1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light switch interrupts tv signal ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Drex, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Drex

Drex Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I have a strange problem that when i turn on one of my light switch's in my lounge,the tv briefly loses the picture signal and then comes back on.

I have two identical lights in my lounge,and one does this and the other doesn't.

They are both Flourescent tubes,if that makes any difference.

My sky box runs into my amp,which is in standby mode>hdmi passthrough and then out to the tv.

Any ideas guys ?
  2. redaprilia

redaprilia Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Week TV signal or poorly screened cables feeding your set up , you could suppress your lights or fit a multi way suppressed mains socket . Florescent tubes in the lounge must make TV viewing challenging !

I could have just said get some more modern lighting but its your home LOL
  3. Drex

Drex Member

Ratings:
    +23
    They are new lights,installed about 6 months ago :)

They are round florescent tubes with a cover,so they look like a victorian ceiling rose.

I never have these on when watching tv,I switch my 2 uplighters on instead.

So.......why would one casue my tv to lose the signal,but the other one doesn't ?
  4. AndyCob

AndyCob Active Member

Ratings:
    +254
    Maybe only one is faulty or badly wired?

Bit of a long shot but you could try changing the starter. The typically removable little cylindrical object with a couple of metal pins on the bottom.

These contain some electrical bits (mostly a capacitor I think) used to generate the initial arc of electricity to get the flourescent going. These can as they fire generate RF interference, if the starter is going off or maybe is just noisy replacing it might fix things.
  5. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,016
    I had similar problems with a bathroom pull cable switch and halogen spots lights also the clothes drier did the same when switching directions when on, sometimes a moped or car driving by would cause a problem, after swapping a few cables around I ended up getting the rubbish brown low loss coax aerial cable that had been installed for a while swapped for some CT 100 coax cable and I haven't had a problem since. http://www.megalithia.com/elect/cable/index.html

Curly
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  6. Drex

Drex Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Maybe,like you say,it might be dodgy wiring.......will have a look,but if not sure,I will get an electrician to have a look.

Good point about the starter,I will swap this round with the other one,and see what happens.

I don't have any problems with the one which is nearest the tv,only the one furthest from the tv.

Surely if it was an RF thing,they would be both doing it ?