1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe CT1170 weird noise

Discussion in 'TVs' started by moob, Sep 21, 2006.

1. moob

moob Member

Ratings:
    +33
    My tv, around 7 years old now, has recently started making a strange hissing noise. There are no other obvious signs of a problem, in that the picture and audio are ok.

Was wondering if this problem is indicative of a problem with a specific part of the unit.

Any help appreciated.
  2. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    It could be the "Line Output Transformer" arcing, the insulation on its windings breaks down and the noise is the high voltage produced by it escaping trying to find a path to the chassis.
    When it finally self-destructs it could damage other components connected to it so if I was you I would switch it off and not use it again until you've had it looked at by an experienced engineer.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. moob

moob Member

Ratings:
    +33

Thanks for getting back so quickly!:thumbsup:

If this is a case of insulation being worn, could I theoretically open it up and take a look? If necessary, could I reinsulate it?

If I need an engineer, what you reckon the cost would be for call out and repair?
  4. Saggy

Saggy Member

Ratings:
    +65

I would STRONGLY not recomend it, the voltage that is produced from the Line Output Transformer is very high and you will know about it if it bites you.

Where are you located? Loewe do have a network of authorised repair agents/engineers. I would expect to pay around the £35 for an examination and estimate to repair.

regards

MArtin
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. moob

moob Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I'm near Glasgow Martin.

Was just a little concerned at paying a lot for a repair that may end up being unrealistic, given the age of the unit.

Can I get their authorised engineers from their website?
  6. Saggy

Saggy Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Not sure if you can from their web. but they are based in scotland (prestwick) their number is 01292 471 553

regards

Martin
  7. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Which part?
  8. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    No, the insulation is inside the transformer which is a sealed unit and must be replaced it is not a repairable item.
    No offence meant but from your last question it is obvious you would be lost once you took the back off so as the last poster says...do not attempt it

As a rough guide I would say you're looking at a final bill in the region of £90.00-£130.00 inc parts and labour...if it is the "lopt".
  9. moob

moob Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks to all for the replies.

Loewe have already emailed me a list of repairers - great service from them!

Kinda in two minds now whether or not go ahead with repair now I have a rough estimate of cost - I got the tv around 7 years ago, and only paid £270 for it - got lucky!

May now have to consider a new lcd...against my better judgement.

Thanks again!
  10. ismael-1986

ismael-1986 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    get it fixed mate, quality tv :smashin:
  11. moob

moob Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Renfrew
  12. moob

moob Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Just a follow up to this - got the unit repaired, eventually. Took a Loewe approved repairer over 6 weeks in total to diagnose and repair the tv. Total cost £170 - a bit miffed.

Was told they would estimate and get back to me in 2-3 days, it took nearly 3 weeks.

I'm going to write to the repairer and complain to Loewe about this approved repairer as their service has been a disgrace from start to finish.

They are called DSC Solutions, if anyone is considering a repair for their set in the Glasgow area.
  13. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    What did they do/replace on it?
  14. SATM

SATM Member

Ratings:
    +124
    I have a 7 year old Loewe Credo,and also suffered the failure of a line output transformer.
    It took about 4-5 weeks to diagnose/repair,but to be fair to the repairer the replacement transformer,because of the age of the set,had to be obtained from Germany.
    The total cost of £153 covered two visits by an engineer,and the fitting of the transformer,and a recommended modifying fitment.
    The TV is now like new!
  15. moob

moob Member

Ratings:
    +33
    The same part as SATM below, except I had to take mine to the repairer and collect...must have went to the wrong business.