Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a Region A blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by Krank, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Bumbuliuz

Bumbuliuz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont mind paying the 100. I live in Iceland so I'm used to paying a bit more :)

The only thing I need to know is how i flash it after I change the filenames and I good to order the player.

Edit: Nevermind, read the manual that said you used the usb port.

I ordered the player and will hopefully have it mid week and then I can try out the firmware update.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. Bumbuliuz

Bumbuliuz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do you get that info panel below to show up?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
  4. Bumbuliuz

Bumbuliuz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just flashed my BDP-3000 and it worked like a charm. Now I have a cheap Region-A player :)
  5. Karlin

Karlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +803
    [​IMG]

Glad people are lapping up Region A :)

BTW, my local HMV (Livingston) still has plenty of those £99.99 packages as I was in there today. They have other Philips machines too but I didn't look at those.

The discs are in the box and it looks like Philips has made a special edition cardboard box just for HMV.
  6. Karlin

Karlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +803
    I went in there today after going into HMV. They do milk for just £1.

Quick visit though, I wouldn't want to actually live there I must say. I'm sure that must be illegal too under health and safety.
  7. Bumbuliuz

Bumbuliuz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm tempted to go a bit a bit mad on some Region-A ordering on Amazon today after changing my player to Region-A :)
  8. Karlin

Karlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +803
    There doesn't seem to be many Region A locked titles but once you start looking they soon start flowing through your letterbox :D

My recent locked A things were:

Licence to Kill
    Man with The Golden Gun, The (both Bonds £22.40 delivered Amazon.com)
    Criterions

-and lots more. Once you have an A player it doesn't really matter and then you can just import once you see a good price. And of course if it's A it's also Region 1 DVD so that covers you too.

Locked disc list: http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=a

I reckon I've got 50 or 60 USA As. Some of those are films I love and just have to see in 1080p (things like Big Trouble in Little China, Mad Max or Never Say Never Again). A few from Hong Kong and a few from Japan too.

Checkout some of the Criterion offers over @ http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...1441-barnes-noble-50-off-sale-criterions.html
  9. Krank

Krank Active Member

Ratings:
    +453
    Glad you got sorted Bumbuluiz. Do you get charged customs/import duty in Iceland?
  10. Bumbuliuz

Bumbuliuz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, It´s great to have found a cheap player to play my soon to be Region-A discs. Thanks for the help.

Do you mean when I import stuff to Iceland? Yeah, we have to pay on everything we get, we also pay duty on the cost of sending the product to the country. We have a annoying customs laws.
  11. Smoker25

Smoker25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can only find the BDP-2700 in my country. Will the firmware hack work with that player too?
  12. Krank

Krank Active Member

Ratings:
    +453
    I believe it's got to be either a 2500 or 3000
  13. laser

laser Member

Ratings:
    +33
    HMV in Middlesbrough still have the Philips BDP-2500 for £89.99.
  14. laser

laser Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Not sure if this is usual but when the BDP-3000 is set to Region 0 it won't play my Region 1 DVD's. The player has to be specifically set to Region 1 whereas my old Pioneer DVD player will play Region 1 DVD's when its set to Region 0. Strange! Just mentioned it in case anyone else comes across this and thinks the code is not working for the bdp3000.
  15. marlboro_man

marlboro_man Member

Ratings:
    +45
    That is strange indeed. When my BDP3000 is set to R0 it plays all my R1 DVDs (including RCE encoded DVDs).
  16. Bumbuliuz

Bumbuliuz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't have to change anything on mine, before or after I changed the firmware for it to play my region 1 Dvd's.
  17. moody41

moody41 Member

Ratings:
    +124
    First one I got from ebay the disc tray didn't open. Sent back and got sent a replacement. Arrived today, firmware installed. Thought it hadn't worked when I put my Thin Red Line disc in, came up with this disc can not play. Then proceeded to play it anyway. :D

Can now look forward to seen Thin Red Line and Secret in their eyes. Plus the ten criterions I've got coming in the post.
  18. Krank

Krank Active Member

Ratings:
    +453
    I think it told me the same thing when I did mine. It's played every region A disc since that message though ...which is nice :D
  19. XxChalkyxX

XxChalkyxX Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys.*

I'm having a problem with the firmware update..
    I have downloaded the firmware and made the edits to the two files, however my BDP2500 informs me that there is 'no valid upgrade data found, please insert the correct software..'
    I have tried this via USB on my iPod and my external hard-drive and have gotten the same results both times. Do the files have to be in the folder provided on the link or separated? Also how do I go about seeing the info bar like the one on the above picture?

Sorry I'm a complete noob when it comes to all this. Thanks for any help. :)
  20. marlboro_man

marlboro_man Member

Ratings:
    +45
    @XxChalkyxX
    what firmware did you download? BDP2500 region A firmware
    Press 8520 when in Home menu.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  21. XxChalkyxX

XxChalkyxX Member

Ratings:
    +1
    @marlboro_man I downloaded the firmware from the fourth post in this topic. But after re-reading the post it was the firmware for the BDP3000/55..
  22. marlboro_man

marlboro_man Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Download the file from my previous post, rename BDP250055-FUS-1015155.bin to BDP250012-FUS-1015155.bin.
    The BDP250055-FWF-1015155.bin file is a firmware for the optical drive (Loader). Press 8520 and check the "Loader" version. If the version of the Loader is BP0700 or BP0800 - delete the BDP250055-FWF-1015155.bin - it is not needed.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. XxChalkyxX

XxChalkyxX Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Brilliant! I'll try this tomorrow when I get back from work. Thanks a lot for your help.

UPDATE: Just tried the new firmware and I know have a Region A player! Thank you for all the help @marlboro_man
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  24. alobek

alobek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Inspired by this thread and the upcoming Criterion Region A release of De Palma's Blow Out, I have put in an order for a used Philips BDP3000 player.

As the player is over a year old, I plan to update the firmware via Ethernet before attempting to change the region code via the USB "hack" mentioned in this thread. I have a few newbie queries:

Is there a chance any recent firmware update I'd download might disable the ability to hack the Blu-ray region?

And does the USB hack remove any possible improvements of the firmware update (USB playback, etc.) i.e. downgrade the firmware, or does it only effect the players region code?

Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.
  25. owenfarmer

owenfarmer Active Member

Ratings:
    +256
    So if I buy a second hand 2500 or 3000 off the bay I can firmware hack and have a region 'A' player?
    Does it stay region 'A' or do you need to input code each time you watch!
    Thanks in advance and totally newb in this field, want to buy 'Against all odd's from Movietyme but region locked !
  26. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    You are downloading and installing region a firmware from the other side of the pond.

It is pointless to update with region b firmware first and afterwards will only be able to play region a discs
  27. owenfarmer

owenfarmer Active Member

Ratings:
    +256
    Just bought a Philips BDP3000 for £69.99 delivered.
    Will try the firmware hack on the weekend.
  28. owenfarmer

owenfarmer Active Member

Ratings:
    +256
    Could someone please tell me in simpleton terms exactly how to hack my Philips 3000 to play region 'A'
    I would really appreciate it !!!!

Owen
  29. Krank

Krank Active Member

Ratings:
    +453
    Hi mate, if I remember correctly, the file you download (post #4 by malboro man) should have the details on a read me file how to flash/update it. If you follow it, it works. I can sell you my region A's then :) (btw, did you get the new case I sent?)

Here's the link one step earlier than posted (philips brazil) http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=BDP3000/55&slg=en&scy=BR
  30. owenfarmer

owenfarmer Active Member

Ratings:
    +256
    Martin, no case yet but very kind thanks mate, I will try and follow the steps andvpost progress and yes I would love region 'A' and to be honest have allways collected US style slim cases.