1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

low cost speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by robotix, Mar 23, 2009.

1. robotix

robotix Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm moving some equipment around so need around 12m of speaker cable to connect my amp & speakers (Rotel RA04/B&W DM601 S3).

Currently using QED original, but looking for something cheaper (i.e. £20-30 in total) with similar performance if possible, although living in a flat it might be a good idea if there was slightly less bass response :D

I may also decide to bi-wire.

Maplin/Richer Sounds seem to be in my price range so can anyone recommend specific ones from their ranges? Or anything else? I see the van damme range is well thought of here.
  2. Strobe

Strobe Active Member

Ratings:
    +481
    I would check out Ebay as there are often some bargains to be had, end of reel stuff and such like. I picked up 25m of Black Rhodium T50 for £25 - so a £1/m against £2.50/£3/m retail.
  3. davepuma

davepuma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,013
    VDC blue gets my vote. Also, check audiovisualonline for the fisual stuff, their other cables are good quality so there should be something that fits the bill.
  4. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Anything with plenty of copper. Van Damme blue, Studiospares, Fisual (not sure of exact model - they do a cheap but thick cable) and many more. Easily <£2/m

edit: Also, don't bi-wire, just use a nice thick cable for the run and replace the jumpers with some speaker cable if you're worried about them.
  5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,760
  6. robotix

robotix Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys. Thats 3 votes for the van damme blue then. I'll check out the others too.

Those isolation risers look good but can't see any prices :confused: I bet those are pricey

with regards to the advice not to bi-wire I thought this was generally considered to improve sound? or is it one of those hifi industry/press things which most consumers ignore? don't wanna start any arguments :)
  7. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Yes, definitely a What Hi-Fi thing :) Sells twice as much speaker cable!

Bi-Amping however is potentially another story and not so easily dismissed.
  8. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Oh btw a GRAMMA pad is about £35-40.