA7004, and your NAS device
  11. asukrumercan

asukrumercan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Fernar,

I bought Marantz NA7004 a few days ago. I am using WD sharespace as a NAS server. I have tried to play music files from NAS server but Marantz network player gives a message NOT AUTHORIZED.. So I can not play and see the files inside the NAS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  12. fernar

fernar Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have my NA7004 connected to a Netgear NAS - but I would image that more or less the functions are similar...

Areas I would look at is the permission of the music files - need to check that they have read access to all devices on the network.

Also check that yo uhave CIFS enabled on your NAS drive.
    Other items to check on the NAS drive:

UPnP and DLNA enabled so that the NA7004 can actually discover the NAS drive and access it.

Failing that - I would call Marantz tech support - they were VERY helpful with a few questions I had regarding AIRPLAY
  13. asukrumercan

asukrumercan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Fernar for your message.

All the file sharing protocols are marked but for CIFS it says the users must enter the password.

I couldn't find any option in Marantz to enter the password, in the NAS it is also not possible to disable the password.

Marantz sees the NAS as music server but as I wrote before, gives "not authorized" message then there is no option to enter the password of the NAS..

Is it possible to enter the password of the NAS by using Marantz remote functions?

Thanks.
  14. miggyboys

miggyboys Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone!

Right - I'm looking at purchasing the Marantz NA7004 and adding it to my hifi instead of getting a new CD player. I'm unsure of how to set this up with storage devices.

My main question is what options do I have for storage devices that I can connect to the Marantz NA7004 other than a PC or Mac? This may sound unusual, but I don't want my PC connected to it for two reasons:

(a) They're in two different locations
    (b) I don't want to have to leave my PC on just to listen to music (btw, I'm not interested in buying another PC just for this either).

Therefore, I was thinking of buying a small NAS or portable hard drive that could sit next to/with the HiFi. It would be best if this device could rip my CDs and if I could easily transfer high quality Flac / Wav files onto it.

Q1. Can I just plug a NAS or portable hard drive straight into the Marantz NA7004? (i.e. without involving a PC or router)

Q2. Is there anything else that is small and that I can have sat next to my HiFi/with my HiFi that can store my music and that can just plug straight in the Marantz NA7004?

Q3. Quality wise, what would be the best output for quality from any storage device to plug into the Marantz NA7004? Coaxial, Optical, USB or Ethernet?

Q4. If you plug an iPod or USB device into the Marantz NA7004, does it make the iPod/USB device's DAC redundant and is the Marantz's utilised? (which is obviously far superior)?

Q5. I'm presuming the USB on the Marantz NA7004 is not Asynchronous USB as I can find no mention of this in reviews or the online manual. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I appreciate all replies in advance and please, if you only have an answer for one of the questions, I'd still like to hear it!

Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  15. djnickm

djnickm Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    Hi, I recently upgraded from one of these so can answer all your questions....

Q1. Can I just plug a NAS or portable hard drive straight into the Marantz NA7004? (i.e. without involving a PC or router)

You can plug a portable USB hard drive or memory stick straight into the units USB slot. But a nas drive will need to go via a router unless the drive has a USB out.

Q2. Is there anything else that is small and that I can have sat next to my HiFi/with my HiFi that can store my music and that can just plug straight in the Marantz NA7004?

You could have an array of USB memory sticks with different genres of musical but that would just be a pita. I would just get a simple USB external hard drive and use that.

Q3. Quality wise, what would be the best output for quality from any storage device to plug into the Marantz NA7004? Coaxial, Optical, USB or Ethernet?

Well in terms of getting the data to your NA 7004, it can only be via ethernet or USB. We are talking the transfer of digital media files in their native raw form. Ie nothing to do with music, per se. It's like your sending an email, if you will.

But interms of the output from the NA 7004 to your hifi, well that will depend on whether your going into a dac / preamplifier that is better than the onboard dac then coax would be the obvious choice. Else if you have a hifi that perhaps lacks a dac or is not as good a sound as the dacs on the NA 7004 then use standard RCA phono outs from the player to your hifi.

Q4. If you plug an iPod or USB device into the Marantz NA7004, does it make the iPod/USB device's DAC redundant and is the Marantz's utilised? (which is obviously far superior)?

Yes. There would be no point in plugging in a music device unless you were wanting to route the music through the NA 7004.

Q5. I'm presuming the USB on the Marantz NA7004 is not Asynchronous USB as I can find no mention of this in reviews or the online manual. Does anyone know if this is the case?

No, the marantz is not asynchronous.

My advice to you is to get the player, it's great and can not be beat for the price. Get it on a router into your home network then you can control it from a plethora of apps, if you have an idevice that is, plug player and ps audio elyric are great apps. But the marantz own whizz app is also good.

Also invest in a nas, perhaps a second hand ripnas, these have built in cd drives so you can just load in you r cd collection. And store it all safe on the nas. All these devices really are plug and play, and no need for a pc at all. Unless you need to rip CDs and you haven't got a ripnas type device.

You can then control all from the arm of your chair, browse your music collection and at the touch of the pad your music is streaming and coming from your hifi in glorious quality. So so easy to use.

I will happily answer any questions you have on the NA 7004 or indeed this subject in general.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  16. miggyboys

miggyboys Member

Ratings:
    +1
    djnickm, thanks for the detailed answers, it certainly clears up a lot of questions. I think I'm looking at a NAS that has a ripper like RipNas - the last thing I want to be doing is messing around on a PC when I want to listen to music. I take it that a NAS doesn't then in turn have to be connected to a PC and that it acts as a stand alone device that I can just forget about? Are they generally silent in operation?

Thanks!
  17. asukrumercan

asukrumercan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    At the end my problem was solved.

I was getting "not authorized" message from marantz network player to connect my WD sharespace. I tried anything including, twonky media setup, network setup, and NAS setup, even I called Marantz help center.

I then desperately unplugged Marantz NP, router and turned off NAS. When I turned them on again, there was no more " not authorized" message.

It's working without any problem now.

I am not so happy with the Marantz apple app, so I am using mediaconnect appl. I think this is the only appl. that works in the background so even if you turn off your idevice, music continue to play.

I have downloaded almost a dozen DLNA controller appl. but when you turn them off, music stops playing.

Regards
  18. asukrumercan

asukrumercan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. fernar

fernar Member

Ratings:
    +2
    asukrumercan - sorry been travelling and didnt get a chance to respond to your question - but I am really gald to hear that you sorted out your problem.

On a different topic - I did have the the 'Network standby' options set on the N7000 and noticed that there was a number of 'empty' entries when I listed the music on the NAS..... turns out that wne NETWORK Standby' is set on the NA7004 keeps a local copy of the files on the NAS - and so if files (music) is deleted then the NA7004 shows the 'empty' entry. I fould the way to clear this up is to either set 'netwotk standby' to 'off' and then reboot the NA7004 and then select 'network standby' to 'on'

BTW the reason to selext 'network standby' to 'on' is that when trying to access musich on the NAS drive, the NA7004 does take a longer time to scan the music directory to identify the music file locations.

Differnet point - what do you all think of the ipod touch application? My view is that it needs a MAJOR update - at the moment it's not really suitable for an environment where there are thousands of music files - the scrolling - if you can it that - really is crap
  20. asukrumercan

asukrumercan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Fernar,

I agree with you, Wizz app is useless. I have more than 600 flac albums in my NAS and with using this app. it is difficult to find the album that I want to listen, it is also so slow and I can not see the cover art.

I have downloaded almost a dozen DLNA app., the best for me is mediaconnect, it also supports background music, so music never stops playing even if you turn off your idevice.
    Songbook and elyrics have also very good interface but music stops playing when you close the app.
  21. fernar

fernar Member

Ratings:
    +2
    After playong around with the NA7004 I have a few more observation...

I have now converted all the music files I have had from CD to WAV format - I found that the sound is much better than with MP3 or any other compressed music files ( I guess not surprising) - but the NA7004 is able to show the potential with uncompressed files. I didnt use an of the lossless formats as I have second older streamer that does not support FLAC or AAC but does support WAV. I also note that when playinbg WAV files, the artist and album information is no longer discplayed - I think this is because the metadata that contains this information is not preserved in WAV files and is not a issue with the NA7400.

Also experimented with analogue out vs digital optical out - in my systems (Tag AV32R + Bryston 4BSST2 ) the optical sounds better than via the analogue. However since FM radio is not output via any of the digital outputs I have both connected to the AV32R.

When I get a strong DAB signal the sound is acceptable (for the bit rate being transmitted) - I am sure that I will get a better sound when I manage to get around to replacing the free aerial (effectively a bit of wire in a 'T' shape) with something more suitable - but even with what I have the stations with higher bit rates sound acceptable.

I also see that there similar products from NAD, Dennon and Rotel - all more or less at about the same price point - but from a function point of view I think that Marantz is ahead - save for wifi - but even if the unit had wifi, I would still ahev used a wired ethernet connection for better speed and stability. So in my mind this NA7004 is the best product in the market for this price point. I wonder how if compares with the NIAM and Linn devices - from a pure streaming point of view - of course the Marantz also has FM and DAB radio which the Linn/NIAM devices dont have.
  22. djnickm

djnickm Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    I now have the linn akurate ds1 and the two players are incomparible.

IMO, the linn sounds better than my old £7000 accuphase cd player / dac.

The linn really gets your foot tapping. Giving new life to all your music. But then it should at 4.5 k.

A lot of the quality in the linn is down to virtually zero jitter.

Oh, and I too found the coax out from the NA 7004 utilising my rsp 1570 dacs to be the best sound option from that player.

It was a great stop gap for until I got the linn. Which sounds leaps and bounds better than the naim offerings.
  23. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I've just acquired an NA7004 for Christmas. I'll be setting it up later today.
  24. aliflack

aliflack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested to see how well this works with an external hard drive - I don't particularly want to buy a NAS as I've got a spare (AC powered) external HDD sitting around unused - but note the specs say it's slower when more than 1000 files are on the drive...

Anyone hard the chance to find out?
  25. jdp1962

jdp1962 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I'm not using mine with an NAS, but streaming songs stored on my pc. The first quirk I've noticed is that when I loaded new content onto the pc for the first time after having set up the connection, and authorised the Marantz to access the pc, the Marantz doesn't seem to "see" the new content. It only see what was there when I first set it up.

Anyone know how to fix this, as until I have a solution, I'm reluctant to switch from buying music in physical form to buying it in download form.
  26. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,428
    Does this do gapless playback? I'm surprised at how many apparently don't.
  27. djnickm

djnickm Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    No, I could not get the na7004 to play gapless.

The linn akurate ds1 is the first streamer I have had that will play gapless. As a dj that reviews 3rd party mix tapes this is very important to me.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,428
    Digging around it appears to only support gapless using Airplay. Which means iTunes & no FLAC.

Amazes me that so many of the "new" devices are unable to do what Squeezebox has been doing for years. I guess that's a result of relying on DLNA for serving.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  29. djnickm

djnickm Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    Ah good work around. It's not essentially supporting gapless moreover just acting as the audio stage for your idevice.

AirPlay is great, I use it on the linn for YouTube, spotify etc.

The squeezebox has to be the hands down worst streamer I have had the displeasure of owning. Constantly dropping out Internet radio and buffering. Tried a few to see if they were faulty but all did the same.

As soon as I moved to the na7004 I was stable and had great sound quality to boot. At the end of the day the squeezebox is cheap and as such operates in a suitable manor. I thought the sound quality on the sb to be mediocre at best. The onboard dac on my motherboard sounded better, but alas I digress from topic.
  30. mythos122

mythos122 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have an issue i cant solve and would be glad of some help please.

I have a Marantz NA7004 and a QNAP Nas Drive attached to the network, the Marantz player can see all the folders on the nas drive and play them fine.... the issue is when i connect an external hard drive to the nas drive. In the nas web interface it clearly shows the external hard drive with all my music on, but it does not show up on the Marantz NA7004.

I also have a Teac 300 series System up in the bedroom, and this picks the music up on my external drive no problem, but as i said i cant see it on the Marantz ??

I have tried the external hard drive in both NTFS & Fat32 file systems and neither format show on the marantz, but do on the Teac....what am i missing ?

Incidently if my External Hard drive is Formatted to FAT32 and plugged in the front of the Marantz via the USB port then the player picks it up fine, but i want to have it connected to my Nas drive so i can play from it on any device i have around the house (laptops, ipad, teac player etc)

If any one could help me solve this puzzle i would be very gratefull :confused:

Regards