Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logik DAB Radio with USB at Currys

Discussion in 'DAB Digital Radio & FM Radio' started by Barrovian, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Barrovian

Barrovian Member

Ratings:
    +47
    My other half has seen this:
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...3&tm=undefined&sku=153874&category_oid=-30415

at Currys and fancies it for the kitchen. What attracted her is it's apparent ability to play mp3's via a USB slot at the front. I can't find any info or website for Logik on the web. Does anyone out there have one, and if so any opinions, or suggestions as to possible alternatives?

There is also a Logik wi-fi radio on the same site that has caught my eye. Anyone got one of these:

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...3&tm=undefined&sku=901880&category_oid=-30415

Thanks
  2. Barrovian

Barrovian Member

Ratings:
    +47
    How sad is this, replying to my own post, but if anyone is interested I took the plunge and bought the LogiK DAB with USB from Currys.
    First impressions - great :thumbsup:
    Nice well built, solid feel to it, up and running 5 minutes out of the box, tuned into about 25 stations and sound quality from the mono speaker is great. Plays mp3's (but not wma files) direct from the USB port at the front and also has an aux line in jack at the back to directly connect an mp3 player (such as her indoors' Samsung player).
    Overall, very impressed.

Now even more tempted by the Logik wi-fi radio. Someone talk me out of it and tell me I should spend £50 more on the Acoustic Energy wi-fi radio:D
  3. vinnielo

vinnielo Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey Active Member

Ratings:
    +251
  5. Barrovian

Barrovian Member

Ratings:
    +47
    I've had a look and to be honest, I've no idea what this is, or when you'd use it:blush:

All I want to do is listen to Isle of Wight radio up here in Cambridgeshire without lugging my laptop about the house:)
  6. FrankS

FrankS Member

Ratings:
    +45
    John

I think what he was trying to suggest was a Dell PDA with WiFi, then you could get internet radio anywhere in range of your internet router, would be good if you were using headphones but the internal speakers in them are not very good. More money but you do get option to surf the web as well and they are very compact.

As regards the Logik DAB alarm, how big is it and how bright is the display, I'm looking for a DAB alarm clock and this could be of interest.
  7. vinnielo

vinnielo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, and not just your own internet router.
    Let's just say I've spent lunch listening to internet radio by parking my car in a residential area! ;)
    As for the speakers, yeah, they're quite tacky, but you could always hook them up to bigger speakers, or find a phono lead to use with a hi-fi.
    I use mine in the car with a tape adaptor.
  8. Barrovian

Barrovian Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Dimensions are 220 (l) x 112.5 (w) x 135 (d)mm.
    The display is clear and easy to read. The manual says it has an auto dimming function, quote:

'The brightness of the display is automatically adjusted for the room light conditions. It will be reduced when the room lighting is off so as not to interfere with your sleep.'

To be honest though, as we use it in the kitchen, it's a bit difficult to tell just how effective the dimmer is, but I don't think it would be any brighter than a normal clock radio.
    I'm thrilled with it. It looks and feels sturdy and well made. The sound (to my non audiophile ears) is fabulous and I love the USB connection for mp3 playback and the line in to connect an mp3 player. I was hesitant at first, worried that Logik were another 'Currys own brand' but it's so good, I'm thinking of buying another for the bedroom. And I still want the wi-fi radio:smashin:
  9. tredman

tredman Active Member

Ratings:
    +247
    To resurrect a dead thread......

I've just bought one of these and it's great, but the support on the web is non existant.

John (if you're still around) I can't seem to get the usb port to play mp3s, do they only play from an mp3 player, I'm trying to use my usb stick with some mp3s on and I'm getting "No data"

Any help, as always, is much appreciated

Tom
  10. Barrovian

Barrovian Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Hi Tom, still here :hiya:

Make sure that you are using mp3's, not WMA files. I made that mistake to start with, but once I'd populated my USB stick with mp3's, they play directly from the stick and can access the individual tracks using the keys on the front. I think it's a great piece of kit. I use it in the kitchen and am just about to buy a second for the bedroom.
    You're right about lack of web support though. I tried to find a Logik website with no success at all.

John
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. tredman

tredman Active Member

Ratings:
    +247
    John, thanks for the quick reply.

I've put just mp3s on my stick in the root of directory of my stick, but still no luck.

I'm tempted to buy another stick and test that one just in case, if that one doesn't work then I'm kinda stuck, might have to take it back, i guess.

Any ideas?
  12. Barrovian

Barrovian Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Wish I could suggest something else:(
    Before I bought, I went into my local Currys with a USB stick and they let me try it out to see how it worked. Maybe you local branch will allow you to do the same if you explain your problem. If your stick works on the one in the shop, you'll know you have a duff Radio, and Curry's should change it for you. Just rememeber to do it within 28 days, or if the Radio is duff, you'll have to take repair rather than exchange.

Good luck,
    John.
  13. tredman

tredman Active Member

Ratings:
    +247
    Thanks for the advice John, think I'll try a different usb stick, if that don't work it'll be a trip to Currys.....
  14. triumph

triumph Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This radio is on free offer with the purchase of a logik 19" LCD tv at £249
    unfortunately mine emits an audible hum when on standby,which is very
    irritating when used as a bedside radio, anyone else noticed this or have
    I got a faulty one?
  15. Barrovian

Barrovian Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Just put my ear to mine (in the kitchen) and yes, it has a hum. No problem in the kitchen, but I can understand how it would annoy you if it were by the bed. Shame, as other than that, I think it's great.
    I'll have to reconsider buying one for the bedroom then:(

John
  16. KJ Palmer

KJ Palmer Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Yes, indeed, my Logik LOG3006UB DAB Radio also emits rather nasty mains hum. A shame as it's major blight on an otherwise fantastically-equipped radio, maybe that's why it's so cheap. It's fine in the living room though, and I bought a Pure Chronos CD for the bedroom instead...
  17. tredman

tredman Active Member

Ratings:
    +247
    Do not touch any of these with a barge pole!

I went into Currys yesterday to swap mine due to it not playing mp3s from the USB port, we tested almost everyone in the shop and none of them work (despite the asst assuring me a "red one" would work).

We then tested the cheaper logik dab radio (with a seperate speaker) and it worked straight away! However I didn't want this as it only has a wire aerial, not good enough for DAB IMHO.

In the end I paid an extra £20 for a pure bug.

From what the shop asst said the newer version of the logik 3000 only came in a couple of weeks ago, and I think that it must be that all of these don't work with USB - in which case they should take them of the shelves, or they may be a few complaints on boxing day!
  18. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Get v2.2 of The Bug's firmware installed ASAP and it'll prove a bargain for what it can do.
  19. tredman

tredman Active Member

Ratings:
    +247
    Should have said bug too! above, it came with 2.2 firmware, so far it seems great - no hum too
  20. Barrovian

Barrovian Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Tom,
    Shame about the Logik. As I said, mine works fine with mp3s from a USB stick. There must be a (newer) duff batch out there.
    Thanks for pointing out the mains hum though. I was gong to get one for the bedroom, but having heard the hum I doubt I could live with it next to my head at night.
    Are you pleased with 'The Bug'? Does it have a 'line in' ans can it play mp3s from USB like (my) Logik?

Cheers,
    John
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. tredman

tredman Active Member

Ratings:
    +247
    John,

The bug is a slightly different beast. It can play mp3s from an SD card, which is a bit of a faff, but a cheaper faff (£6 for 1 Gb).

It also has loads of extra features similar to a pvr: pause and rewind live radio, record shows automatically and an EPG. 1 feature I really like is that you can set the alarm volume, so if you're like me and fall asleep to a very quiet radio, it doesn't mean that you won't wake up - a small feature but a good 1.

I prefer the looks of the logik, but i refuse to pay for something which doesn't work
  22. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    I picked up a Logik 3006DBE yesterday as I needed a bedside radio alarm which could switch itself off. I was not expecting too much of a £49.99 set and this is my first venture into the world of DAB. It's a nice looking chunky set (black). The controls seem a bit quirky at first but actually they are quite approachable in a darkened bedroom. The handbook is quite a revalation. On the cover it says in large letters(but not on the box), "This product is designed for kitchen use only". Readers of the inside cover will be told that the radio should not be near moisture or liquids. Strange sort of kitchen needed!. We are then told that children swallow batteries. I wondered where they went. In any case the unit is mains only, but a handy tip for any parent who is wondering what to do when Junior is munching his way through a packet of Duracells. Finally we are warned not to wear headphones when riding a bike. Do the Chinese cycle round their kitchens ?.

On to more serious stuff. The set scans for available DAB stations in a few seconds. Mine found all the local ones without the need to extend the rod aerial. I live about 10 miles from the transmitter. Only 4 presets can be made, but in FM mode you can store a further 4. This covers all the stations I regularly use. Full info on the transmissions, including the bit rate, appears on the display screen with a few button pushes. The display does switch to two light levels and the night time one might still be a bit bright for some people. On standby you can hear a slight hum if you press your ear to the top of the box,where the speaker is. I would not say it is audible at a couple of feet or so. I bought a cheap FM set from Aldi earlier this year which hummed like the Nuns Chorus, so I know what 'annoying' is. This set is certainly not.
    Setting the alarm function requires a bit of thought. The set will select any preset channel you want. So you are not tuned in to the station that sent you to sleep.

The USB socket is a plus. A simple USB stick with MP3s recorded at 128kb play quite happily on mine. You can even set the alarm to start you off with an MP3 track.

The sound is very impressive for a small box. It is obviously mono, but the headphone socket is stereo and passable. Apart from the BBC most DAB stations seem to be mono anyway. How hi-tech is that ?

For the money I have found it to be an impressive unit. the only downside is that the FM tuning is Scan only with no info, although you can preset 4 stations. It has a sleep and snooze function which leaves me wondering why you want to sleep and snooze in the kitchen. I'll never understand the Chinese....
  23. dinamzz

dinamzz Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone, i just purchased the same DAB radio (one with the USB connection in the front). i used it to connect to my IPOD mini. i was able to play 2 songs when suddenly the radio turned itself off. having said so, my IPOD screen showed that the IPOD was still recharging (meaning that the USB connection was still present). anyway, i changed the fuse thinking that perhaps that blew but the radio still doesn't work. someone please help!!
  24. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    These radios only seem to be able to play a USB stick. Connecting any kind of 'player' to the USB socket on the front does not usually work. There is an audio (aux) socket on the back which can be connected to anything with a headphone socket (page UK8). I cannot believe that you have blown up your radio. Remove the iPod and press the DAB/FM button. If that fails to work I can only assume you have a duff radio. I have had mine for several months now with no problems. MP3s recorded on to a basic USB stick can be programmed to wake you up in the morning in preference to the radio.
  25. Lonny58

Lonny58 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Can any one tell me how to set the alarm on my Logik LOG3006DBE Red DAB Digital Radio.

I have lost the instruction mannual.

Thanks
  26. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Information on its way via your mailbox.
  27. linda

linda Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there I had one of these radios bought for Xmas I cannot get it to swith of the alarm and it came without instructions can you help Please
  28. meansizzler

meansizzler Active Member

Ratings:
    +232
    Hmm... you seem familiar, do I know you from somewhere?....:D
  29. robrecord

robrecord Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi -

just wondering if anyone who has this radio has been successful playing mp3s from a USB stick?

At first I thought it might be because I had the files stored in a folder, but even leaving them in the root folder doesn't help.

After about 5 seconds it says "USB NO DATA". The fast that it decides so fast that it can't find anything makes me think it's something fundamental, like it's looking for a folder or that the format is wrong.

Does anyone know if you have to name a particular folder to put the files in? Or should it be formatted in a certain way? I have tried several flash disks, the last one was formatted as FAT32. Does it need to be FAT16?

Hoping someone can help.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  30. Barrovian

Barrovian Member

Ratings:
    +47
    I had a similar problem, but after some frustration realised I was trying to play windows media audio files, not mp3 files:suicide:
    However, I'm sure you've ruled that out;) so in that case your player may be faulty.
    I just copy the folder onto a usb stick and they play quite happily.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful.