Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost All ITV, Channel 4, 5 stations (Granada Region)

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Flame, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Flame

Flame Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Can anyone shed any light as to why after nearly 2 years I have lost all my ITV, Channel Four, Five etc etc etc tv stations.

I have a Panny 32" lxd52 (with built in freeview) and live in the Granada region (I think that falls under Winter Hills mast/set up)

I have tried resseting everything to the shipping conditions, but alas nothing? Just the standard BBC channels appear!

:lease:
  2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD Active Member

Ratings:
    +354
    The ITV/Ch4 multiplex and the Five multiplex are always the first to go in bad/extreme weather if your freeview area is a poor one.

You will have lost other stations besides the ones you mention. Also weaker channels. BBC channels on multiplex 1 have the strongest signals.

Check your aerial and co-ax connections.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html
  3. SamRadford

SamRadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
  4. Flame

Flame Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys.

Checked the Ariel on the roof.. nothing untoward there.....

So with that in mind, I connected a "separate freeview box" to a different TV and hey presto ...... Still no ITV, channel 4, 5 etc etc.....

Any thoughts guys??

The only other diagnostics that i can report is that over a 2 week period, the picture on those channels began to deteriorate. The bingo bango, nothing.

P.S. If it was a cable problem, then would'nt all the channels go!

Struggling av fan needs help.
  5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    Cetainly looks like an aerial or downlead issue; a few points to ponder...
    The aerial may have moved a few degrees but not enough for you to notice by looking at its orientation.
    Have any new buildings gone up near you that might block the signal (or any trees moved a little) ?
    Water or moisture may have recently entered into the coax or external connector(s).
    A local source of interference might be affecting you.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
  6. LV426

LV426 Administrator

Ratings:
    +3,058
    If it was a cable or aerial problem, then the weakest of the {multiplexes} would go first. So it is quite possible for you to lose just one set of programmes. Check your aerial installation.
  7. Flame

Flame Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys.

Tomorrow I will buy and fit an external ariel (from Argos). Anyone read any reviews as to which one is best or are they all a much of a muchness!

I'm praying that does the jiob, as I seriously don't want to try and instal/fit a new cable. Then again, were does anyone "buy" 60 - 70ft of cableling?

I will keep you posted.
  8. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    Maplin, Wilkinsons, B & Q, Screwfix, Satcure.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
  9. RohanM

RohanM Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I've got the same problem - although five is OK; only ITV and CH4 have deterioated badly. The thing is, I'm in W London (served by Crystal Palace)...

My Panasonic LCD (23LXD60) and DVD-R (ES-20) are connected to an external aerial which has nothing else connected to it. Both have the same problem.
    No new buildings, etc, in the line of sight of the aerial, either.

As per Flame, everything was hunky-dory for years, until the last 2 weeks or so, and now the signal strength is 'bad'... Checked connections, and it hasn't been that windy down here in the smoke!

I'll have to get someone to check the aerial alignment, I suppose, but am very curious that I'm not the only one - and about 200 miles away from Flame who has the same symptoms!
  10. SamRadford

SamRadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    Mail-order places like Satcure sell 50m reels.

Same answer. See my post #3 above. :)

Also double-posting is still double posting - even if you rephrase the question! :nono:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5358622&postcount=6
  11. starling

starling Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I was told by one of the TV sales guys in the Trafford Centre that work is being carried out on the Winter Hill mast. Not sure if this is having anything to do with the problems? I have also noticed a lot more picture break-up over the past couple of weeks on various channels.
  12. vader100

vader100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +439
    I had the same problem over the last couple of months(south west Stockland hill transmitter).Looked on the website that lists the work being carried out(sorry haven't got a link but it is referenced on other threads) and work was being carried out. Last couple of weeks no problems at all:smashin: I didn't make any changes to my installation so i assume the works were affecting the signal. Could be your problem too?