Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic Eye won't fit

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by Bobred, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Bobred

Bobred Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have my Sky + box in a unit in the corner of the room and it is difficult to get box to recognise the remote due to the position of it. I bought a Magic Eye in the hope that this could be connected to aleviate the problem but it is different fittings on the Magic Eye compared to the aeriel that feeds the box. Can I get the Magic Eye to fit somehow or is there another solution?
    Thanks
  2. Broadz

Broadz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,480
    You don't fit the magic eye to the aerial lead that feeds the Sky box (the RF input). You fit it to the RF2 output - this then allows the Magic Eye to pick up the remote control signal from the remote, and feed the remote commands back to the Sky box.
  3. Bobred

Bobred Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The upstairs tv is fed by the RF2 output so no joy there. Any other ideas?
  4. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037

The TVlink (aka magic eye) requires the power that is supplied via the RF2 output to work, you can use RF1 to feed a telly in another room if you are not interested in controlling it from the other room leaving RF2 for the TVlink.
    I am assuming of course you are using RGB scart to connect the SKY+ to the TV and not an RF cable:)
  5. RS4Fluff

RS4Fluff Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Bobred,

Just to added to Starbust comments. Here's some info I find whilst surfing around.

Installing & Fault Finding Instructions For The Sky TV Link

The TVLink

Check the new TV Link is functioning correctly by connecting it directly to the back of the Sky Digibox. Do not use cable for this test, just the TV Link female connector plugged directly in to the RF2 output. Then turn the power ON to RF2 by following the 9 Steps at the bottom of this page; the voltage from RF2 should be at least 8 volts.

Be aware that the TV Link has a DC block on its male connector. Therefore, when running any tests the female connector should always face the Sky Digibox.

The Cable

Check that the TV Link functions correctly on the satellite cable you are about to install. Make sure the cable is at the length you will need and that you are using the connectors you will be using on completion. Once the installation is complete and if the TV Link no longer functions, it is likely to be the cable run. I.e. bad screening

When Installing a TV Link it is important to remember that where possible, the cable used should be satellite grade cable.

There is no specific length to be used for an install but some cable lengths can cause the TV Link to fail. We have found in testing that these lengths carry harmonics that can interfere with the TV Link signal. Changing the length by approximately 3 to 4 meters should cure the problem.

Some TVs can run 'open circuit', these will also affect the TV Link. Install a piece of cable between the TV Link and the 2nd TV; this will change the Impedance.

In tests of 100 meter cable runs it has been found that the pictures begin to degrade before the TV Link signals fail.

All products installed between the TV Link and RF2 on the back of the Sky Digital set top box must pass DC in both directions i.e. wall plates, splitters and amplifiers etc. If the LED on the TV Link is lit, a wall plate can still stop the return signal from the TV Link getting back to the Sky receiver.

For compatible TV Link splitters please see the our Sky Splitter section of the Website.

Installing your new TV Link

If you already have a Magic Eye (TV Link) installed then it is simply a case of removing the original and plugging the new one in. Should you be fitting one from scratch then please follow the steps below:

Before completing steps 1 to 4 please check that your TV Link is functioning correctly by turning on the RF2 setting (Steps 5 to 9), then plug the female end directly on to the RF2 outlet on your set top box.

Step 1

Turn your digibox off at the main power supply.

Step 2

Run your cable from the back of your Digibox to the second TV using the appropriate connectors.

Step 3

Plug the Magic Eye (TV Link) onto the end of the cable and then into the RF input on the back of your TV.

Step 4

Plug the cable into RF 2 on the back of your digibox and switch it on, then look to see if the red light has illuminated on the Magic Eye (TV Link), if it has then all you need to do now is tune your second TV to the appropriate channel. If however the light did not come on then please continue with the following steps.

Step 5

Press services on your Sky remote.

Step 6

Select "System Setup" (Number 4).

Step 7

Press 0 (zero), then 1, then “select” on your remote. Please note that there is not an option 0 (zero) on the screen, please press 0 (zero), then 1, then “select” anyway (this takes you to a secret menu).

Step 8

Select "RF Outlets" (Number 4).

Step 9

Turn the "RF Outlet Power Supply" on by pressing the green right arrow key on your Sky remote, then go down to "Save New Settings" and press “select”. The little red light on the TV Link should now be on and it should be working OK.

Note!

Should the red light not illuminate once the steps above have been completed, please check that a 'short' hasn't been created, this can be caused by having the inner core touching the outer braided part of the cable, normally by the connector ends.

Sky TVLink Questions Recently Asked

Can the TV Link be used with other equipment besides the Sky Digibox, for example an NTL Cable box?
    Global Communications designed the link for use with Sky digital equipment only, this includes the standard Sky box, Sky Plus box and Sky HD box.

I was told that to be able to watch and control Sky from another location in my home I would need a Magic Eye or a remote sender, is the TVLink the same sort of device?
    The Sky TVLink is called many things, one of which is a Magic Eye. Although some people do refer to the TVLink as a "remote sender", normally they would be talking about a wireless remote sender such as the Televes Digidom.

I can view Sky on three TVs in my house, is it possible to connect a TV Link to all of them?
    You can run up to eight Links at the same time by utilising the use of a Sky splitter, the T180 splitter (8 way) can be used for up to eight Links and is powered by the mains in your home, you can use a T120 splitter (Up to 2 TV Links) or a T140 splitter (up to 4 TV Links), both of which are powered by the RF2 outlet on your digibox.

I obviously need to run a cable from my box to my bedroom, does this have to be special cable?
    As with most things, the better the quality, the better the result, due to this we would recommend using satellite cable rather than coax cable.

RS4Fluff
  6. Bobred

Bobred Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The tv that is fed by the RF2 has a magic eye, as that needs to be switched over independantly. I am guessing that I will have to put up with my problem then?

I am using the scart Sky>Tv also.
  7. Bobred

Bobred Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RS4 fluff...........Thanks for that, I think I may need some sort of spitter reading that info.:smashin:
  8. RS4Fluff

RS4Fluff Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Bobred,

A simple Y splitter plugged into the RF2 port should sort it.

http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=202

I have a 3 magic eyes connecting to a Global T140 in my loft and that works ok. So I can't see why a Y splitter shouldn't work.

RS4Fluff
  9. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Most of them are "isolated"...they have isolating capacitors which pass the RF signal but will block (and not pass) the 9v DC.
  10. genehuntswisdom

genehuntswisdom Member

Ratings:
    +0
    right

i have tested my magic eye directly on the back of the box...it works

however when i connect it to my cable upstairs the power isn't reaching the magic eye. i can get a great picture upstairs (granted using a booster box) but the magic eye won't come to life.

the cable i'm using is basically aerial cable is this a problem?,

thanks in advance
  11. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,576
    See post no6 in this thread.
  12. genehuntswisdom

genehuntswisdom Member

Ratings:
    +0
    still non the wiser...i don't really want to spend any cash on fixing the problem....so do i just put up with changing the channel from my living room?:lease:

i don't know..sky sucks lol

sorry if missing the point....i've had beer lol