Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a 42"/46" TV for Gaming, Bluray, TV etc. Help definitely required!!

Discussion in 'Which TV Should I Buy?' started by JamesElectric, Feb 18, 2012.

1. JamesElectric

JamesElectric Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Been a while since I last posted anything significant on these forums, but having finished uni and landed a job I am in dire need of a new TV, my Samsung 32" series 4 just doesn't cut it anymore!!

Looking for a 42" maybe 46" depending, budget around £500 for a quicker purchase but would consider up to £800 and just have to grin and bear it for a little longer!

Would primarily be used with PS3 for gaming and bluray, but TV too as I will actually enjoy having an aerial rather than residing in my bedroom. ¬.¬ Would be nice to have it capable for football!

Not too fussed with 3D, would be nice to have it but not going to complain if I can get a better picture without 3D. Again, Smart TV stuff is something not really all that necessary either and to be perfectly honest I don't know enough about it for it to swing a deal.

LED, LCD or Plasma would all be considered, just wanting to get the best TV for a good price.

Will be moving to a new place perhaps next month so not entirely sure with stuff regarding glare, darkness etc.

I have had a scout around the forums and i've been looking at the GT30 which looks to be gorgeous and sounds like it's reviewing well, apart from green patches? which sounds like it's been addressed with firmware updates, but that might just be the S30? not sure.

Any tips or guidance would be massively appreciated, now I have an income I'm looking to get back into my AV hobby!

Cheers!
    James
  2. malcolmdixon

malcolmdixon Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Why not go for the Panasonic TX-P50G30B from Currys for £550. It won a recent 3 x 50" Plasma TV round-up, it's supposed to be one of the best 2D TVs around! Also bigger is better.

Plasma is better for gaming due to less input lag and better motion handling as I've read on here and elsewhere.

I'm no expert as I posted a recent thread asking for "expert" advice on which TV to go for, but only got 1 reply (thanks Russ), so don't hold your breath waiting for replies!

I ordered the aforementioned TV, which should be delivered in a week or so, can't wait.

Best of luck mate.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. JamesElectric

JamesElectric Member

Ratings:
    +6
    cheers for the reply matey, not going to complain at getting a bigger tv for less money!!! Gonna have a look and try and see what it can do, but if it turned up and you fancied giving some feedback on it I'd love to hear how you find it!

A lot has changed since I bought my sammy in 2008, and I just feel daunted, the best advice seems to be from the guys that have bought the TVs rather than some clueless teen in a shop!!

Cheers!
  4. JamesElectric

JamesElectric Member

Ratings:
    +6
    also, a quick question, is the only difference between the G30 and GT30 is simply lack of 3D? cause for the sake of an extra 8" at a lesser cost can't argue! although odd that on the curry's site the 42G30 is 649 and 50G30 is 549! good old economics.
  5. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,845
    GT has freesat tuner I think, can record to usb, better filter, faster phosphors? Probably other stuff - you can doi side by side compare on the panasonic site. Also different aesthetics? See if you can get a deal with extended warranty, only a year from currys
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. JamesElectric

JamesElectric Member

Ratings:
    +6
    yeh was just having a look on the panasonic website, doesn't seem like much of a difference on their at all, as i said 3d isn't getting me jumping out of my seat, but yeh, so far looking good for the G30, if anyone else could give any feedback on both the GT or the G30 that would be awesome!

All other recommendations would be appreciated!

James
  7. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,845
    Presume you've had a read of the reviews in the hardware review section on here :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. darwish2k8

darwish2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    you better watch out if you get them Panasonics, they have green blob problems ;)
  9. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,845
    And edgelit LED-LCDs have backlight bleed, gaming lag and motion blur ;)
  10. JamesElectric

JamesElectric Member

Ratings:
    +6
    haha i did have a read about the green patch stuff, but heard it was fixed? and nine times out of ten you'd be ok??

and i did have a bit of a mooch on the review section, but only really the GT30 rather than G30!
  11. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,845
    Have a mooch of the G30 review too...oh and go get a proper demo somewhere other than Currys :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. malcolmdixon

malcolmdixon Member

Ratings:
    +5
    @JamesElectric
    I will post feedback on this and my own thread once I get the TV and have watched a few movies. Sorry, but I don't do any gaming at present and if I did it would be CSS :D.

@vicster
    The G30 can record to USB HDD ;), I've got the manual downloaded! You're right with the other comments AFAIK :thumbsup:.

@darwish2k8
    Yeah, this scares the **** out of me :(. But it can't be every unit shipped from Panasonic? Surely not!

@vicster
    Nice comment back :clap:. Just check which technology wins the awards for large screen TVs Televisions 2011 winner - What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Awards | whathifi.com.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,845
    I was posting from Starbucks on my not very smart phone regarding the spec, so couldn't check - ta for clarifying on the recording, I wasn't sure :)

The Panasonic plasmas had been out a while before anyone commented on the 'green blobs' now everyone has them, probably because they are now all looking for them in a completely darkened room having read the posts :D...I may be wrong but I don't think the AV forum reviews mentioned them when released?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. JamesElectric

JamesElectric Member

Ratings:
    +6
    After reading through most of the reviews with the GT,S,VT,G etc. no real mention of green blob issues. But hmm, it's looking for for the G30.

As far as it goes in terms of holding onto the tv for a while, would the GT really be worth the upgrade? I mean aside from 3D it doesn't do much else that the G30 can do. plus the get a 50 in my eyes is a better upgrade!

EDIT: just doing some reading, still looks the green patch is still a current problem? anyone got any ideas of the frequency of this issue, if it's been patched(ha.) with firmware? i'm reading about as we speak, but it does look like a bit of an issue!

cheers for all the help so far!
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  15. darwish2k8

darwish2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Read all about it here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1482291-green-tinge-fault-panasonic-vt30-gt30-st30.html

Theres 4 parts to it already :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. malcolmdixon

malcolmdixon Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Like I said before, probably a few people are having issues and NOT every set is affected, note that G30 is not in the title of the thread. I doubt that means it's completely free from the issue though!

Panasonic's sales for 2011 are 3.28 million flat TVs, so NOT every set will be affected.
    http://www.hdwars.com/news/2011/05/samsung-tops-world-tv-sales-again-for-first-quarter-of-2011/

However, this is worrying:
    Panasonic Will Restructure in Wake of $9.2 Billion Quarterly Loss
    Sales Figures | High-Def Digest

If the TV brand is getting a good beating at present and with the financial situation, who knows what might happen :eek:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  17. JamesElectric

JamesElectric Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Interesting couple of reads there, had a look at the green blob thread a bit last night, but as you say, not too much mention in the way of the G30. It seems like a bit of a punt but it does worry me at curry's knockdown price. but at the moment it seems like my best and most favoured option, but not really got anything else up for consideration right now.

How are the LG plasmas? much to write home about??

Cheers
  18. malcolmdixon

malcolmdixon Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I was thinking of the LG 50pv350t, which Currys sell for £549 too. However you can get it for much less, check out LG 50PV350T-www.buydigital.tv

I can't find any expert reviews though, but check out LG 50PV350T Reviews - Compare Prices and Deals - Reevoo

This is NOT a smart TV, has 2 HDMI ports only, so the spec is not as good as the Panasonic TX-P50G30B. Read the owner's thread it's only a few pages and most seem very happy http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1466048-lg-50pv350t-owners-thread.html

HTH.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,845
    Not as much positive feedback on this year's LG plasmas generally and the lack of pro reviews seems telling - Samsung seem the safest bet (if you are ok with slightly less good blacks) - not much good if you want <50" full HD though
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. JamesElectric

JamesElectric Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Fair enough, think ill have a look into the pv350t.

Slightly less good blacks is something I think I can live with! What would be good in terms of something around a 42” – 46” it doesn’t need to be plasma really, a decent LCD would suffice, I mean I don’t notice input lag when I play games on my current LE32B450, it’s simply old and outdated and looks very washed out. Reds on the tv were shocking, but I just learnt to deal with it!

I want to have a proper look but being at work does have it’s problems!