Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lovefilm.com discussion

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by RPD_UK, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPD_UK

RPD_UK Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Just wanted to guage what other members of lovefilm.com thinks about their service recently.

I was a member of Lovefilm before they recently merged - and received discs very regularly. Unfortunately instead of improving after this 'expansion' they have got steadily worse.

I now regularly see "awaiting allocation" on my 3 rental slots on their web site - even though i have nearly 40 discs in my queue. This includes some old TV series and some films that have been out a while - so there should be no excuses for not sending new discs out promptly.

Back before they merged i was receiving a much better service from them but just recently i have had to wait upto 2 days between them receiving my discs back and them even sending out some new ones - and then you have to add on another day or 2 for the discs to actually get to me.

I'm thinking that all their "3 month free" type deals have 'shot them in the foot' as too many 'tight wads' out there just sign up for the free period then cancel - whilst in the mean time hogging all the discs paying members should be receiving.

It is also increasing difficult to contact Lovefilm as they dont even have a 'contact us' option on their front page - and have recently removed the customer service phone number. Now they only have only email or snail mail options. I wonder why ?

If this poor service continues i will be forced to cancel.

Anyone else had a similar experience or delays with their discs ?
  2. Russellgti

Russellgti Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Speed of delivery seems ok. However it seems crazy that if you add say all 5 seasons of Family guy they say that they can't send them in season order hence the first 2 discs they sent me was season 5 disc 1 and season 4 disc 1. Judging by the response and the names it would seem that this has been outsourced to India.
  3. cebs_uk

cebs_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +250
    Hi,

I've been a member for a while and now and as you said I see "awaiting allocation" quite a bit now.

Who have they merged with, I missed all that news.

I agree in that that don't seem as fast as they used to but I still get 2 deliverys a week so on average 24 films a month is not to bad for £15.99.

Cebs
  4. mrm3

mrm3 Member

Ratings:
    +99
    agree with OP :mad:
  5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,844
    I'm on a three month trial with them and have found them very fast.

Posted 2 discs back Monday, received replacements Wednesday. Can't ask better than that.
  6. RPD_UK

RPD_UK Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Unfortunately Greg, once you have finished your trial and (say for instance) you start paying the monthly fee, i think you will find the Lovefilm deliveries slow down considerably - mainly because other people on the 'trial periods' will get preference in order to try to make sure they are suitably impressed and, therfor, sign up.

Of course most people don't sign up - and so the above cycle continues.

Sad but true.
  7. stegboy

stegboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been with lovefilm for over a year. Over the past week I've seen a vast improvement in their service. As soon as my films are returned, I seem to have another one allocated within hours and through the letterbox the next morning.

It hasn't always been like this but can't knock it at the mo! :thumbsup:
  8. RPD_UK

RPD_UK Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I've had the odd week like that too - unfortunately it doesn't last very long.
    They really need to be able to offer this kind of service all the time - but recently it has become very un-reliable.
  9. Waynej

Waynej Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    They merged with ScreenSelect < Which is the rental company I was with. Since the merge its been quite appauling and have considered cancelling for some time now. I wasn't too pleased recently as I sent 2 discs back in the same envelope (Prison Break and Xbox Live Arcade), and shortly after I noticed Prison Break had shown as returned but the game did not. So had a crappy form to fill in which stated if I fail to return the form complete then they will charge me &#163;50. I wouldn't mind but the damn thing was only about &#163;10 on play.com at the time.

I'm still unsure whats happening their, I don't think they ave charged me. The form was sentin over the xmas period but the topic has refreshed my memory and so will check the account tomorrow.
  10. pjclark1

pjclark1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +289
    I think they are great.
    I joined on a 3 months for the price of one deal. That ended just before Christmas so I phoned up and cancelled and was offered pay one month and get three months free.

Three dvds arrive each week, 12 dvds a month for less than a fiver can't be beaten.
  11. Mickey G

Mickey G Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You have to be realistic about it. I average about a £1 per DVD which includes postage. No Hastle, no late fees. A bargin for new releases.

Sure, they are a bugger to get hold and their customer service is terrible but it's still good value for money and if it's isn't then go somewhere else.

I also tried to cancel my account and the gave 3 months for the price of 1.
  12. dobobobo

dobobobo Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yep.

As for your first post. The same thing was happening to me two years ago with LoveFilm. Their customer service was bad back then and based on your post they've got even worse. I left LoveFilm to join Tesco, but now LoveFilm power Tesco's DVD rental. Service has been the same as the old supplier so far, but like you say it's all about serving the trial customers. Though to be fair you have to take into account the number of employees they have. Yes they could employ more but maybe more would mess up the system...?

I suggest you join Tesco, even though they are powered by LoveFilm, Tesco have always listened to me and there are many ways to contact them.
  13. RPD_UK

RPD_UK Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the reply - though i would be cautious to sign up with a '3rd party' rental service who are essentially run by the same people - though it would certainly be nice to be able to contact them easier and not have to rely on email.

Time will tell.

If Lovefilm continue messing me around i will just go elsewhere.
  14. dobobobo

dobobobo Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with you about third party. I signed up with Tesco because at the time they were the cheapest and no one could be worse than LoveFilm. Tesco really just do it for their brand. Which in turn means if LoveFilm **** up and people complain directly to Tesco, then Tesco will likely do something about it. The company is so big that they can easily change supplier. I'd go as far as to say, they could influence the change in management at LoveFilm if they threatened to change supplier.
  15. fathazza

fathazza Member

Ratings:
    +36
    been with them 8 months or so...

has been a bit patchy, especially after the merger with screenselect.

last few weeks ive had really good service tho i have to say. Sent mine back yesterday. Got a dispatch email today... since the new year its mostly been a 2-3 day turn around for me.. so i cant complain
  16. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +490
    I've probably been with them for about 18months although at times I wonder why. The way they decide on discs makes no sense and I rarely get any new releases when they come out.

It's been a bit better since I trimmed my list down to about 25 titles but even then I can wait 6 months to get a title I've had since before release and has been at priority one since release - still get allocated 3rd choice on a regular basis ...
  17. Speedoguy

Speedoguy Active Member

Ratings:
    +642
    Like an earlier poster I was with Screenselect and since they merged with Lovefilm, it has been pants basically.Will see how it goes now that the Christmas,New Year period is well and truly over but if it doeasn't improve then i'm offski.

Also just noticed that they now have HD DVD's to rent(only a dozen at moment by the look of it)- anywhere else do this?.
  18. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,844
    They do have quite a lot of HD-DVDs for rent and my rental list is full of them. Unfortunately despite being high priority and all the other SD films being low priority, I have only received two HD films so far being Batman Begins and King Kong. Presumably they don't have too many copies to go around.
  19. satinder

satinder Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Ive been with Screenselect and now LoveFilm for 9 months and can safely say that the DVD turnaround has got slower the longer i have been with them :mad: . I think for me its a combonation of the slow postal service and LoveFilm having some problems with the changeover. I get 2 DVD's a week, but i'm on a 2 DVD's at a time plan and i have over 400 DVD's (around 1/3 are boxsets) in my list which would take years to get through at this pace :rotfl: . I also notice that its nearly impossible to get the latest titles sent to me.

Im considering the possiblity of changing to another rental service, can anyone who uses another company tell us about there experience?

Sat
  20. RPD_UK

RPD_UK Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I'm in the same position - watching some old (and new) TV Series on DVD with lovefilm.com. I'm about halfway through 3 seperate 'Seasons' and they just recently stopped sending them and started sending me all films instead of a mix of films and TV series DVD's like they used to.

Typical. :rolleyes:

Even more annoying is the continual delay waiting for them to send discs out - much slower than last year.

In fact even though they claim to send new discs out the day after they receive them back they have failed to do this on numerous occasions.

As i stated previously I'm starting to see the words "awaiting allocation" on their site far too often these days.

I wrote an email to complain - but they avoided answering most of my questions - though they did send me an extra disc this week.

Which is nice.

The sad thing is that when it works (as it should - and did last year) this is a good service - but if they keep slowing down their deliveries on this scale i can see a lot of lovefilm.com members looking for other suppliers.
  21. rb5201

rb5201 Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Ive been with screenselect for about 2 years now, never had a problem until they merged. Initially slowed down, but seems to be back to normal now, maybe teething problems from the merger. Normally if I post a dvd back on say a monday, Ill get another within 2-3 days. My only gripe is I dont seem to ever get the newer films out until some time after they have been released, despite having them as priority. Sticking with them for now, though may threatem to cancel if it means I get a couple of free months out of them as others have! Works with sky!!
  22. domtheone

domtheone Active Member

Ratings:
    +846

Just you wait till you start paying then:rotfl: :rotfl: ;)
  23. xelallah

xelallah Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I just signed up on a three month free trial yesterday, the main thing that tempted me was being able to rent games as well, but apparently you can't do that in the free trial? Does anyone know how I can rent games off them?
  24. chaddy

chaddy New Member

Ratings:
    +71
    All i can say is that they have been great.
    I'm on the combined account (dvds & games) but only on 1per house.
    I got Condemed (360) and kept that for 2 months then sent it back and 3 days later the Omen came watched that and sent it back 2 days later only to recieve NHL 07 (360) Pride And Prejudice and murderball all at once with 2 days of sending the Omen back.
    Great service
  25. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris Member

Ratings:
    +27
    i've had nothing but trouble with them.

they.ve lost two discs i returned then tried to get me to pay for them:nono:

also they sent me the wrong disc in the correct disc sleeve, then just this week they sent me syriana which i've been wating to watch for ages and the discs is knackerred!!!!:mad:

i'm cancelling my contract and i would advise people to steer clear as they are a bunch of clowns.

sorry about the rant :rolleyes:

Chuck
  26. av_101

av_101 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I've been with Tesco for about 6 months, at first the service was spot on...more recently like others i see the Awaiting allocation quite a bit...:thumbsdow
  27. PHandM

PHandM Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Good luck cancelling!!!

You might be lucky and speak to an assistant who understands english.
  28. satinder

satinder Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Ive had that problem as well, some of the discs they sent me were in unplayable condition. Either they would be scratched enough for my DVD player not to except them or they'd have massive cracks in them :eek:.

I think i will cancel when my yearly contract is up, unless the service improves by then.

Sat
  29. RPD_UK

RPD_UK Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Yes - start paying. :rotfl:
  30. DIPESH14

DIPESH14 Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Sorry to go off topic here but just some advice needed, I've just got a copy of a film from Lovefilm but on viewing it comes up with the warning that its not a rental copy and I should phone the number and report it! Would it be really cheeky to report it...?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.