1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG customer service for my LG Smokey Screen Issue

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by difficult, May 19, 2012.

1. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,

I have the LG (47LG5020) LCD TV for last few years. The manufacturing warranty has run out and now TV got smokey horizontal lines through out the TV screen. These lines are more visible on certain colours. I contacted with an engineer and he told me that this TV is beyond repair. After investigation on-line I found that its a common manufacturing problem with the LCD panel. I need your opinion please...
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The copy of my email is here,

eceived Date : 18/05/2012 23:17 25
    The type of inquiry : Customer Service
    Product/Model No. : LCD TV ( 33" Under )/47LG5020

Dear Sir/Madam,

I purchased 47LG5020 TV from Comet on 8/10/2008 with the promise of great product quality and long life of LCD, around 10-15 years. I have been a happy customer with LG and I even purchased another 32 LG LCD tv and LG Optimus 3D mobile phone to enjoy the quality and technology from LG.

Unfortunately the LG tv screen has developed smoky vertical bar lines through out screen and when the screen warms up, sections of the screen become discoloured. It also start doing screen burning. I was quite disappointed with these issues with my television. I consulted with the engineer, he told me that this TV is beyond economical repair and LG has discontinued this TV due to similar issue.

I hope LG will assist me with the further advise about this TV, please

Regards,

####THIS IS THE REPLY I GOT FROM LG TV####

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you have lost faith in the LG brand. Obviously it is impossible to predict the lifespan of any electrical items (not just the LG brand), and a fault can occur at any point of using an electrical product. All LG TV&#39s come with a 1 year manufacturers warranty, after which point further warranty has to be purchased by the customer. All repairs will also be at a cost to the customer outside the manufacturers guarantee.

As you stated an engineer deemed this &#39beyond economical repair&#39, we would be greatly interested in seeing an official report from a qualified engineer that states this fact.

You may be interested to know that Domestic and General provide a &#39repair and protect&#39 plan. Their number is 0870 549 0000.

I hope this has been of assistance to you. However, if the information I have provided does not help you or if you have any further questions please email again or contact our Customer Service Team again on 0844 8475454 or via the Web Chat facility on our website and we will endeavour to do our best to resolve your query.

Please could I ask you to complete a short survey based on the response and information that I have provided you today. All feed back given is greatly appreciated and helps to improve LG Electronics Customer Services.

Best regards,

Annie
    TV, Media & IT Product Support

LG Electronics UK Helpdesk
  3. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS Member

Ratings:
    +241
    If you can prove to LG that's the TV has not lasted a reasonable time they SHOULD offer you some form of compensation. Unfortunately the warranty IS only a year but you could try the sale of goods act as a gentle reminder to LG....?
  4. RiGoRmOrTiS

RiGoRmOrTiS Member

Ratings:
    +42
    The UK Sale of Goods Act offers protection against faulty goods even when the manufacturer's guarantee has run out and says that goods must last a “reasonable time” – which can be claimed anything up to 6 years from the date of purchase.

This doesnt mean you'll get free repairs after your 12 months warranty is up; but apparantly something shouldn't be "beyond economical repair" within that 6 year time span. If it is then the quality of the product can be brought into question.

Which is probably why LG showed an interest in seeing the report where its "beyond economical repair" because in that light it might actually require them to provide some sort of compensation. (thus they'll not just believe that statement verbally)
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  5. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I kept the TV in great condition and i can't find a single scratch on the body or screen.

The problem must be inherited in the manufacturing components or poor technology. Otherwise the expected life span of the lcd tv, if you run 24/7, the TV should last well over six years. With normal use, it should last around ten years.

Now the question is, where to access this legal information before I draft a second email to LG customer services.
  6. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Here you go, have a read through this.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54
  7. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I finally found another website, which explained everything in easy words and I will write to LG and I will provide the reference from the website too.

The website is, How long can you expect something to last? | Consumer Information

Have any of you guys dealt with a similar issue with LG or any other brand and what is your experience?
  8. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4
    THIS IS MY SECOND EMAIL TO THE LG,

(Thanks for your reply. I understand that the fault can occur at any time in electronic products. But the brand name does provide quality and durability to the customers and the legislations of UK act 1979 does provide a protection to the end users.

Since I bought the LG TV. It has been sitting on the same place. I always give a good care to the TV and I cant see any scratch and any physical damage to the television. The current fault which occurred on the TV is most likely is due to the either less quality material or deficit in the manufacturing process. I have further investigated this issue thoroughly online and a similar problem has occurred in Toshiba and Sony. These manufacturing faults have surfaced after 2-3 years. When these faults were reported by the customers to the companies regardless of any warranty, they were offered a refund/replacement by the companies which acknowledged the fault.
    I am also providing you a reference from the websites so you can validate my research and see where i have obtained my information from.
    How long can you expect something to last? | Consumer Information

If you want to conduct your own research you are most welcome to send any engineer to my home provided it is at a mutually agreeable time as I work full time.
    I would really appreciate it if you consider all these circumstances, as well as the fact that the durability of the LG tv has not lived to its expectations. I have given all due care to the TV looking after it very carefully. I would be quite happy to received a replacement or compensation after your careful consideration.

Many regards and I look forward to hearing from you.)
  9. Insanity202

Insanity202 Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,850
    With SOGA law the issues of faulty items is to be taken up with the retailer not the manufacturer of the goods.
    In this case its comet. They would need to see the report from the independent repair team to show its a product flaw not a issues caused by neglect etc.
    Your contract is with the place of purchase.
  10. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4

Oh yah you are right but as far as I know, since the warranty has run out, the seller is not responsible for the break down of the TV anymore.

secondly, its a manufacturing fault. Therefore, its the manufacturer (in my case LG) who is held responsible for the fault.

Thirdly, as you can see from other examples on this forum. Two of the customers (who had similar problem) were give refund/exchange for the faulty products from the manufacturers.
  11. Gadget 54

Gadget 54 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    No, Insanity is correct. Your contract is with the person/company who you purchased the TV from not with the manufacturer. Therefore the manufacture has no responsibility in law to do anything. Go back to Comet and make a complaint. If they are unwilling to do anything and you bought the item on a credit card, get onto them as they have a joint liability
  12. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Gadget 54. I do sell credit cards and I know what sort of liability they carry. The credit card companies can provide some sort of protection to its user with a very limited time scale. Which is normally around 90 days.

So its the same with the distributors and suppliers and who carry a limited responsibility, unless it is stated clearly in the terms of sale or the brand/product is owned by the supplier. This was not true in my case. If you google it and find the similar complaints from other end users, were dealt direct from the manufacturers. The EU consumer protection law also give similar protection to the consumers.

I believe that customer care and satisfaction is utmost important in this competitive market. I hope that LG will not dump me alone here and ignore the issues which we LG customer are dealing with.
  13. Gadget 54

Gadget 54 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    You may sell credit cards but you don't seem to have a good grounding in consumer credit law. Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act doesn't have a 90 day restriction. As I said in my earlier post, you have a contract with the retailer to supply you with a product that is of merchantable quality and fit for purpose. If the product doesn't last for a reasonable time (this depends on the nature and value of the product) without defect, then he is liable for the repair. if he refuses to do so, the credit card company has a joint liability.

Other that for reasons of goodwill, the manufacturer has no obligation to do anything for you unless you purchased the product directly from them as you have not entered into any form of contract with them.
  14. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +3,850
    Under SOGA the retailer is held responsible for 6yrs from time of purchase. It will be you who is responsible to prove there is a manufacturing defect that caused the fault which is what they should have put in the report.
    While a manufacturer can step in and help these under no legal obligation to do so.
    In others words if LG themselves won't help taking action with your retailer will be the next step and you will have more protection by law.

Best of luck mate. Please keep us posted.
  15. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys, I took few pictures of the smokey lines on my LG TV. As soon as the TV gets warm or is used for a long period of time (such as over an hour or so) these lines become more visible and the picture burning become more visible. Since this fault has occurred, we can't enjoy the TV or watch anything without feeling distortion in picture.
    Do any of you have similar problem with your LCD TV?

HEY GUYS, CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO UPLOAD PICTURES ON THIS SITE PLEASE... :)
  16. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I found the way to upload the pictures but I had to downsize them. I hope you will able to download them and pass me your comments please

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  17. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +3,850
    Thats one of the strangeset things Ive seen.
    It looks as if the screen is marked on the inside or sinking inwards. :confused:

Very strange indeed.
  18. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4
    When screen panel warms up, these lines become more visible and discolour the picture and the screen burning irritates to the eyes.

Someone from LG ( a very kind person ) has contacted me and the great help is on the way. I hope I will have a happy end.
  19. EmJay

EmJay Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Wishing you all the best with this mate :thumbsup:, that is SHOCKING.
  20. difficult

difficult Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have been offered with a replacement tv with led 47" or a plasma 42" smart tv. I think I might accept the offer as something is better than nothing. As you can see from the pictures the current tv is pretty much on its way out. Can anyone tell me if LG 42PM470T tv can be used with a generic 3d active glasses or is there a specific one I need?
    Has anyone else got this 42PM470T tv? If so can u let me know what u think?