1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London 2012 tickets

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Citizen J, Mar 15, 2011.

1. shock33

shock33 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Postage is £6 I believe
  2. pl34

pl34 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry, guess that wasn't very clear! I checked on the website and there is a £6 charge - £440 is £250 (beach volleyball) + £190 (football or gymnastics). That's all a guess though based on what is pending on my credit card - I applied for quite a lot;

Sport: Athletics
    Total maximum cost: £500.00

Sport: Beach Volleyball
    Total maximum cost: £250.00

Sport: Football
    Total maximum cost: £190.00

Sport: Tennis

Sport: Closing Ceremony
    Total maximum cost: £600.00

Sport: Opening Ceremony
    Total maximum cost: £600.00

Sport: Gymnastics - Artistic
    Total maximum cost: £190.00

Sport: Tennis
    Total maximum cost: £460.00

Sport: Athletics
    Total maximum cost: £380.00

Sport: Boxing

Maximum ticket total: £4,170.00
  3. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,154
    Ah, thanks, i get it now... :thumbsup:
  4. joust

joust Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Checked my CC this morning (again...)....seems there is a pending transaction. Looks like I only got one set of tickets (I applied for 7 lots) for the mens hockey prelims......

Joust
  5. hdsport

hdsport Member

Ratings:
    +216
    My payment's gone looks like I've got 2 sets of tickets out of 10...my best guess is it's ground passes for the tennis and some for the football semi final. These were my 'bankers' most of the rest were long shots. Better than nothing (plus I'm going to watch the cycling road races). Might go for some in the next round/resales as well if anything takes my fancy.
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  6. sniffer66

sniffer66 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,808
    Had an email to phone up with my new Visa card number this morning so gave my new details. He couldnt tell me if anything was pending though
  7. DJT75

DJT75 Active Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Got £166 on my Visa card.
    I think all the athletics tickets I went for were £50 each (4 tickets) so it's not them, it's not cycling, it's not opening ceremony, so I think the only thing left is the Football Final at Wembley (can't remember if they were £40 a ticket or not??:confused:).
  8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,273
    Of the possible £3,991, I have £112 debited to my card.

Take away the £6 delivery means £106 of tickets. Doesn't look like I have got any decent events :(
    I'm aware how many people applied and how few tickets were available but I did take the risk of paying up to £1000 for the opening ceremony tickets which I haven't got, so a hell of a lot of people must have also took that risk!

Boo!
  9. DJT75

DJT75 Active Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Just found my application confirmation email. £166 can only possibly be 4 football final tickets + delivery charge.

Would rather one of the big athletic finals but still happy with being successful on 1 out of 7 applications.

I'll still go to "an" athletics session I'm sure.
  10. Citizen J

Citizen J Member

Ratings:
    +665
    Ouch. I am assuming they take all the money at once? So out of nearly £4000 worth of tickets you only got £112?!?!
  11. Greg Hook

Ratings:
    +3,273
    Yes, you can imagine how happy about that I am!

I can't actually work out what tickets I have got. According to the order I placed, no tickets come to £106. The beach volleyball comes to £112 exactly, but that doesn't work out due to the £6 charge.
    :(
  12. dazza74

dazza74 Member

Ratings:
    +1,444
    Suggests to me they've took the decision to allocate the event tickets to as many people as possible then who applied. To be honest, I'm kind of glad that you've tried to buy £3k's worth of tickets and you only ended up with £112's worth.
  13. Greg Hook

Ratings:
    +3,273
    Well isn't that nice of you. :rolleyes:

Bear in mind 2K was for just two tickets, before you get on your high horse about ordering loads of tickets. My total tickets were a lot less than others on this thread.
  14. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,343
    That does not bode well for me. I have nothing at all pending out of 3.5k total.
  15. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,343
    A colleague at work was charged £400 out of £1200 - 33% success rate. That is the highest I have heard of so far.
  16. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,412
    You realise people have gone for the scatter-gun approach due to the ballot system being utilised without any realistic belief that they would end up being charged for the theoretical maximum. What with the probability of that happening being so low given the odds are you versus 7 million other people.
    One would not expect their name to be called for every draw but by hedging themselves across more tickets, one increases their odds of being successful at least once

Did not realise it was so difficult a concept to grasp :rolleyes: Or maybe you are out for a morning argument to suggest people actually greedily put their name against £5k of tickets hoping to get them all :rolleyes:
  17. Citizen J

Citizen J Member

Ratings:
    +665
    You obviously do not understand he application process or you are just trolling. I would hope its the former.
  18. brumhee

brumhee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,113
    I would hope that they have made an effort to give every one who applied at least 1 set of tickets each - obviously this is not always possible but you would hope thats what they tried to do.

No pending transactions for me yet but I do have until midnight :rolleyes:

If I don't get any of these I will see what goes on general sale and see if I fancy any of them. If not may wander down for a day to watch it on big screens in a park somewhere (big screens have been confirmed or was I dreaming :confused:)
  19. Citizen J

Citizen J Member

Ratings:
    +665
    Well I have just checked my account and there is £270 pending transaction, I don't think I have any other direct debits due in the next few days. I applied for just over £1000 worth of tickets which would give me a 27% strike rate. If this is the case I can't really complain.
  20. dazza74

dazza74 Member

Ratings:
    +1,444
    I wouldn't have the money to put £5k on a credit card so I'd try to buy what I could afford to the events I really wanted to see. All well and good this scattergun approach but to me all your left with is a bunch of events basically massively oversubsribed.

All I'm saying Steven is, if somebody applied to buy 10 tickets to a football match I'd prefer they only got 2 and 4 other people got 2 tickets each.
  21. taffster5

taffster5 Member

Ratings:
    +113
    I've got a charge of £186 on my card from Friday. Looks like I've got some of the football tickets I applied for, cant remember which games I applied for now though. Happy with that!
  22. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,412
    That makes more sense but I think it has to be seen in the context of the whole. Maybe a ballot is fairer than a first come, first served but the extended delay and blind purchasing (money going out without knowing what for) is ridiculous. So we go from Beijing where the authorities bussed in fake cheerleaders to London with oversubscribed interest. C'est la vie indeed
  23. DJT75

DJT75 Active Member

Ratings:
    +631
    I don't have a problem with the system at all, or that fact they're taking the money this early.

If you book to attend a concert, a big sell out stadium concert you're pretty much guaranteed to have to depart with your dosh 10-12 months in advance. But no-one ever moans about that.
    This is the Olympics, the logistics are enormous, so it's 15 months. If they told everyone which events had been awarded today, how many credit cards would've been cancelled today by people changing their minds/bottling it?

I have no problem waiting a month (although I know exactly what I have today anyway), if people were sensible enough to only scatter-gun for events they can afford to pay for then there's no issue. You're paying for something you were prepared to buy, so no-one is paying for something they have no knowledge of, and it's not as if you have a choice whether you're are buying them or not now, you've already committed to it.

I'm not a fan of some of the pricing, most of the pricing in fact, but I don't see anything wrong with the application process.
  24. hdsport

hdsport Member

Ratings:
    +216
    I agree mainly but it would of been nice that once payment had been succesfully taken they then emailed you what tickets you'd been allocated rather than this waiting period. I like most people can guess what my allocation is but there are a couple of other possibilties if I've been 'lucky'. Maybe I'm just too impatient.:D

As for people bidding for loads of tickets assuming they'll only get a fraction of them I've no problem with that it's up to them the process was clear and you took your chances. I had a set budget and being cautious only bid up to that value. The remainder of that budget I've now got for the second stage/resales if there are events I want there. Alternatively I'm thinking about spending it on a few other events next year instead (Le Mans being one!).
  25. brumhee

brumhee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,113
    I think the delay is needed to allow the process to work.

System 1 - collects requests from applicants

System 2 - sorts and assigns applicants tickets

System 3 - receives list of applicants and assign tickets and collects money. Tells system 2 which have/have not been succesful

System 4 - receives list of successful payments and applicants from System 2 and emails them to confirm sucess and their ticket allocation.

You need a delay between System 3 and 4 to allow for retrys after failure and for failure to be recorded. :thumbsup:

It could be slicker in that once the payment has been successful it mails you but I should imagine its cheaper to run the systems this way (possibly with a manual extract):smashin:
  26. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,343
    My bank still shows nothing processed. Very annoying.
  27. humanfish

humanfish Active Member

Ratings:
    +427
    After applying for £1800 worth of tickets, i've been charged for £226 (£210 -tickets/£10 - programme/£6 -booking fee). Looking at what i went for, i think i have got one of the heats for beach volley ball :D and a day at the tennis on centre court.

In both cases i applied for only 2 tickets. I think alot of people missed out on tickets after going for 4 (rightly in most cases because of families) but this has mean't that if they don't get 4 they don't get any. I generally went for two tickets in each event, except for the opening ceremony and athletics.
  28. DJT75

DJT75 Active Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Yeah I was thinking that this morning, but I imagine the system picks applicates before it looks for the number of seats required - until such time it only has a handful of seats available. So the likeyhood is it only starts looking for certain criteria at the very end of each allocated price band, so it's only then you have a lesser chance if going for say 4 tickets. I could be wrong though
  29. sniffer66

sniffer66 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,808
    Well, I applied for £330 pounds worth and just seen £36 come off my Visa. I'm assuming thats £30 for something and a £6 fee

Cant remember what exactly what I went for price wise but have a feeling it might be footy for me at £20 and £10 for my lad.
  30. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,412
    But when the concert people/agent take your dosh you know precisely what product you are getting and can even scrutinise the seats via the online seating plan. For London 2012 it is a sweepstake in itself as to whether your guesses for what money has been take for is correct