1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&k Mx-70b

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SpiderManPants, Feb 10, 2003.

1. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I've just won an M&K MX-70B at auction on Ebay.
    I have never heard one of these subs in action, so I bought it blind, apart from reading a couple of favourable reviews. I was wondering if anyone has any experience and/or information on these?

I will be running it with a Denon 3801 and 4 B&W 601 S3's.

My room size is 16' x 11'.

Also, if there is anyone with experience of both this model and the Kef TDM 45B, I would love to hear your thoughts as to how they compare.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

SMP
  2. Matt F

Matt F Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The MX70B is a cracking little sub. The MX are M&K’s finest and use two drivers in a push-pull configuration – the MX70B is, I believe the cheapest at around a grand. It has a very small footprint - it is taller than it is wide or deep and, considering it only uses 8” drivers it’s low frequency response of 27Hz +/-2dB (M&K use realistic figures unlike some) is very impressive. Okay so some subs go deeper than this but the M&K gives you a high quality performance for music and movies and takes up very little space.

More info on the MX70B here: http://www.mksound.com/mx70b.html

The KEF TDM45B is a monster – 15”, 400 watt amp. It’s a THX sub and, I would say that it is more suited to movies than music – deep rumbling bass is more of it’s thing rather than ultimate accuracy, especially in the 40Hz and above range.

Out of the two, in a movie only system I would consider the KEF but for music and movies I’d go for the M&K and sacrifice a little extension for the sake of accuracy.

These are just my opinions though – others may disagree. Either way, you’ve bought yourself a fine sub.

Matt.
  3. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Matt,

I can't wait to get my hands on it now. I will be using it for both Music and movies, and as you say, it has a very small footprint, which is just what I wanted!

And all for the bargain price of £360!!!

There's hardly any info about it anywhere online though, apart from M&K's site and Audioreview. - strange...
  4. dejongj

dejongj Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats, you beat me to it! I didn't want to pay too much for an unknown product but it sounds that you have bought a cracking little sub.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul
  5. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jean-Paul,

It was kind of blind, but M&K are hardly 'unknown'. I had read some positive reviews and it looked like a steal at the price, esp. since the list price is £1050 and you know what trying to get a discount on M&K stuff is like!

Plus it is very small, which was a must for me, having previously owned a Kef TDM 45B (15" Driver in huge black box!!) which nearly led to divorce!

SMP
  6. common

common Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah you got a good deal there !

;)

see you sunday

Shane
  7. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL,

It's such a small world with all this t'internet stuff...

See you Sunday Shane

SMP
  8. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Smaller than you might imagine if that is the one that my cousin Chip J sold ;)