Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lipsync problems

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by mediapc, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mediapc

mediapc Member

Ratings:
    +5
    hi, i've made a htpc for my 1080p/24 full hd tv by exactly cloning mick's pcspecifications. The problem is that any mkv file i play has a lip sync problem. My pc is connected via hdmi to the lcd tv. I'm using media player classic as zoom player crashes for some reason.

The files i have tried are 720p. These are not too bad and delay is 0.5 - 1.0 secs.
    The main issue is with the 1080p/24 files as the sync is out by at least 2 secs.

Please, please help me.

thanks
  2. MikeK

MikeK Active Member

Ratings:
    +320
    It may be the codecs you are using, or how you have MPC configured, or the mkv files themselves, and it may be your TV! A lot of the time it's trial and error and process of elimination to identify the root cause of these type of problems.

Whatever, you can adjust the audio delay in MPC.

View - Options - Audio Switcher - Audio Time Shift

Tick this and then enter the delay you want in millisecs (use a postive value to delay the audio, and a negative value to bring it forward)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. mediapc

mediapc Member

Ratings:
    +5
    thanks mike. The thing is i can safely eliminate the tv as some of the mkv files were working fine before. I'm thinking that i must have changed a setting in mpc. I have seen somewhere the mention of "registering and unregistering filters in order to make sure it playing via the correct codec. I want to start again and I want to know how to remove everything and do a clean start. Is there a link or a guide that shows you how to setup everything such as CoreAVC for mpc and zoomplayer?
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  4. MikeK

MikeK Active Member

Ratings:
    +320
    Plaback one of the problem files, and then right click on the window and select "Filters".
    Then post the list here.

It should read something like (from top to bottom)

Audio Renderer in use (usually Default DirectSound Device)
    Video Renderer in use (eg VMR9 renderless)
    Audio Switcher (used to switch between Audio tracks)
    Video Decoders (usually one listed here for a single video stream)
    Audio Decoders (often just one listed here, but can be several if the file has several audio streams)
    Splitter in use (this is used to actually open the media container and send each part to the relevant decoders - it's usually either the internal one or Haali)

First thing to try would be the splitter IMO!

A clean start unfortunately, usually involves a fresh OS install - either that or a long session with the registry editor and a DirectShow Filter Manager!
    If you do a fresh install, don't install any codec packs - they aren't needed.
    The odd extra DirectShow filter you may need can usually be downloaded individually (eg CoreAVC).

Media Player Classic Home Cinema Edition needs no external filters at all to playback most mkv files containing H264/VC1 video with normal audio streams.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Seeco

Seeco Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Just to make sure, are you certain that you are outputting in the correct refresh rate for each type of video material, e.g. 24Hz for 24p material, 50Hz for PAL material etc? I used to have a lot of problems with lip sync, which I think were due to me not keeping track of what the fps was for every individual video file. If you're uncertain you can use a program like MediaInfo to find out.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. mediapc

mediapc Member

Ratings:
    +5
    ok thanks for your input guys. The major problem is solved. Just to help others, I simply removed ffdshow which was the filter being used when i right-clicked in the mpc window. Now when i right click, it says CoreAVC Video Decoder.

Now i have two new problems

1. Playing the 1080p movies in zoomplayer work absolutely perfectly, but they all play in 720p..even the ones that are 1080p. Is there a way to tell zoom player to switch to the correct resolution automatically?

2. MPC on the other hand automatically switches the resolution to 1080p/24, but it plays movie as though the refresh rate is wrong, so the frames are slightly dragging. Why is this and what can i do to correct it?
  7. mediapc

mediapc Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone?? please???
  8. mediapc

mediapc Member

Ratings:
    +5
    hi guys. I've managed to fix the problem for zoomplayer. I went into OPTIONS -> INTERFACE -> DISPLAY and changed the resolution to 1920 x 1080, refresh rate 24hz. To be honest, I can't tell the difference anymore between playing a movie at 1080p or 720p..they both look the same!