Looking for a Laptop, help please.

Kurby

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a laptop and any help would be appreciated. I'll want to buy one within the next month. If possible, I would like one without an OS installed as I have a free windows 7 disc.

What is your budget? £550, might be able to stretch to £600

What size laptop do you want? 17.3"

Do you have resolution requirements? 1600x900 I think is the average resolution for a 17.3" screen, 1080p would be nice tho :D

Do you want a matte or glossy (reflective) screen? either

What will you be using the laptop for? Browsing, Word Processing, Watching movies. I would like to be able to play 1080p movies, I presume I will need a gpu for that?

How long does the battery need to last? 4-6 hours +

Does it need to be portable? No

Do you require Blu-Ray? No

Do you require HDMI output? No

Do you have a preferred brand? No

Are there brands you would prefer to avoid? No

Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop? I would prefer it to be new.

Cheers

It's very unlikely you'll find one without an OS installed...

I'd suggest something along the lines of these for your requirements:

ASUS K72F-TY201V

Samsung R730 NP-R730-JB05UK

Neither meet the battery time requirements but that's going to be tricky on a 17"

The only laptops with good battery life and 17" screens I've seen are the likes of the HP business laptops which are out of budget... although someone may prove me wrong. I think 2 to 2.5 hours is the average.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to Currys tomorrow to look at the screen sizes. 15.6" will probably be big enough, do you think I could find a decent laptop (15.6") for £500? I only really need it for web browsing, I just don't want it to be slow :D

I've found one that seems a bit better than the ones you posted.

Custom Build PC | Gaming PC | Desktop PC | Gaming Laptops PC - MESH Computers - Award Winning Since 1987 - Customise your Dynamo i3 - V

Would that be good enough to play 1080p movies?

That has a dedicated graphics card which will draw more power and as a result eat in to your battery life, plus it's a little more expensive than the others listed by DC. It will be perfectly fine for 1080p movies - though the screen resolution isn't enough to display in full 1080.
But if you were to out-put it, then yes it would be fine.

At least you have the option of a number of laptops, there's not a great deal between them unless you want to start looking at something like gaming or such.

That has a dedicated graphics card which will draw more power and as a result eat in to your battery life, plus it's a little more expensive than the others listed by DC. It will be perfectly fine for 1080p movies - though the screen resolution isn't enough to display in full 1080.
But if you were to out-put it, then yes it would be fine.

At least you have the option of a number of laptops, there's not a great deal between them unless you want to start looking at something like gaming or such.

Would on-board graphics be good enough to play 1080p movies? I know it wouldn't be 1080p but they still look awesome when they are resized :D

As for general web browsing, msn, word, excel etc, would an i3 be fine/fast for those?

Thanks for the help btw

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom