Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOTR 6.1 DTS HD-MA no rear channel on Onkyo 605

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by ShortNick, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ShortNick

ShortNick Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Help!! Just sat down to watch LOTR on Bluray hoping to get 6.1 sound but all I'm getting via my Onkyo 605 is 5.1:confused:Checked all the settings - DTS HD-MA 7.1 works fine, so does DTS ES 6.1, but nothing from the rears on HD-MA 6.1. Checked with a couple of other discs and they don't work either. Have I got a problem with my amp or can it just not decode this format??
  2. jwlawler

jwlawler Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I haven't tried that disc but I have had some 7.1 trouble. I bought 3:10 from Yuma (not normally my sort of film) since it was a bargain and would be my first 7.1 disc. I had great trouble getting it to work. I finally discovered that it will work through all channels provided that I go into the Onkyo set-up menu and come out. I don't need to change anything, just go in and out. However, the rear channels stop working again if I do anything such as pause, chapter skip, fast froward etc. Very annoying.

I haven't seen any 6.1 BluRays. I had an SD of The Golden Compass which had a 6.1 DTS track and it worked okay.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. classic46

classic46 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a 7.1 setup, you have to choose PCM out of your BluRay player, then you will get sound in all 7 speakers. Works nicely on all DTS HD MASTER BluRays, but not on DOLBY TRUE HD.
    I use Panasonic BD DMP 55 into a Harman Kardon AVR 460. Good luck
  4. missinglink

missinglink Member

Ratings:
    +43
    LOTR does not have a true 6.1 soundtrack, even though the set up option seems to give that impression!

It has a DTS HD MA 6.1ES if you read the jacket carefully (English ES it states)

So the 6th rear channel is matrixed and not a discrete channel.

On your Onkyo - for some reason it only reads it as a 5.1 mix - you need to force the ES mode by pressing the movie mode button until the ES option comes up (I have the 606 model and had to do this).

You will then get the 6th channel which is well used and worth enabling!
  5. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,484
    At risk of going way off forum topic - is it worth having now, rather than waiting for an extended version Bluray?
  6. Duke

Duke Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Hey Logiciel,

I was reading in a couple of reviews of the LOTR Blu-Ray that if you've already got the extended DVD box set in your collection (like just about every other home cinema fan), it's not worth spending the cash on this set, as it reeks of studio opportunism and greed (I'm paraphrasing), and that it's best to wait for the extended cut on Blu-Ray - which is due out (later this year?) to cash in on the hype that is bound to surround the release of The Hobbit in cinemas.

That said, it's still toward the top of my shopping list:D
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  7. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,484
    Thanks very much Duke - just what I wanted to hear.:thumbsup:
    Logi
  8. Duke

Duke Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Your most welcome Logiciel...

...But don't even get me started about the paltry, bare bones, first release of Avatar on Blu-Ray. There are at least 2 more versions due out in less than a year - the next one a "Special Edition", and a little later (when 3D displays start selling) the 3-D version... and how much you wanna bet that they'll then release a 3D "Special Edition"?:mad:

But this is NOT the correct forum for this topic - humblest of apologies everyone...

Sometimes though, no matter where you are, no matter the social circumstance, when the mood takes you, ya just gotta have a good rant:D
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010