1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg7400

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by Ipmack, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Ipmack

Ipmack Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought this from Richer sounds (purely so I can take it back if not completely happy with it - its £20 cheaper at Comet and Currys!) and will test drive it over the weekend.

First impressions are pretty good.

A nice slim machine (although very deep) seemingly well built. My only concern for its longevity is based on the very thin DVD tray (and with kids around this might get broken easily).
    Setup was simple, pretty much auto installed when prompted to with the menus being nice and clear.
    Startup time is pretty quick - much better than a panasonic DRM 85 I had last year I think. Pretty comprehensive set of inputs / outputs with co-ax, optical + RCA audio and component in addition to 2 scarts.

Seems to like all the media I can thow at it. And its performance with MPEG4 material is exemplary - even playing stuff that my previous philips DVP630 would baulk at.
    No problems playing JPEGs and MP3s yet, even has the ability to copy these from a disc onto the HDD which can then be used as a jukebox type thing.
    Good sound quality although presently being fed via digital to my Denon amp and KEF speakers.
    Image quality seems good playing DVD as source. Haven't recorded anything significant yet - just the odd few minutes of TV and that seems acceptable even on the lower settings.

Concerns:
    A little noisy - just the fan hum which is noticable from across the room. Might improve if I change the surface its placed upon - the shelf might be acting like a sounding board at present.
    Image quality. Looks great - better than my previous players. However, I only have a 21" CRT at present (the plasma was nicked a few weeks ago)

Anyone have any similar experiences with this recorder? How much noise do recorders tend to make (again i think it is quieter than the panasonic I tried for a few days).
  2. ase001

ase001 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Slightly off thread with this, but how have the insurance company been about the theft of your plasma.

I'm about to take delivery of £2000 worth Av equipment and I wonder if you have to inform them? Did you have to register it with them as a single item exceeding £1000 or did you have to produce evidence that you owned it or are they just paying?
  3. Ipmack

Ipmack Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Our insurance company so far have been good. Although we're still getting the quotes in for replacement items and have yet to file the completed form! It remains to be seen whether they pay up or not.
    As far as informing them of the equipment, our policy only seems to want to know about items greater than 5G. To be honest given the recent events I would still have a chat with them and see what they want you to do. Who knows, it may avoid future arguments and discussions with them (remains to be seen)
  4. ase001

ase001 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers for that :smashin:

The Lg7400, do you know if it can be controlled by a Freeview box using EPG?