Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG TV Antenna Not Programmed

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by dsohanpal, Oct 15, 2012.

1. dsohanpal

dsohanpal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Guys,

I have 42LE5500 LG LED TV, bought in India. Everything is working okay on this TV. Last week I moved to UK and tried to plug a normal Antenna (which works okay on another LG DTV in same property in UK) it gives me message saying "Not Programmed".

This firmware is i guess 03.03.34 (Not Sure, but I got the latest) from LG UK website and managed to install it.

I have checked that Antenna is properly plugged and it works on another TV. The surprising bit is that when i plug Antenna it does not enable or detect Antenna in the input type unlike it does for USB or HDMI.

I called LG UK and answer was simple cannot support Indian TV and he said probably it does not have free view inbuilt. I am happy to accept this logic but why is still not recogonising the antenna once plugged. Getting Channels is the second part i guess.

Help... Will getting into service menu help. If so, how do it get into service menu.

I have tried {OK} and {MENU} remote control techniques available on forum. But nothing worked.

Thanks in advance.

D
  2. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    If there is no recognisable digital signal why do you expect the tv to work? If the tv has an auto scanning process then it will find nothing without a freeview tuner and in the absence of analogue signals in the uk. That is probably why you are getting the error message 'not programmed'.You may have more luck connecting a freeview set top box to the aerial and connecting it by hdmi lead to the tv. I am wondering what you are hoping to achieve by going into the service menu.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Hi.
    Did it work before swapping firmware? May be worth reverting the firmware; believe you press menu, highlight Options and press 9 7 times.
    If the Indian model has a different tuner than anything that's turned up in the UK, you can't just install UK firmware and hope it'll work.
    And if it's anything other than a DVB-T tuner, such as ATSC, you're out of luck regardless of what you try. External box is then the way to go.
    --
    Regards, Iain.
  4. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Hi.
    If P174 of the manual is to be believed, it's analogue only.
    Seems definitely like it'll be external box option.
    --
    Regards, Iain.
  5. dsohanpal

dsohanpal Member

Ratings:
    +0

Hi Iaint,

Well you made a valid point, how can a Indian TV (if Hardware is different) pick UK firmware. This to me suggests that some options from with in TV is making Cable socket disabled.

Any Ideas on how to get to service menu....?

Thanks all for replying.
    Regards
    D
  6. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    You have said nothing to indicate that the aerial socket is 'disabled'. There are no reasons why a tv would need to do this. Have you tried feeding the rf (aerial) socket from a games machine with rf out?
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  7. dsohanpal

dsohanpal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,

Thanks, I have already performed this action as well. Took a old Free view set top box with RF IN/OUT and Scart Socket. Plugged in RF OUT of Box with Antenna socket of TV. Same "Not Programmed" and Antenna option was still grayed out/ Disabled.

My TV does not have scart so can't test free view box.

Regards
    D
  8. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    That probably wasn't conclusive. Most Freeview boxes only send the digital signals to the SCART or HDMI socket. The RF out is just a 'pass through' and would be no different to the signal put into the box. This enables people to run their their TV 'off the air' when using the tuners in the TV. Only a few models of set-top box modulate the RF output with Freeview programming. This would appear as a special tuned in analogue 'channel' that would respond to the Freeview box reception.

Your Tv does appear to be Analogue only. We no longer have analogue transmissions in the UK. No amount of hardware downloads would change the tuner set-up. If you have installed something that was not appropiate to the TV then you could have messed things up. Did you download the upgrade in India?

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-42LE5500-led-lcd-tv
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  9. dsohanpal

dsohanpal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I did upgrade in UK from LG UK website.

Post upgrade I did not find any change in my TV, I have tested all the bits like Interface, sound, Color etc.. Everything is working but Antenna.

Can I ask If anyone knows how to get into service menu for this specific TV ?

Regards
    D
  10. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    Then you were still upgrading a TV that was never intended to work in the UK. I do not understand what you are hoping to receive from the Aerial (not antenna..that's a US expression!) in the UK should you change something from the service menu. Generally service menus predominantly deal with picture settings, not reception. Perhaps someone else can help you. A set-top box with hdmi output is going to be your best way forward. If the box is a HD one then you should be able to receive our 4 HD channels.
  11. winston2010

winston2010 Member

Ratings:
    +121
    No TVs do this, so not surprising at all.

Since this TV is analogue only you will need to use a set top box, either satellite, cable of Freeview. Since it does not have a scart you will need to use HDMI, component, or AV connections. Many set top boxes will only have scart outputs so you will need a scart to phono lead. Get one with an in/out switch and switch it to out. Like this

SCART to 3 Phono Plugs with In/Out Switch : SCART : Maplin Electronics

If you get a set top box with HDMI out get a cheap HDMI lead. Cheap = £1 to £2. Anything more is a rip off. £40 plus is taking the *iss.

Why all HDMI cables are the same | Crave - CNET

Don't mess around with the service menu.
  12. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Hi.
    Problem is that these TVs are modular; TVs even with the same model number will have differing tuner modules. Each tuner module will require a suitable driver to make the thing work. If the firmware doesn't have the right driver for the tuner it won't do anything.
    Should consider yourself lucky; other parts are sometimes changed amongst TVs that cause firmware from differing regions to fail to start.
    It's unlikely you can fix this from the service menu. Without details from LG about what the different options mean and what option is right for your TV, you're more likely to make it worse.
    In any case, LG service menus normally require their custom remote to get to.
    Without specific input from LG you really are best reverting to the native firmware and leave it be. Connect a UK spec or other DVB-T2 set top box via HDMI (Asda and Tesco normally sell HDMI cables for around a fiver. Online they can be had for a couple quid. Don't pay any more.). Or replace the TV with a UK spec model...
    --
    Regards, Iain.