Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz CR 502 vs Denon DRA F-107DAB

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by roh008, Nov 26, 2009.

1. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    What do people think between the two systems?
    All points of view welcome
    It's interesting the Denon quotes 65W/ch
    Rated Output
    4 Ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% THD (trying to inflate it's figures using 4 ohms or is this the standard)

I have not had the pleasure listening to these side by side has anyone else and with which speakers?
  2. wittetulp

wittetulp Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Superfi in Birmingham has got both in, so that is where i will be this weekend, trying to compare them (and some others), although i am not entirely sure how easy it is to make a judgement in that kind of environment (i.e. the shopfloor)
  3. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Well it's better than me, haven't been able to do a side by side comparison.

Let me know how it goes, and what speakers you try them out with.

Cheers!
  4. scorpion88

scorpion88 Member

Ratings:
    +178
    That's a hell of a saving on the Mazantz. If pushed I think personally I would go for this and audition with a selection of speakers such as I suggested earlier.

Take a few of your favourite familiar CD's and take some time to audition 'side by side'.

In terms of actual power there won't be much in it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either really.

Best of Luck

Scorpion
  5. wittetulp

wittetulp Member

Ratings:
    +1
  6. wittetulp

wittetulp Member

Ratings:
    +1
  7. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I don't speak german:confused:
    Do their's have DAB? They talk about RDS, you wouldn't talk about that if you had DAB.

Am not sure it does. Also radio is very dependant on signal strength?!

Have you been able to set up an audition for this weekend?
    If i lived closer would join you! Haha i've been dying to do a side by side comparison!

Let me know how it goes
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  8. wittetulp

wittetulp Member

Ratings:
    +1
    great service at superfi where I was given plenty of time in a nicequiet room.

Tried the marantz, denon f 107 and arcam with the wharfedale diamond 10.1, and was disappointed with the arcam, which tome sounded slightly "dull". Much preferred the stronger, better defined sound of the denon after which i wasn't too bothered about the marantz, whch was nothing better

It was then suggeste to try a pair of EPOS loudspeakers, down from 450 to 275, as nobody seems to like the cherry colour, and this definitely further enhanced the experience.

That was my system sorted. Not set up at home yet, but i am very pleased. :clap::clap::clap:
  9. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Am suprised the Arcam, didn't meet your expectations.
    Good to hear the Denon pleased you greatly.
    Am working out what pair of speakers go with it now.

Let me know once you've set it up how it's sounding!

Roh
  10. scorpion88

scorpion88 Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Glad your sorted - like roh008 above am surprised the Arcam didn't impress. Also interesting your comments about the Marantz. I would have expected better at 50 watts per channel and value with the discount.

That's a great discount on the well regarded EPOS speakers and together with the Denon should sound good.

Don't forget stands for the speakers and decent but not 'over the top' interconnects and speaker cable (about £2 per metre should do it).

Hope it all sounds great when set up at home.

All the best

Scorpion:)
  11. creepy

creepy Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Glad to see another DF107 owner.

I too am a bit surprised about your luke warm opinion of the Solo Mini. Whilst I have never done a direct comparison to the Denon, I have heard it in isolation and from memory I thought it to be the better of the two. However financial constraints meant I went for the cheaper option. But I am sure you will enjoy listening to your new purchase. It is a good sounding, well built system.
  12. scorpion88

scorpion88 Member

Ratings:
    +178
    I too have never heard both in direct comparison but the Arcam can sound 'warm' compared to the Denon but is certainly well regarded according to reviews. Likewise I have never heard the Denon but they do make very good such mac hines. I have owned a Marantz amp and was very impressed hence my surprise at this being dismissed so easily.

However this just highlights the benefits of auditioning all of the contenders and I too am sure you will your enjoy very much your new purchase particularly with those Epos Speakers.

Cheers

Scorpion
  13. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth Member

Ratings:
    +1

How much were they?
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  14. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Wittetulp just brought the Denon F-107 maybe he can let you know how that sounds.

Marantz is £360ish had a price drop earlier in the year. From £400+
  15. wittetulp

wittetulp Member

Ratings:
    +1
    clearly there are two groups of listeners to music, i.e the ones where every component needs to be absolutely perfect and who will go to great length to ensure that every component of a system is as good as it gets and well balanced producing that "perfect sound"

there is also the group who realises that life cannot be perfect, what sounds good on paper might not sound good to the ear and what sounds good in the perfect surroundings of a listening room in a hifishop, might not sound the same in the less perfect home surroundings, due to various restrictions (wife; "are you serious about putting those red speakers in the middle of the living room; you must be joking!!" me; "ok, one can go behind the sofa, and one can be hidden behind the TV (whilst thinking; wait till i am on my own...)"

Saying all that; last night i was listening to classical FM and was thoroughly enjoying what to me was a beautifull, well defined, rich and moving sound, feeling very happy with my purchase. Possibly i would have been as happy with the Arcam or marantz, or even happier, but i will never know now. Am I bothered about that?.......

So, anybody after a compact system; do consider the Denon as an attractive option, but be guided by what you hear as and when you try it out, and unless you are very critical and have the perfect listening environment, realise that most likely any of those major makes could well make you perfectly satisfied.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a quick q on the Denon DF107 which I would appreciate if someone could answer.

If you using plug in the ipod using a USB cable, can you control the song selection on your ipod via the remote. Also does the display on the Denon come up with a file directory or something to assist you navigate the ipod?

Thanks
  17. jpr141

jpr141 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Has anyone compared the denon f107 to the denon dm37 , if you have how much did the f107 out perform and sound beter than the dm37. If indeed it did sound better. Also people even if you havent comapred do you think there will be much diffence between them.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  18. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I was looking in to this myself before I decided to go for a different solution to my needs.

They are good at each price point. There is the expected improvement with the extra outlay in cost.
    I have been unable to do a direct comparison whereby the DM 37 and the Denon F107 were in the same room, that would have been a better comparison.

At the F107 price and when you add on a good pair of speakers, probably MA BR2 , Diamond 10.1 or something equivalent rather than the Tannoy F1 which would be good for the DM37 but a bit under par for the F107 the cost soon becomes close to enty level seperates.

If space is an issue than the F107 delivers the goods in a small package!

Hope that helps a little bit.

P.S. Just saw you have the DM 37, if you are happy with them and the F107 isn't going to be your main system probably not worth investing the extra cash?
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  19. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I believe the answer to this is yes. I had asked another forum member last year this question too.

It is a function that this F107 supports but not all other models do.
  20. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I hope that is true, that would be v v good if it does. The person in Richers said the DM37 doesn't (they don't sell the DF107 at the mo).

In respect of your other post where you say that something like Tannoy F1 is a bit under par for the DF107; but the Wharfedales 10.1s would be - do you think the Wharefdales 9.1 would be alright (more interested in them as they are front ported).

Cheers for the advice
  21. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I've been in your situation with front ported speakers. I would say try and audition the 9.1 with say MA BR2 with the F107 the 9.1 is £100 the BR2 is £200 if you are happy with the 9.1 stick with them. However the 107 would be fine with bigger speakers it has around 35watts per channel at around 8 ohms. It figures on the site are slightly inflated (65wpc @ 6 ohms 1khz)

to be honest if it's just based on the ipod connection save the money get yourself a deon dock £100 approx and that would still be less than the 107 £350 ex. speakers.

MA BR2 £200 F 107 £350 approx

compared to

DM37 + 9.1 + Dock £380

Roh
  22. creepy

creepy Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I own the DF107 and yes you can control the ipod via remote. There is a browse button the remote that allows you to scroll up and down artists,songs and playlists etc. All this is displayed on the DF107