1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG Smart TV Keeps Turning Off then On Again

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by LaLandy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. LaLandy

LaLandy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I recently got a LG Smart TV of some description and today out of nowhere it started to turn off and then turn back on again, it started after I turned the PS3 off (simplink crap screwing it up?) and I have tried to reset the TV but no matter what I do it turns off and on again and frankly I am about to throw it out the window. Never should of bought an LG and I never will again!

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks.
  2. LaLandy

LaLandy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have any idea? it is really doing my head in... I guess I have to take it back or phone LG but if there is a possibility of fixing it without that hassle I would rather do it :)
  3. Foggyzx9r

Foggyzx9r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi M8
    Sorry to say i have exactly the same problem. Purchased Nov last year and last week started rebooting. Did a factory reset to no avail. Took it back to Currys expecting some resistance as I was well over the 21 days but to my surprise they exchanged for new one. had this new one since Monday and tonight it started again.

Searching around we are not the only ones experiencing this issue.

I have done all the suggested ways of splving as found on forums. Different socket, different HDMI Socket new HQ HDMI cable, yes I know it shouldnt make a difference and nothing. Finally stumbled across on aother forum and the guy reckoned it was the net connection. So disabled wireless and lo and behold all was okay!!!!! Every time I initiated a wireless connection it crashed and went into an endless loop

Well for an hour anyway. then started again. Past hour it seems stable but I do not trust it. Its either a firmware issue or dodgy dongles.
    Some of the guys have had PSU swap outs HDMI socket changes and even the motherboard but no changes still get reboots.
    Sorry I cant be more helpful and a provide a solution.
    Mine goes back tomorrow with the hope I can swap it out for a Samsung ES 8000 or the Panasonic.
  4. 55LM765S

55LM765S Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same over here ... started yesterday ... i cannot do anything as rebooting is too often ... several times per min ... now i'm waiting reply from LG support ... my LG LM55765S is 2 month old ...
  5. mtleigh

mtleigh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, I had the same issue with 42lm760t and also volume not functioning properly. Lucky for Me Curry's did an exchange and so far I have not had any issues. I did read something about dnla possible causing some problems as I added my mobile as a device but honestly couldn't tell you where I read this.
  6. Foggyzx9r

Foggyzx9r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    K afetr my last post the TV worked fine until last night. Same issue arose. So what was I doing at the time?
    We have 3 desktops 2 laptops 1 IPAD2 and a Kindle HD plus various smartphone all connecting via wireless router. All were switched on ta the time with the excpetion of the Dell 501LX laptop, as soon as that was switched on and up and running the TV started its reboot loop. Wireless connection was active. When I then switched the laptop off the TV stopped rebooting.

Away for the weekend but I will have another go to see if it is the wireless card in the laptop that is causing interference and reboot on the TV.
  7. mtleigh

mtleigh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also since getting my replacement I have now wired the Tv to my router instead of using the wireless feature as I was having no end of connection issues with other devices when the Tv was connected wirelessly. I am not sure if this is related though but thought it might be worth mentioning.
  8. MartinAppleUser

MartinAppleUser Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Me thinks this is something to do with the network connection as I have mine connected via the LAN socket, suddenly 21:30(isn) 13/01/13 started doing an off/on loop disconnect the cable and stops looping off/on.

SO Try WiFi and does the same thing Off/On

Curry's Can I Have an exchange :lease:

Could this be a BUG in there latest firmware ?

Martin
  9. MartinAppleUser

MartinAppleUser Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Went onto the plex web sit and was told that its basically an LG fault that plex triggers but the latest version of plex stops it.

I know it works now my TV if FIXED :thumbsup:
  10. LaLandy

LaLandy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do think it is the wireless here too, turn off the wireless and it works but the moment I turn it on, the TV goes on that damn loop :mad:
    I have the latest Plex and this occurred after I turned off the PS3 :S

Edit: Turned off Plex and it has run non-stop... normally it lasts a minute but this time, no turn off :D guess I have to stop using Plex until an update is available, cheers :)
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. MartinAppleUser

MartinAppleUser Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Plex version has 10 in the version number I though I had the latest until I downloaded from the site and installed that version on my mac and now TV is steady and works great. I don't use wifi though and TV has own IP address.

Also have you added any new files as could be one of them causing the crash - what plex told me

M
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. LaLandy

LaLandy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I have gone and redownloaded and reinstalled the entire thing and set up my library from scratch... it now works, thank you so much :thumbsup:
  13. weeezer

weeezer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello i'm having the same problem with the 42LM760 model.
    It's not the plex since i've uninstalled it and the problem still persists.

I'm wondering, does anyone have an official response from LG about that?
  14. 55LM765S

55LM765S Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i see lots of assumptions here :) ... LG support don't know what causes this problem and they working on it ...
    I'm using wired connection since first day. I can not blame wifi.
    Plex worked fine for 2 months and i did not upgrade it when problem start.
    TV is rebooting even without any connection, including antena cable.

LG service is sending transport to pick up my 55' tv to see what is going on. Expecting them any moment. Will post if they tell me what was wrong.
  15. Frogernoff

Frogernoff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, any news on this? My TV is causing the same issues. Only had it just under 2 months - turns itself off and on every couple of hours or so, as if it's resetting itself. We've done a factory reset on the TV and that hasn't helped. Is this something I've set up wrong? It's an LG 55LM760T. :lease:
  16. weeezer

weeezer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, any feedback?
  17. thornvald80

thornvald80 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it happened to me couple of times as well, contacted LG via email: told me to try plugging TV directly into mains and doing the factory reset QUOTE "we are aware that often surge protector's especially can hinder the performance of our TVs" END QUOTE
    as I couldn't plug it into mains directly I've got my tv plugged into extension lead (no other devices in) see whats gonna happen now. Bought my LG 47LM620T in march, its a great TV but not happy with spending £600 on a faulty item...
  18. splitroaster

splitroaster Member

Ratings:
    +50
    My tv has just started doing this and lg said never heard of problem, tried reset worked fine for a week but now started doing it again thinking of taken it back to curry's really annoying
  19. nenito2k

nenito2k Member

Ratings:
    +56
    PEOPLE still don't understand that LG TV's are crap.....all of them since 2006...just read this forum....yet people still continue to buy them....

if you want quality sets (even if they have problems) go panasonic PLASMAS or Sony TV's at least..
  20. jcdanvers

jcdanvers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung had this same problem, it was due to picture mode being factory set to eco. on the lg smart tv go to options-quick settings then change picture mode to anything else, eg vivid, standard, ect. it cured my 47lg6400 3d google tv.
  21. snkhatua

snkhatua Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have same problem on my 22LE3300. It is 3 years old. Last year after firmware update I faced the auto restart problem. I changed the electric extension board. After 2-3 days the problem was automatically solved. I thought it was electric connection problem. again after 8 months the same problem. now several attempts are failed. I am hopeless. now I am thinking to buy Samsung or sony led.
    finally, I think it is a firmware(software) related or the main board problem.
  22. 75lespaul

75lespaul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw somewhere else that a guy whacked his and it started working.

Mine started today. On and off, on and off nonstop. I unplugged it for a few minutes and it was fine. Then I used the volume control and BOOM...on and off, on and off. Unplugged it again, this time it didn't work. Same problem when plugging it in. Tried this a few times leaving it unplugged for over half an hour with no progress. Hit the internet only to find out this is a common problem, and nobody seems to know how to fix it, except this guy. I thought it was a bogus post. Then after reading about how most answers to this seem to be it is a power supply issue, I gave the TV a whack right where the plug connects to the TV and bingo! Been working fine for over an hour now.

I've only had this TV a week (was an Amazon open box, probably a return) and I'm sending it back and buying a brand new one. We love this TV, and the 2D to 3D feature is great once you change the settings (menu/user guide/advanced/3D/Try Now/enter and viola! Mess around, it's nice) so I'll stop trying to save a buck and just get one new, and hope for the best. I hope this in not a problem that a lot of these TVs suffer from. Hopefully, we are part of a very small percentage that only looks big because we all flock to the same websites when we have a problem. I don't know if giving a sharp smack to the back of the tv is going to help anyone else, but it may be worth a try. Don't beat the crap out of it now--just a solid smack right above where the cord plugs into the TV. I doubt this is a permanent fix, but it may get you going for awhile. Hope this helps somebody!
  23. Don Dadda

Don Dadda Active Member

Ratings:
    +455
    Almost the same problem but my 32LS3500 only turns on but not off and its only 3 months old. 2 months old when this problem started

It is not a smart tv, no WIFI, internet or any other fancy gizmo so basic in comparison to others mentioned as its for the bedroom.

It started around 3 weeks ago, came home and found the tv on, so thought she forgot to switch it off when she left for work. Same thing happen a couple days later. Then one Sunday, while cleaning, it came on 3 times within 2 hrs and after each time i had switched it off, it switched on after around 30mins. Seeing as it was only me in the house, I knew then there was a problem. Removed the timer settings (we had it timed to switch on at 6:55am to help wake her up :D) and anything else that could relate to it switching on. Even disconnected the hdmi cable from the blu ray player.
    It was ok for a couple of days then it occurred again. I searched the net and found that this issue is somewhat not uncommon amongst LG TV's, but no real fix. We have to unplug the tv every time we leave or not going to use it for a few hours. I Contacted LG support today via their Online Chat Service who suggested a factory reset which i will do tonight ,but i'm not holding out much hope for it sorting the issue.

But the strangest thing is, is that it only happens during the day. At night when we go to bed it is left plugged in and its fine. We would know if it did switch on as the volume level its on would wake the dead. We have 2 other older LG tv's, a 42" and a 22" and they do not suffer this.

Besides this issue, i really like this tv. PQ is fantastic, sound is much better than all the other flat screen tv's i heard (does not sound like its in a tin can) and it does all i need so i really do not want to get rid, but its not right and not something i could live with.

If i have to whack it then something is clearly not right.
  24. RJT802

RJT802 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have two LG 42PC1DA's. It happened to the first one, and i thought it was the power supply but i didnt want to risk fixing it myself because the tv was newish. Got LG to come out, it was the power supply. I later replaced the one in the other identical TV because it started on that one. Diagnosis: Power Supply. Hope this helps anyone with wonderful LG syndrome.
  25. Don Dadda

Don Dadda Active Member

Ratings:
    +455
    Right. Its been 2 days since I've factory reset the tv and so far so good, but still not going to count my chickens just yet as its still early days. After a week or so i be more satisfied.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  26. farytiptop

farytiptop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to 75lespaul and RJT802,it is a power problem,its doing what you know "turning on and off" and I stroke right on back of TV where should I say there is the place of power supply ,its immediacy steady stay ON after hit,power supply's have an element that it call Contactor,they are mechanical electrical elements and sometimes it Stick and don't drop then you should hit them.its work for me and if it happen again I know its not a big deal and I do replace them.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  27. Orphan232

Orphan232 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    My LG 55LA690V just started doing this, its only a few months old and the TV is and running the latest software.

Happy this TV is getting sent back, list of faults is growing. Has certainly put me off LG as this was my 1st LG and I wont be buying another.
  28. farytiptop

farytiptop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its all about heat,when you use your TV you actually use the CPU,and problem is that when CPU doing a processing its get heat,first I think the power supply was the cause of restarting TV and I just thinking about that why its happened and "bingo "I found it :CPU gets heat=power supply overflow=start restarting,
    SOLUTION:
    first you need a small fan (like ones in your PC but so small)
    and an adapter that its voltage equal by your fan need
    putt the fan on TVs CPU
    And all the problems solved.
    Done.if you want some pics,tell me I upload some.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  29. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +697
    I did that with one of my satellite receivers to keep it cool running (and also keep the insides cool to save early failure of some of the electrolytic capacitors).
  30. farytiptop

farytiptop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again,I put a quick guide on youtube,check it out: