1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MARANTZ DV12S2 high-end DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by MJeeves, Jun 23, 2004.

1. MJeeves

MJeeves Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Anyone know anything about the MARANTZ DV12S2 high-end DVD player?
  2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,753
    Its big, beautifully built and costs 2k. It will prog scan from component and DVI and is a universal as well. I've used one at various shows and am always impressed by it. Little features such as the video on/off switch and the excellent remote inspire a "feel good" factor in the unit and it does load and access discs quickly. The picture is good with no CUE or chroma issues (through an £8000 Marantz VP12 it must be said) and I'd certainly find house room for it. If you are using DVI, the Marantz DV8400 at £1200 and the forthcoming DV9500 (HDMI) run it close.
  3. MJeeves

MJeeves Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Is the DV9500 (HDMI) a Marantz player?

How come the top of the range doesn't have HDMI?

Will the DV9500 have HDMI and DVI? Will it be multi-region?

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:
  4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,753
    The 9500 will be a Marantz player. The 12 doesn't have HDMI because it is desinged in the first instance to mate with the VP12 and the plasma/LCD Marantz make without adaptors which it does admirably. The 9500 is DVI only and generally Marantz players can be persuaded to be multi region. I have no ideas on price or release date.
  5. Burton

Burton Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know if the DV 12S2 will allow Jpeg picture/ photo playback from CD.

This is really a nice to have but I have come to expect this feature on most dve players. I can't find any data to say it does and at £2k it would be a deal breaker especially when it appears to play just about everything else!
  6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,753
    The HiFi choice review had that box ticked but I've never tried as frankly it wouldn't be my first (or second, third or fourth) priority on a unit of this nature and there is certainly no chance to try at shows. Ultimately, you could buy a small plastic lump for £40 to do jpeg's.