1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG M2762D-Weird image problem

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Ooze27, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Ooze27

Ooze27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and i would like to know if anybody has the similar problem.

The problem is that sometimes when i turn on the tv, it flickers for a bit, i mean the image goes darker then lighter, if that makes sense.Now i understand this is normal when you turn the device on, my problem is that sometimes it makes this effect during movies (very rare, 2 times only) and when playing xbox the other day it started to produce this effect all over the picture, then it went dark and there was only sound (this only happened once.

Does this have to do with the audo diming issue (i've read some threads about it) or do you think it might be faulty? I bought this tv last October and i never noticed this until a couple months ago, but since it doesn't happen that often i thought it should be normal.I just don't want to go to the retailer and when asked to show what's going on, nothing happens, because like i said it happens sometimes but not on regular basis.

If anyone had a similar issue of someone could give some tips on how to know if it a faulty set, i would appreciate.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text.
  2. Timelord666

Timelord666 New Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Have you switched off `Auto Brightness`?

There is a sensor in the front of `M` Tv`s that is there to `see` the background light level in your room and f..kup your picture acorrordingly!!:devil:

Switch this stupid `Gimmick` off....:smashin:

If you are going through HDMI you can not switch off `Auto Dimming`, well you can try - `Dynamic Contrast` off, But LG thinks it knows best and so the TV will quietly carry on processing in the background!!!!:lesson:

Use the DVI input, this switchs off most processing - including dimming.:thumbsup:
  3. Ooze27

Ooze27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your reply Timelord, yes i have now switched auto brightness off and dynamic contrast.Until now it hasn't done it again, but it only does it from time to time so i guess i will have to wait a few days and see if it doesn't do it again.The only thing i have connected through hdmi is the xbox.I'll have to find a way to connect it through dvi using the component cable.

But does the auto dimming displays some sort of flickering or is it like a gradual process?
  4. Timelord666

Timelord666 New Member

Ratings:
    +11
    No - Auto Dimming effect the way dark scenes are displayed, it should not flick between light -dark, unless your are displaying something that is upsetting the picture processor.

If your flickering only effects one of your HDMI inputs, try another port, or try a another lead.

Xbox to DVI, easy go to ASDA, they do a HDMI{Xbox end} -> DVI{TV end}lead £5.99, and it`s HDCP compliant, so you could use it also with your Blu-ray to watch movies.

Don`t use a Xbox -> component lead - The component input on LG LCD TV`s do Auto dim, aswell as the HDMI inputs.

Flickering Panel? - Faulty? - After looking at some tech sites, there are two things that it might be:

1/ Your power inverter that powers/drives the LCD screen is playing up.

2/ The driver chip that `maps` the screen data to LCD pixels is faulty.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. Ooze27

Ooze27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, that's what i think.It flickers kinda of darker/lighter in a few seconds, my problem is that it doesn't happen all the time, so if i take it to a retailer and that doesn't happen, i'm not sure how will they approach that.But by your explanation it must be some fault, because it doesn't gradually become darker or lighter it just flickers.It's only 8 months old, so it should be no problem to exchange it or repair.Thanks again for your help.

*edit

I discovered something by mistake, most of the time i switch the tv on and off with the remote, but about 1 hour ago i was near the tv and powered it on on the tv control panel and the flickering begun again,i usually just give a light tap.I switched it off and on with the remote, it was still doing it, so i pressed the on and off button on the tv set a little harder (not much lol) and it went away.Now i remember that all the other times i turned it on, on the control panel, because i remember being close to it when it happened.Eventually it might have something to do with a malfunction on the power button, i don't know if this makes sense since it's a touch panel...
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  6. Timelord666

Timelord666 New Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Or a loose connection behind the face plate of the TV, Just let your know there are other threads on malfunctioning touch buttons on the front of LG TV`s on this forum.
  7. Ooze27

Ooze27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, thanks again Timelord, as of now it's working great,i'm a bit mad since i really like this tv, the picture quality is great.Does somebody know what sort of policy LG has in cases like these? i mean, a faulty set? I'm asking because the retailer where i bought it is a bit tricky when it comes to these things (i've just learned about this yesterday) and i don't want to get tricked into some situation. Basically what i want to know is if they usually exchange the tv set or if it goes to repair? I know it's kind of a stupid question, but i just want to avoid a nasty situation for me.I thought about pm'ing LGUK (dave, i think) but i can't find the pm button eheheh.Thanks Timelord.
  8. Timelord666

Timelord666 New Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Yes I`ve had `Tricky` retailers, `Yes mate, bring it back in`, you do, it`s on repair for ages, whilst he keeps on -
    `If only you spend some more, he`ll get you a nice set this time`.....:nono:

If you need them, here are LG - Europes E-Mail details::smashin:

cic.uk@lge.com

or

customerservice@lge.com
  9. Ooze27

Ooze27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, that's what i thought.I'm going to contact LG before i contact the retailer.

* Edit Talked to LG today, tomorrow they will come by my house to try and fix the issue here, if they can't they will take the tv and fix it on week's time, which is pretty good imo if they are able to do it.So far, great customer service.I'll then add what they discover here, may be of use to someone else.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  10. Ooze27

Ooze27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well it's fixed now, they changed the power inverter here at my place but it still was malfunctioning, luckily it happened right in front of the technician, it did the flickering and shut off, only sound would come out.He took the tv on tuesday so they could check better what it was, delivered it to me today by carrier, they exchanged the whole panel.I have to say this is one of the best services i have ever seen on electronics.The company is 300 km from my place,i reported the problem on monday and today i have pratically a brand new tv.Really top notch service by LG.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Member 300569

Member 300569 Member

Ratings:
    +634
    Sorry to hear you had problems with your monitor, I'm glad you got it resolved in the end! Happy Xboxing!! (don't forget the new maps for CoD!! ;))
  12. Ooze27

Ooze27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh well it happens, i happen to be a little unlucky with electronics and to think i take care of this stuff like they're babies eheh.But it all worked out, they were very fast in fixing it,no hassle at all.I'm not a COD man,but i will for sure play some Forza 3 now:)
  13. Member 300569

Member 300569 Member

Ratings:
    +634
    They are pretty much the only 2 games I play! (not sure about Forza 4 yet.... not bothered about Kinnect...)
  14. Ooze27

Ooze27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't bother about Kinect either, but the physics seem much improved and the graphics too, i think i can't let it pass ehehe.