1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Small High Quality Radio/CD unit?

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by Mark Ward, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I need to get a reasonably compact radio/cd player for the kitchen. I've read the thread about kitchen solutions, but what I'm after is more of a mini-boombox solution.

I'd like a good quality, fairly powerful one that's not massive. Great sound is fairly important though. Budget, hopefully well under but £300MAX. The bose wave radio get mixed opinions and is a little over my intended budget.

Include SACD an/or digital radio and I may stretch to a little more:)

Note I definitely want a portable, single, self contained unit including the speakers. I don't want to run a second zone from my HT system.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Mark.
  2. engaged

engaged Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Someone else had a very, very similar question here a few days ago and I suggested, as I am about to again, the Denon DM-31 which can be found (excl. spkrs) for £180 jst about everywhere. Admittedly, speaker aren't self-contained but you'd then be able to choose speakers as small or as large as you prefer - or your kitchen allows.
  3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This Teac unit is meant to be fairly good can't remember the price but it's well under £300
    SLD90
    Individual looks?!?
    Colour choice?!?
    But it's meant to sound good.
  4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks to both of you, I did read the other thread as I mentioned in my first post, however the difference is that I want a portable solution. The device will need to sit on a welsh dresser so a Mini-Hifi solution wouldn't be ideal as these mini systems are actually quite deep and require speaker cables to come out of the back of them.

I'm thinking good, powerful yet compact boom-box type solution.

Anyone got any ideas for a 1 box solution incl. speakers?

Cheers,

Mark.
  5. common

common Member

Ratings:
    +8
  6. engaged

engaged Member

Ratings:
    +2
  7. Mark Ward

Mark Ward Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Common:-
    Looks nice :) howver I'd get shot if I spent that on a kitchen solution. Also, it's hard to gauge the dimensions, looks quite tall.

Won't rule it out though,

Thanks,

Engaged:-
    That looks absolutely ideal:) I had no idea they made them. Now to hunt for the best price.

Cheers,

Mark.
  8. engaged

engaged Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Doesn't look like many places sell the Creative CD740 - yet!
  9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Doesn't look like any places sell the Creative CD740 - yet!:(

It is against my religion (Orthodox Tightwad) to pay RRP and buy online.

I'll keep hunting the
    Teac Nostalgia is another possibilty, though the wife doesn't like the look of it.
  10. CJROSS

CJROSS Active Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Mark everything you are looking for is available in the Bose Wave CD/adio a fine sounding little unit (if a little pricy IMHO rrp £395) a friend has one and it sounds very nice, but it is roundly beaten by the Denon DM31 (which has separate speakers of course and with £100 speakers attached is £100 less) But for your needs I would recommend it ie and “all in one”. I think it sound fine TBH you are hindered by the need to have the speaker attached.

http://www.bose.co.uk/home_audio/wave_systems/radio_cd/

One other to look at is Sonys little CD/MD/Tuner system 333XT with Net USB functionality. £250 and specced beyond belief IMHO (just tape the speakers to the main unit)
    [​IMG]
  11. Bassbin

Bassbin Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Could try one of these Argos had them in the sale at £49.99 no longer on their site but the code is 512/6202 Not exactly hi-fi but looks the part. I've tracked one down at my local store and am planning to get it tomorrow.
  12. Mark Ward

Mark Ward Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm trying to win the wife over on the Teac Nostalgia, 20Wpc 3"Sub and onlty £99 at Empire right now. She REALLY doesn't like it.

I really didn't want to go the bose route as it's over my absolute maximum and I've heard mixed reports.

Looks like the Teac:)

Cheers,

Mark.
  13. ncpl

ncpl Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the wife a Tivoli trannie last year for the kitchen...and she absolutely loves it. Big WAF and it sounds far better than a little box should. Tuning is also better than any other analogue radio I have ever used. Price is about £99 for basic and I think there is one that is a CD combo and you can add anothre speaker for stereo if you need that above the sound of the dishwasher !!
  14. common

common Member

Ratings:
    +8