Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG CH10 Blu-ray drive won't play Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Speckled Jim, May 4, 2012.

1. Speckled Jim

Speckled Jim New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For some reason my Blu-ray player has stopped playing blu-rays, but plays DVDs just fine. It used to play blu-rays, although getting it to play when I first got it was a pain and I can't remember how I solved it. I have recently upgraded my graphics card, ATI 4750x2 to NVIDIA 560Ti.

Anyway, as far as I know my computer meets all blu-ray requirements, as I've played them before. I use PowerDVD 10, upgraded for free from PowerDVD 8 which came with the drive. Cyberlink's BD Advisor shows that everything on my computer meets blu-ray playback requirements, except for the blu-ray drive. So that to me is the problem. I know windows 7 doesn't have blu-ray functionality but I thought software like PowerDVD was supposed to take care of that.

So I tried installing the firmware for my drive from LG but the installer says it can't find the target drive, and LG's automatic firmware updater shows no blu-ray drive either. LG's customer support was no help, nor was Cyberlink's. Usually when I've had an issue I found others with a similar problem but not this time it seems. While there are lots of results for no blu-ray playback non have helped me. So I've turned to here for any answers.

So, how do I install firmware for a drive the installer says doesn't exist? If that's what will solve my problem. Can anyone help?

Thank you.
  2. STdrez625

STdrez625 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80
    What is your drive recognzed as? dvc mgr...

Windows will see and use a blu ray drive for Data discs, DVD's BUT blu-rays(films) are a seperate format that is recognized by your PowerDVD software.
    Actually it sounds like you have somehow "broken" the PowerDVD installation.
    Re download and re-install the Pow2erDvd software, from the cyberlink site.
    Only re-install firmware if all else fails.

Your Graphics card driver is not fully compatible with BD playback.??
    re-install windows due to gfx card update
  3. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Seeing as your drive plays standard DVDs it is not a software problem but a hardware problem.
    This sort of problem is common on older PS3s now. Can't play any blu-ray disks but can play standard DVDs.
    If you purchased this recently then RMA it as faulty.
    Given that the shipped updater software doesn't recognise tells alot. Second that the firmware installer doesn't recognise it just reinforces what the updater software is saying.
    I would say you will be looking for a new blu-ray player.
    If it was software related Cyberlink are under no obligation to help you as the software is OEM supplied with the drive and is quite often restricted to that drive.