Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG BD390 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by Schpikster, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjcairney

mjcairney Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
  2. awink1

awink1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +251
    Whilst playing the Vob file, have you tried changing the audio? Most DVDs have multiple Audio tracks, so it might just default to the 2 channel track.
  3. nickg1977

nickg1977 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I would suggest double checking the output. I've noticed on mine that the display on screen says 2 channel, but my amp is still receiving the 5.1.

Nick
  4. nickg1977

nickg1977 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Right, after setting up this morning I thought I'd give some initial feedback.

Installation was very straightfoward, both from a blu-ray and networking point of view.

To summarise what I've done so far:

Updated to latest software
    Run multiregion patch - all fine
    Played Blu-ray disc, and an interlaced DVD. Picture at least on a par with my Sony350, although not running side by side so cannot say 100% on this.

Only minor niggle is with playing files over network.
    vob, mpg and mkv all play fine, but I cannot switch audio tracks on mpg files with more than one track, and subtitles just don't seem to be recognised at all. Hopefully this can be sorted with an update. Some of my mkv's came up with "this file might not play properly", but then seemed to be fine anyway.
    I have also noticed the problem with displaying certain jpgs over the network. A folder with 11 pictures in from my digital camera (all taken same day and unaltered) - 8 display fine, the other 3 just show a question mark. Again hopefully something that can be sorted with an update.

All in all though very impressed! I can now enjoy watching my DVD collection from my Hard Drive and relegate the DVDs to the loft :)

Nick
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  5. sum-av

sum-av Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:
  6. rnem170

rnem170 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Per my update above, Subs work across the network if you have a .srt file in the folder. I too am waiting for a proper fix.. not sure how to report this bug to LG.

Me too.. I'm using RipBot264 to convert them all.. but at 2-3hrs to convert to .mkv with AC3 or DTS sound, it takes a fair while...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +177
    If you don't want to mess just use MakeMKV which I believe just transcodes the MPEG2 video data into an MKV file so no need for a full reencode :)
  8. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor Member

Ratings:
    +14
    ok will check, mine was showing left / right arrows to select different audio but all saying 2 channel, I was using the internal decoder and I beleive the centre was dead.

What is the best format to transfers my DVD's to my server that gives me good quality and 5.1, as playing VOB files gives a gap as it changes from file to file

Re Dave
  9. nickg1977

nickg1977 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    For vob files, I have the output going to my amp via coaxial. Don't know if this makes a difference.
    To get around the vob break, I just used dvdshrink, and set it to output as 1 file. Therefore each film/episode is one vob file. Although file size is relatively large, you get the exact picture and sound quality that was on the oringinal DVD.

Nick
  10. pippin

pippin Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Can anyone comment on the DVD upscaling quality on the 390?

I'm currently debating Sony360 v Panasonic60 vs LG390.
  11. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +177
    Panny is very slow apparently, no idea on the Sony. Upscaling on the 390 is supposed to be good. 390 really compares to higher spec Sony and Panasonic models.
  12. Caoimhghin

Caoimhghin Member

Ratings:
    +31
    You can report any problems via their website, this is a direct link to the e-mail form:

GSFS

I hope you have better luck than me with any reply you receive, this is an example of their quality of reply to a question I raised:

My Enquiry:
    LG's Reply:
    Can anyone equate their reply to the question I raised?
  13. aido

aido Member

Ratings:
    +33
    That sounds like a copy and paste from their flowchart!
  14. southone

southone Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Im impressed with this BD390 I think even so I found files it wont play already .TS and .TP, I also offered it a HD-DVD disk and it wasn't having that and spat that back out LOL
    On Dark side of oz mkv I get “This movie may not play properly” its got 2 sound tracks the oz sound track and its synched to dark side of the moon which I am unable to switch too
    On the whole its super quick and does most files I have offered it and is much nicer to use than the Tvix M6500A I have been using :thumbsup:
    Edit: I just got The Rocky Horror Picture Show 1080i .TS playing ok so some dont play
  15. donzo44

donzo44 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine 2 days ago - GREAT player as expected.

Got on network no problem. Followed manual instructions to share folders.

When I try to access files from My Media I get the following error -
    'Media Server Access Is Not Permitted' and can't access any network files.

Connected to network via Cat5 cable and running Windows 7.

Any ideas anyone?

TIA
  16. shrek101

shrek101 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Go to drive you want sharing in my computer

Properties then at bottom go to Network and sharing centre

Media streaming and choose media streaming options

and its in there making sure router will allow access via mac code etc

I then went into media player and allowed various folders for pictures and media content like movies to be shared

http://www.wowimages.net/download.php?file=njujj06iuhnvxv7e897q.jpg
    http://www.wowimages.net/download.php?file=9m93wbvgzjs3rukyt8qj.jpg

shown pictures of what is being done

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. donzo44

donzo44 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I just got back to PC after solving my own problem. Turns out that Windows Firewall was allowing Public access to Nero Mediahome Server but was BLOCKING private(local) network access. Unblocked it and now working superbly, playing DIVX films, playing MP3's and playing JPG pics.

Meantime I ordered a WD Elements 500gb 2.5 inch external USB powered HDD which can be used when network files are unavailable.

A GREAT BUY!!

Regards
  18. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I have now connected to my amp via coax and get 5.1 from a Vob file (thanks for the heads up on DVD shrink & single file)

So its the internal decoder that wont work with a VOB file but does work with a MKV file, strange as the internal decoder works with a DVD?

Any thoughts?
  19. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +177
    There are oddities on all media players unfortunately. I.e. the PS3 will stream DTS from DVDs and DVDs with mt2s files on them but not when playing files across a network?!
  20. chubsta

chubsta Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I have a number of music videos that are in vob format, multiple files per disc - anyone know how to join them to stream them to the BD390?
  21. Per_Koefoed

Per_Koefoed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Being a happy owner of a Denon AVR-2310 AV Receiver, I am in the market for a new BD player to replace an older Samsung. I am very attracted to this LG BD390 especially with the possibilities for - besides great Blu-ray performance - being a streaming device.

However I was aware of some observations in american AV Forums about bad compatibility on the HDMI interfaces regarding HD sound between the Denon xx10 series and the LG BD390.

Does anyone in this forum own a Denon AVR-xx10 receiver as well as LG BD390 and would comment on that?
  22. sneerfulbrute

sneerfulbrute Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I was saving up for a Oppo BDP831 when the 390 lept onto the stage at bargain basement prices, now that the 831 has stalled, I have my theories about that, all I can say is that I stand by my first posts about the 390. I'm just happy that I got it for the price that I did. If however I knew how good the streaming aspect was going to be, I would have stuck with the 390!
  23. captsmith

captsmith Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate,, il try that,,
  24. captsmith

captsmith Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate,, il try that,:thumbsup:
  25. Nutcase

Nutcase Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have tested my brand new WD My Passport Essential 500gb usb powered and it works perfectly together with the 390, fast startup, quiet and it plays nearly all files, also 720p. Unfortunately it won't manage to play 1080p HD-files so I leave that job to my old maxtor with external power supply.

The bd player is great, but I have experienced that the player didn't recognize some avi files and some mkv files (vlc easily played the same files). Hopefully a firmware will fix that.
  26. sneerfulbrute

sneerfulbrute Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Why do you do a factory reset? Or do you mean that the update resets the player?
  27. vumad

vumad Member

Ratings:
    +6
    This may be no help at all ;) but the LG BD390 appears to work fine with my Denon AVR-3808 over HDMI.
  28. Damian1978

Damian1978 Active Member

Ratings:
    +234
    I sorta always do that when updating firmware really....just in case. I don't think it's necessary but remember from my HD DVD updating days it can remove any glitches.
  29. Hippo04

Hippo04 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have AVR-1910 and BD390, they work just fine together. I let the BD390 do all the decoding and send multichannel PCM to 1910. I have not tested bitstreaming HD audio though (I guess this is the problem you refer to?).
  30. Per_Koefoed

Per_Koefoed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

Bitstreaming should be the problem, whereas decoding in the LG BD player and then forwarding as LPCM (Multichannel) should function allright.

So in this way, you will not find out which device does the best decoding of the HD sound formats, but I guess the LG will do allright?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.