Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud car subwoofers in traffic jams & the law?

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Mylo, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Mylo

Mylo Active Member

Ratings:
    +397
    What is the law regarding loud car stereos being used in non residential areas?
    I play my music very loud in the car and probably upset a fair few other motorists when traffic stops moving. While this may be annoying to some, is it against the law?

Obviously when I enter a residential or commercial area the volume is reduced and the windows are all shut to keep the noise in.
    I don't like people doing outside my house, so I don't do it myself:)
  2. William123

William123 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Bloody pests, they should be fined for noise pollution
  3. p203557

p203557 Member

Ratings:
    +34
    If the vehicle is in a public area or on the public highway it is a matter for the Police as they have powers under Regulation 97 of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 to prohibit the use of a vehicle emitting avoidable excessive noise. If in a particular case playing a stereo at excessive volume amounted to driving without reasonable consideration for others contrary to Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and was causing or was likely to cause alarm, distress or annoyance, the driver may be liable to having his vehicle seized under the provisions of Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002.

However for the vehicle to be seized the owner / driver must be served with a warning and ignore that warning. Not likely to get that far but the law is there!!
  4. p203557

p203557 Member

Ratings:
    +34
  5. Mylo

Mylo Active Member

Ratings:
    +397

I have to admit that drowning out the noise from a rep-mobile during one of the M25's many jams has provided me with some amusement in the past:rolleyes:
  6. Dynaudio Desire

Dynaudio Desire Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Mmmm My brother has got 2 12" audibahn subs in his boot of a Vauxhall Astra.

How can anyone put up with it?? The pressure is phanominal.
  7. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I cannot see why people have to have the music very loud unless there practicaly deaf or want to be.:D

Music above a level no longer becomes music to me but noise, mind you most of the stuff they churn out today at low levels can be classed as noise. :devil:

I’m sure music turned up too loud is also detracting for the driver and also could drown out traffic information such as getting out of the road of emergency vehicles well in time.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Mylo

Mylo Active Member

Ratings:
    +397
    15" JBL :D The windows need to be open to let it really sing. Owning a Volvo means I can deafen myself with the windows up with very little sound leaking out compared to other marques I've owned. If the bass drowns out the other frequencies then there is no point in my book, just like with HC :lesson:

I check my mirrors and surroundings regularly so emergency vehicles are not a problem.
  9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK New Member

Ratings:
    +315
    It really wouldn't be so bad if they sounded good, but the majority of them have too much bass, and it's forced bass at that. Just like oversized "boom boxes". They're not listening to the music, they're just trying to show off, and making themselves look idiots in the process.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. T-Bone

T-Bone Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Cars for driving, Homes for Hi-Fi's IMO. :thumbsup:
  11. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,593
    You generaly hear tham long before thay come into vision thus giving you time to find a safe spot to pull over, a lot of the time if you only spot them in the mirror etc it could be too late.
  12. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,086
    Agreed. What's worse is you are sitting quite comfortably, vegging out in front of a decent film, and some chav you can hear approaching from half a mile away, screams past (they never drive anywhere below 60) with either A) Dance or B) Rap blaring out of his pratmobile at 100watts per channel. Result, moment lost and kettle put on.......... :mad:
  13. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Except when they come from a side street through the red light...
  14. Mylo

Mylo Active Member

Ratings:
    +397
    Jenn, have you read my posts?

In residential areas the music is turned down and I am well aware of my surroundings.
    If a vehicle managed to jump a red light at a junction it would make no difference whether I had the stereo on or not, exactly the same as any other driver:rolleyes:
    I do 21k miles a year on average and have never been involved in or caused an accident, can you claim to be as careful a driver?
  15. av2diefor

av2diefor Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Best place to listen to music is in the car.

If you have a decent system it can go as loud as you can bear with no distortion and perfect clarity.

Nobody to whinge at your choice of music, no neibours banging on the wall,pure bliss..turn it up Mylo...:thumbsup:
  16. William123

William123 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Speed limit is 20 mph in our area, that mean's it takes the buggers longer to pass.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was Donald Peers they were playing :D
  17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK New Member

Ratings:
    +315
    Careful or lucky ? If you have your car stereo on so loud that you can't hear warning sirens or warnings from other drivers, I would say lucky.
  18. Nick_UK

Nick_UK New Member

Ratings:
    +315
    If you have a 'decent system' there should be no need to have it 'as loud as you can bear' to enjoy it. Also, the car is not the best place to listen to music, because you always have an accompaniment of engine noise, road noise, and wind noise.
  19. GJC

GJC Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Same could apply to Homes too: Wife making noise (turn that down:D ), fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, cars driving past outside, neighbours, In fact IMO a car offers better isolation to listen to music than the home.

Just my 2p.
  20. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I do find it annoying if in a traffic jam and I have my windows down to get some fresh air whilst listening to maybe Talk Sport or Cricket commentary but can't hear a thing as someone next to me has all his windows down and the music blaring out. It's as if he wants the whole world to listen to what he's got on. I have to shut my windows and put the air-con on to be able to hear what I've got on.
  21. Beobloke

Beobloke Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Not if most of your music is on vinyl..............:D
  22. av2diefor

av2diefor Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, cars dont do turntables..unless you can "pimp" your ride..:D

More to do with being alone in your car and listening to your favourite "beat" with no intrusions, also it helps to sing along as when its loud you dont realise how bad your voice is..;)

I must be honest, i hate to hear "other users" banging the base...:D
  23. GJC

GJC Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Lowering the tone :D No pun intended......*walks away*
  24. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    LOL

Talking of Pimp my Ride & subwoofers, did anyone see the american version where they fited a massive subwoofer which weighed 300lbs into the back seat of a car. They had to build a tubular frame to support it

They also fitted an illuminated warning sign if it got too loud
  25. GJC

GJC Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I think it was a 'Magnet' sub - could be wrong though.
  26. lostinspace

lostinspace Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Maye playing music too loudly in public should be regarded as broadcasting and need a PRS licence?

Only complete ar*****es play their crappy rap/hiphop/garage s***e so more than just they can hear it anyway. It's a sign of low IQ, like wearing baseball caps the wrong way round. IMO.
  27. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Emergency vehicles go through red lights and have the sirens on to warn traffic. With your music you wouldn't hear them and you could cause an accident.

21k miles a year without an accident isn't anything exceptional. Both my dad and father in law do 2 or 3 times that and haven't caused an accident (touch wood).

Good for you if you have enough respect not to put it loud in residential areas. But I still can't understand the need to put it so loud in other places.
    I would rather have the clearest best quality sound to appreciate every note of the music than a ***** bass drowning everything else.
  28. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,744
    I don't think that in a traffic jam other people should be forced to listen to what you are listening to or be unable to hear their own stereo over the volume of someone elses. It is just plain rude.
  29. Mr Cat

Mr Cat New Member

Ratings:
    +65
    if I'm driving at a decent speed (60mph+) then generally the car is louder than the music, it's only when I'm doing around 30mph is when I'm able to hear thje music at a dedent volume, but even then it's not that loud...
  30. Mr Cat

Mr Cat New Member

Ratings:
    +65
    yeah, and when you've got a car full of young boy racers parked up next to you - what can you say to them anyway..?? you'll get threatened!