Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac users What you use lightroom or aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rookies, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    As title really and how do you like it? Also have you moved from one to another for any reason?
  2. achoudry

achoudry Active Member

Ratings:
    +422
    I use Aperture and find it usable. I haven't explored Lightroom so don't have any opinions on which is better overall.

From all the threads / reviews I have read, however, they are both good but it really comes down to the user and which one suits your way of working.
  3. razer1

razer1 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Lightroom all the way for me.. used it in windows first and now stuck with it on mac.. Not tried aperture prob wont tbh..
  4. shotokan101

shotokan101 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +13,205
    As much as I love Lightroom (windows user) - I've seen a few Mac user say that Aperture works in a much more integrated fashion with the Mac OS compared to Lightroom... I'm sure Dejong will be along to clarify :)
  5. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Await for dejong to pop along as be interested hear what he says.
  6. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel Active Member

Ratings:
    +348
    I have both and settled on LR, LR4 is exceptionally good, particularly around under/over exposure adjustment
  7. scottkil

scottkil Member

Ratings:
    +72
    I used to use Aperture 3 but moved across to Lightroom 3 and then Lightroom 4. I agree that the integration into OSX is better with Aperture especially if you want to have your library synced to your iphone etc. but overall I prefer the processing of Lightroom and also its integration with photoshop etc. I also find my library takes up less space with Lightroom.

Trials are available for both (or certainly used to be) so give them a go and see which you prefer.
  8. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I've been a longtime aperture user but find the processing lacking and trail of Lightroom blows me away. Think I am afraid of switching
  9. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Does LR have a back up facility like aperture vault?
  10. razer1

razer1 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Yes it does!

I too find lightroom quicker espec for batch processing raw files - saves going through them in ps.
  11. tontoshorse

tontoshorse Active Member

Ratings:
    +711
    Lightroom, blooming marvellous. Yes it backs up, but not sure if its similar to Aperture.
  12. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    How do u mean by this pls?
  13. razer1

razer1 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    have a backup facility like aperture..

Also makes it batch processing images faster than having to open things in photoshop.
  14. Peakoverload

Peakoverload Member

Ratings:
    +150
    I have both. I used to use Aperture all the time and do still love it but I must admit that since LR3 I now use LR exclusively. What I will say is that Apertures library management leaves LR in the shade, it's simply way, way better. Apertures RAW processing is superb but, since LR3, LR is as good, possibly better, and definitely quicker and easier to use. The big difference between the two though is speed. Aperture even using a beefy Mac (mine is a 3.1Ghz i5 with 16GB RAM) is slower than LR and sometimes noticeably. However if you use a lot of iWork and iLife applications than the way Aperture integrates with them and OSX is a pure joy to use and leaves LR in it's wake.
  15. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    My reason for Lightroom being better is the processing side of things. The NR for one is brill and I have found the highlight and shadow works better on it too.
  16. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Aperture all the way for me. I have creative cloud subscription so access to Lightroom. To me the ui and workflow is a mess. Library management is very convoluted it doesn't have to be so hard. It lacks the powerful brushes as far as I can seen.

Yes I heard NR and lens correction are very good. To be honest I use one or more flashes if it need good light, I probably have used Nik software define about 4 times to remove noise in the last year. Get your exposure right and it isn't a problem.

But osx integration you just can't beat Aperrture. I love how my photos are available anywhere and you don't have to export to share. Heck an upload to avforums is as simple as drag and drop from aperture library (raw nef) to the upload button and it all happens automatically b

Did I say I prefer aperture :)
  17. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I've gone back to aperture the past few hours and trying to learn more about the brush :) and they do appear to be more powerful indeed maybe I need to learn he use aperture to it full..

How you got this drag and drop set up for this forum this new to me.
  18. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    I had a one-2-one session at my local apple store, first 'genius' wan't very good, but second (i complained about the lack of knowledge) was excellent...He showed me how to edit photos in an intuitive manner, and then showed the tricks in Photoshop/Lightroom (which all machines have as well)...To me a non-layer person it is just so much more natural....

Nothing special to drag and drop....Just make certain the window for reply is in advanced, click manage attachments, then just drop the file onto 'choose file' button...Works here, and basically anywhere on the internet...Very easy and convenient, it will automatically convert your raw image to an appropriate jpg and upload it...No exports, no duplicates, just straight and simple integration.
  19. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Yeah I wish I had One-2-One sessions now but didnt op for it :(
  20. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Someone just said aperture 4 or x is just round the corner. I honestly think it be next year
  21. rctneil

rctneil Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I tried out Lightroom several years ago mainly, at that time, just to keep track of my photos and to keep them organised. I have loved it. Not looked back. Key wording and filtering work perfectly. Love re publish options and creates a perfect workflow to get my photos from Lightroom to my custom gallery on my website in just the format I like
  22. Banongading

Banongading Member

Ratings:
    +3
  23. sneeks

sneeks Active Member

Ratings:
    +407
    I use Aperture. I have tried LR but didn't enjoy using it.
  24. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    What didnt you like about Lightroom.

I have finding Lightroom as arse to go back and forth to library etc and to develop.. But the processing tools seems to be different then again the brush tools in Aperture seem more powerful.

Ive found Sharpening in Aperture works more better than Sharpening in Lightroom.

I reckon when Apple brink out Aperture 4 or Aperture X it going be Kick Ass
  25. rctneil

rctneil Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The great thing about Lightroom compared to Aperture is the fact it runs on both Windows and OSX

I realise this doesn't show how good the program is but it is another plus on Lightrooms side
  26. shotokan101

shotokan101 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +13,205
    Looks interesting - how are you finding it then - and does it have any catlogueing/library features ?
  27. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    This still driving me nut as much as I prefer stay with aperture but yesterday was using Lightroom again and portraits looks more natural in LR than aperture. Argh
  28. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    In aperture you can set the colour space of the photos being displayed for professional proofing. Have you set it correctly?
  29. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I've no idea ha ha care to help me how set up
    Correctly. Also send me a screen shot how you got your library looking like with folders etc.

Cheers
  30. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Dejong have you any tips for me pls :) you seem such a keen aperture user and would like you help :)

Do you store you images as reference as I do.. It the colour and processing side am trying get correct. Show us a image u done in aperture pls :)