Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logitech Harmony 900 IR Transmitters (Mini Blasters) & other

Discussion in 'Remote Controls' started by akif, Nov 3, 2009.

1. akif

akif Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello there,

I am about to purchase a Harmony 900 Remote from the USA as i have a friend who has traveled there and is there at the moment. Could someone please assist me on the following:

On the Harmony 900 Spec page Logitech > Remotes > Harmony Remotes > Harmony® 900 it mentions that the Harmony 900 comes with 4 IR transmitters (Mini Blasters) whereas on the US store websites such as Best Buy, Frys, Circuit City etc it mentions 2 IR Transmitters (Mini Blasters) I also had a look at CNET's review Logitech Harmony 900 Remote Control reviews - CNET Reviews and here too it mentions 2 IR Transmitters and not 4. Please could you advise me if there has been a update to this remote and if apart from the blasters has the issue with regards to poor RF range also been improved. I am concerned that it is quite expensive for a remote but i am prepared to pay for it, but i don't want to then learn that i bought a remote that has been upgraded as far as the hardware (and firmware) goes.

Secondly does anyone know if the AC Power Adaptors (in the USA) supplied for the remote recharging stand and the RF receiver are multi voltage? i.e. will they work on both 110 AC an 240AC? As where i am, we have 240 volts AC.

I was thinking of asking him to buy it from Best Buy or Frys....and i want to be sure i am getting the latest version if indeed there has been any updates.

Thank you.
  2. smjohns

smjohns Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi,

I am not sure about the US adapters but the EU ones are multi-voltage and come with both a UK and EU plug attachment. I would have thought that to save cost, the US one will be similar / identical but with a different plug attachment.

In respect of the IR senders, you only got 4 with the 895. The 900 comes with the blaster and two additional IR repeaters. They work differently to the 895 in that all IR transmitters send all IR commands received so you do not attach them to the various bits of kit. The blaster itself also has a wide range IR sending capability so you may not need any of the additional repeaters.

Not sure about the RF range but mine seems fine and not had any connection issues.
  3. akif

akif Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanx but just strange that on the spec page for the remote here have a look: Logitech > Remotes > Harmony Remotes > Harmony® 900 it mentions 4 IR Transmitters. Do you think this is a mistake on the Logitech website? Or do you think they may have upgraded the hardware package and added a further 2 IR transmitters? I can't understand why they are mentioning 4 IR transmitters!

As for range could you tell me what range you are getting on RF and how far from the unit the IR direct from the remote works?

I hope the US package has the multivoltage AC adaptors as you mentioned! I am sure i can find convertor plugs from the US pins to UK pins! (crossing my finger)

Ta
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. smjohns

smjohns Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Yeah the specs are wrong (you don't get a cleaning cloth either !!).

You definitely only get two transmitters, which gives you a total of three when you take into account the blaster itself. It is impossible to add any more as there is only two ports (+ power) on the blaster. The only way to extend this is to buy another blaster and not sure if these are available yet (the ones on the Logitech website are for different remotes).

I think the reason they have moved from 4 to 2 is that the original RF receiver had no built in IR and the transmitters were designed to be stuck to the hi-fi kit over the individual IR receivers. They have moved away from this, which I think is better.

I have had a quick play with mine and it will control kit from the next room (which is separated by brick walls) but struggles when I move two or more rooms away. I think if you go on the basis that you will get a similar range to bluetooth then you won't go far wrong. You certainly won't get the range of wi-fi, wireless video senders or the like.
  5. smjohns

smjohns Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry for mis-understanding but if you need UK pins, why not buy the remote in the UK?
  6. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    The reference on their web site to 4 IR transmitters is definitely an error.
    Additional extenders for the 900 are not yet on sale, and there is no date for their release.
    The 900 is a new product and no significant updates have been made to it.
    Its charging base runs on anything from 100 to 240v on either 50 or 60Hz power lines.
  7. akif

akif Member

Ratings:
    +1
    smjohns - Thanx for confirming, when i meant 4 IR transmitters i thought that the RF Reciver (with built in IR) had also been upgraded (due to RF range problems experienced by users as posted in numerous forums including logitech's) to plug in 4 IR transmitters as against 2 originaly!
    Where i live we have UK standard plugs, also there is a price saving by purchasing in the USA my friend happens to be travelling there now and also...no one travelling to the UK at the moment...so USA is best option.

logiciel - surprised that logitech haven't corrected such a glaring error thanx for confirming it

Also on another note i presume you mean 50 or 60 Hz and not mHz? Also does Logitech sell seperate UK plug attachments for these power adaptors? as i am sure the American package may not come with UK plug attachments.

Thanx
  8. Square

Square Member

Ratings:
    +86
    You may add to the main blaster more mini-blasters or direct cables to IR-in on components by purchasing a mono splitter and adapter. I currently have 4 leads coming out of one main blaster-- two mini blasters and two cables direct in to my IR ports on my AV receiver and disc jukebox-- for a total of five control points (including the main blaster which controls my TV).
    I purchased the splitter, adapter, and cable at a local electronics store for about $6.00 US.
    We were told in the 900 beta that main and mini-blasters, as well as direct cables would eventually be sold by Logitech. As Logiciel states, still no date for the release of those components.
    ,R

9. smjohns

smjohns Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Yes he did mean Hz although it is very difficult to see without a magnifying glass lol. I guess it all depends what adapter is supplied with the US model. The Europe kit is sold in all European countries, which is why you get both the UK and EU plug attachment. The US may come with a different adapter that cannot be changed. Remember you will need 2 or more of theses as there is one for the charging station, one for the blaster and more if you have the PS3 adapter and the like. Logitech "may" sell you one but it may be cheaper to buy a multi-adapter that will output the same power. You will have to contact Logitech on that though.
  10. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    Yes, mixing my power lines with my radio frequences - very dangerous - thanks guys.

The power adapters work in a standard universal power plug - the sort of thing you get in the UK for a US visitor to use his shaver.
  11. akif

akif Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Chaps thank you so much for all the advice! :thumbsup: Have given the green light to my friend to buy them can't wait to get my hands on it.....

Any tips....tricks with regards to the programming/setup etc would be most appreciated!

Cheers
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  12. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    The fixed Tips thread is always a useful resource of ideas.
  13. TelecomAndy

TelecomAndy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BUMP!

:thumbsup: Hiya Square, please can you advise where I can get these cable extenders - a link would be great. My TV viewing room is too far away from the RF input/kit to work, so I plan to site the Harmony 900 RF input module as close as possible and hopefully extend the mini blasters about 40 to 50 feet (not sure the voltage is powerful enough for this distance). How far do yours run?

Many thanks Andy.
  14. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    You just need ro splice some two-core cable into the leads, something like bell-wire.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. TelecomAndy

TelecomAndy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I overthought this one! Bought some mini coax wire and 2.5mm plugs from Maplins and extended the mini blasters by 30m. Works a treat.

Andy
  16. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    Useful to know they work as far as that.