1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG GT505 - How to i get the browser to use Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'LG Mobile Phones' started by Marklomax, Aug 7, 2009.

1. adder

adder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They told me uma wont work because of a known fault and a replacement phone wont fix it after they said it will at a cost of £70 to me and also the wifi wont as there softwear stops it, it did work for a while it sees the wifi in my house and the phone connects the house goes red but wont go green and on other wifis i have more trouble than any other phone with this i even have 2 batterys orange sent me one when i complained about its life
    Now dont know what to go for iphone or samsung or nokia

adder
  2. Barry_

Barry_ Active Member

Ratings:
    +567
    True - orange do seem to completely mess the phones up with there own firmware - my uma work all the time - signal at home is rubbish but get full signal with uma. Battery life is pants - have to charge it every day even with minimal use

I'm going to swap to O2 or maybe vodaphone (vodaphone sell a home uma kit which is handy) i think once my contract is up - as for the phone if i was getting one now i think it would be the HTC desire with android :smashin:
  3. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,149
    Orange have made a complete mess of the GT540's firmware as well(I bought an o2 one, a friend bought the one from Orange, what a mess), whereas o2 is untouched, apart from pre-set APN's, which can be deleted/edited, if you flash to the european firmwares.

Personally, I stay clear of Orange.
  4. jmarkavi

jmarkavi Member

Ratings:
    +1
    :) great news fellows. I followed yout kind instructions for downloading from megaupload the lg gt505 flash routine. Though tricky, you need to be persistant on unplagging/plugging back in the usb cable and timing of the Volume + button...
    once you get a usb address number it is smooth sailing from that point forward.

now for the sexy part. on a brand new battery before the flash
    and the phone on the ORANGE NETWORK, my wife would report the new battery dying within 15 hours, some times less!!!
    AFTER THE FLASH, 20 SEC SCREENSAVER, ENERGY SAVER=ON
    AND PHONE USED ONLY FOR CALLS, NO WIFI, NO BLUTOOTH,
    NO OTHER APPS OPENED, THE PHONE IS STILL RUNNING AFTER 5 FULL DAYS ON A FULL CHARGE! AMAZING!!!???
    AND I WAS READY TO GET RID OF IT...

next i plan to test wifi, download opera mini and report back.
    In the meantime thanx to the French solution, thanx to the guys that took the time to xlate the instructions and to all of you that took the time to report your progress. please pass this on to anyone else that may find it helpful.
    I am always availabe for help at jmarkavi@hotmail.com
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Zsumbo

Zsumbo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hy everybody! I have a problem.I entered at this test menu (3845#*505#) and i mest up something because I can't open the originaly instalt Wisepilot or google maps.What should i do?:lease:
  6. craigymou

craigymou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey every1 i seem to be having the sort of same problems i just got my lg gt505 unlocked from orange lol what a coincidence hahah but my wifi is not working it finds the networks but will not connect pls help if you can i also read something about if you flash your phone it will work so i tryed that but it was confusing and i gave up can any1 pls HELP ME !!
  7. searcher1

searcher1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This reminds me of dear Orange and the cunning way they dealt with LG phones 2 years ago with me. They changed the firmware so that whilst you thought you were connected to wi-fi, ALL data was in fact not going through that route but from the phone to Orange internet. The ploy was so they could make money out of data charges. In my case they semi admitted what they did, swiftly changed their web page to not mention wi-fi and gave me the postage to send the phone back (now that's a first!). I have to say they tried to get me to believe something entirely different and I can recall saying I that this sort of underhand practice called their reputation into question. From a marketing aspect they did themselves no favours.

I'd not be surprised if LG's original firmware would now solve the problem as your phone is unlocked but I might be wrong.

Michael
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  8. holywoodmum

holywoodmum Member

Ratings:
    +0
    craigymou if you read back through the thread there are detailed instructions to flash the original firmware. I gave up though.
    I hated this phone with a passion, and after my 4th replacement handset in 19 months I now have a Nokia X6 which is SO much better!
    There were so many things wrong with this in terms of being mis-sold - eg the wifi thing but also I was told I had a two year warranty which it turned out was not the case. I have wasted 2 hours of my life on the phone to Orange in the last week complaining. Finally spoke to someone who basically admitted everyone else had been b*llsh!tting me and managed to swing it so that I could get out of my contract at 19 months with no penalty - but only if I took out another 2 year contract - I told her thanks but no thanks. I feel really let down by Orange over this whole thing, and needless to say I'm in no hurry to sign anything wiht them any time soon!!
    Good luck restoring the LG firmware - I don't think the phone is intrinsically a sh!t one, it's just what Orange have done to it...