LG EA980 Owners Thread

Yeh its in the 4k lcd tv range ...

I guess LG knew in advance of my idiocy then because they sent me two panels with dead subpixels, both afflicted with letterbox IR that even showed up on content in the early days. The data is pretty scarce to draw any conclusions against the early adopters.

(I still do see it, much worse than on any plasma I've owned...so in hindsight, the break-in was definitely a waste of time and energy).
its th opposite for me, my plasmas showed a TON more Ir than this set, hell, just starting up my panny plamsa, the viera logo could be seen in an all black screen, after being on the screen for only a few seconds

This tv's IR, i wouldnt even call IR
LB movies shut off the top and bottom of the tv screen, meaning, the middle should age faster than the off sections
So, to see real IR, you would think that on full screen content, the middle of screen would appear less bright than the LB sections. You would see this no matter what was on the screen. My 04 65' mitsubishi rear projection screen had horrible 4:3 burn in, where the middle was less bright than the outer sides and i was always there

What I have seen on this set, it going to a slide or all blue screen and seeing a faint ghosting of a line, where the LB was, there is no difference in the brightness like real IR would show.And the weird thing is, i only see it at the top, in a few places, its like a broken ghost line
I turn the tv off or watch a little more content, and its gone
And IR isnt that big a deal as it isnt permanent, and im not seeing it on any content i play, i have to look for it

thats what i mean
its only you idiots :p that runs slides for 100+ hours that kill your tvs.
no "semi" normal user that i know have any problem.

conclusion ?

Concution is still run em in but with lesser hours and use plasma screen wash to take care of em for ir. :smashin:

its th opposite for me, my plasmas showed a TON more Ir than this set, hell, just starting up my panny plamsa, the viera logo could be seen in an all black screen, after being on the screen for only a few seconds

This tv's IR, i wouldnt even call IR
LB movies shut off the top and bottom of the tv screen, meaning, the middle should age faster than the off sections
So, to see real IR, you would think that on full screen content, the middle of screen would appear less bright than the LB sections. You would see this no matter what was on the screen. My 04 65' mitsubishi rear projection screen had horrible 4:3 burn in, where the middle was less bright than the outer sides and i was always there

What I have seen on this set, it going to a slide or all blue screen and seeing a faint ghosting of a line, where the LB was, there is no difference in the brightness like real IR would show.And the weird thing is, i only see it at the top, in a few places, its like a broken ghost line
I turn the tv off or watch a little more content, and its gone
And IR isnt that big a deal as it isnt permanent, and im not seeing it on any content i play, i have to look for it
That's wonderful for you, but I assure you it was showing up in regular content after watching the LOTR extended movies back to back on this panel. Sure, my most recent plasma is mainly afflicted by temporary IR from logos and the like that goes away within minutes. And sigh, yes, we've already been over how this is not typical letterbox IR, so I guess I should preface that discussion with atypical so as to not be unnecessarily schooled again. :(

I also most certainly see it at the bottom, with another horizontal line above the space of the letterbox area that somehow etched itself onto the screen (no idea of the source here).

Anyway, it it's pretty infuriating to be called an idiot when the damn thing had dead subpixels out of the box, on both panels I owned, with several other owners (myself included) claiming more dying within the 50 first hours of use.

Was the reason i was trying the low light n contrast out of the box to try to be gentle with it from the start.

That's wonderful for you, but I assure you it was showing up in regular content after watching the LOTR extended movies back to back on this panel. Sure, my most recent plasma is mainly afflicted by temporary IR from logos and the like that goes away within minutes. And sigh, yes, we've already been over how this is not typical letterbox IR, so I guess I should preface that discussion with atypical so as to not be unnecessarily schooled again. :(

I also most certainly see it at the bottom, with another horizontal line above the space of the letterbox area that somehow etched itself onto the screen (no idea of the source here).

Anyway, it it's pretty infuriating to be called an idiot when the damn thing had dead subpixels out of the box, on both panels I owned, with several other owners (myself included) claiming more dying within the 50 first hours of use.
you have any pics showing IR in content?
how is this set any different of getting rid of IR? Im sure, just like your plasma, that with use, it will go away

i had 2 dead sub blues out of the box and nothing since, still the two dead

I did not take them at the time it occurred. I will have to shoot for another extended letterbox session at some point and see if I can do so if/when it recurs.

Was the reason i was trying the low light n contrast out of the box to try to be gentle with it from the start.
I guess that makes little difference in the end when you have marginal pixels present from the beginning.

I guess that makes little difference in the end when you have marginal pixels present from the beginning.

Yes but i dint have any dead or stuck ones out of the box, i exspected a few when reading the avs users hands on issues. and the imprint coopson had i never had aswell

That just means marginal ones don't always exhibit defects in the beginning, and the heat from breaking in can be enough to cause them to fail (combined with the aging algorithm as I theorized in your case and Plague's). I don't think I'll bother with a break-in at all on the next OLED. Will just grab an EW (with the longest coverage i can find).

IR doesnt bother me, nor did it on the plamas either
its temporary
i do think that oled is susceptible to IR and burn in like a plasma, but, its just the nature of the beast

im more worried about true IR over time. If these OLEDs do age fast, than my upper and lower LB sections will show brighter over timeas I am watching more and more blu rays as I increase my collection

That just means marginal ones don't always exhibit defects in the beginning, and the heat from breaking in can be enough to cause them to fail (combined with the aging algorithm as I theorized in your case and Plague's). I don't think I'll bother with a break-in at all on the next OLED. Will just grab an EW (with the longest coverage i can find).
do we know the difference between stuck and dead? Would you call the pics on the last page stuck pixels(white screen with the red and blue stuck)?
This very much mirrors the article, where they took a pic of many stuck pixels (imo)

After getting a letterbar inprint after 90min , i zoomed out all my blurays to prevent that i did try to "run" in letterbars but for me that didnt work

do we know the difference between stuck and dead? Would you call the pics on the last page stuck pixels(white screen with the red and blue stuck)?
This very much mirrors the article, where they took a pic of many stuck pixels (imo)
I'm not 100% sure. White subpixels when dead might look different than their RGB cousins. I don't want to say definitively one way or another, but you could be onto something.

My blue dead ones looked black the other ones 2and2 was glowing

The pixels in the article weren't "stuck". They just didn't fully turn off. (Almost certainly due to the driver transistors not fully turning off.) So they dimmed down a long way - but not to completely black. But to take a photo of it they used f/1.8 for 4 seconds. So you would have had a hard time seeing anything. You'd certainly need a pitch dark room and let your eyes dark adapt for a few minutes at the very least! (Actually given the complexities of the thresholds for the driver transistors the set of which pixels were "lazy" might change over time.)

Good point...the exposure was quite long and that was apparently taken on a full-black screen.

Never did se any white glowing ones on black tho.

^Me neither, just imperfect backplane uniformity near black.

Just bought my ext. warranty direct from LG, meaning I should be golden through March 2017.

^Me neither, just imperfect backplane uniformity near black.

Just bought my ext. warranty direct from LG, meaning I should be golden through March 2017.

I made sure mine was accompanied by a 5 year warranty. Technology this new demands it basically....

I asked for a longer period, but they didn't offer it, and after the positive LG customer service experience earlier this year, I don't mind rewarding them for it. While the WOLED production method is fairly new, OLED itself has been in development for long enough that I'm not going to fret over the last 2 years.

you have any pics showing IR in content?
how is this set any different of getting rid of IR? Im sure, just like your plasma, that with use, it will go away

i had 2 dead sub blues out of the box and nothing since, still the two dead

I watched about 3 hours of house of cards to get this its the small black bar the show has.

Had it on the top and bottom I couldn't get rid of it before my TV was swapped it was there for more then 24 hours and I tried running wipes and leaving the TV off but had no effect.

23mpjm1.jpg

Wow, burn in from a 60 minute lb

Did your other set get any burn in?

thats bad but i think you had a faulty panel.

its the people with problems that shouts loudest in here remember ;)
the happy users are just enjoying the worlds best picture.

House of Cards just starting here.
lets have it running for 4! hours and see what happends.
im going to stop it at 21:00 GMT

The 2nd set I got performed in the same way, I didn't watch house of cards non stop too that was about 3 total with other shows between

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom