Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 50PV350T Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Boggsy, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Boggsy

Boggsy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thought I'd start a thread and see if anyone else picked one of these up over the bank holiday weekend, and see what they think.

Been looking at buying a 50inch for a while, and finally decided to take the plunge after seeing this in store at Currys.

Have to say I'm pretty pleased. With HD content the picture looks brilliant. Sky channels look good as well. Not done any specific colour tuning yet, sticking with the 'Cinema' picture mode at the moment.

Not used the onboard Freeview, the aerials in the house aren't very good.

Having a few issues playing DVDs through my amp to it, the picture blanks out every now and again, but believe that is due to my amps 1.1 HDMI sockets as its fine if the blu-ray is connected direct to the TV.

Guess I'll have to get a new amp as well :thumbsup:
  2. StevieMac

StevieMac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one myself to replace my aging LG 50PC56, which tbh still looks great but I wanted full 1080p as the old lG accepts 1080p but scales it down.

Sky HD looks great, xbox 360 looks great and so does the PS3!

Really slim bezel too. Only 2 HDMI, one on back and one on side, but I use my yamaha amp so I only need one anyway.

Has an ethernet connection but so far all I can see it is used for is to update the firmware?

Anyhow, I like it, was going to buy 2 and tried to haggle on the price, currys wouldn't budge an inch, not even a pound off lol but I had to try.

All in all a great TV for £549. :)
  3. dbbloke

dbbloke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been searching for ages to find out if the 50PV350T has a LAN port.
    Thanks for the great information, the manual also says this, but I can't actually get to a store to have a look myself.

Anyhow, not sure if you are aware but LG TV's run on Linux.
    So just need do a firmware dump and work out which chipset and load the relevant module / code to use the LAN port or probably enable all the other features from the other TV's. If Broadcom based then possibly just a flash away.
    In theory possible as the port is there :) Hoping as it's the cheapie, it goes the same way as the set it replaced - 50pk350.

Sorry in advance if I've broken any forum rules by linking.
    LG Hack Forum
    Wiki index - Openlgtv

Wondering what info is in the appropriate firmware chipset section in the menus?
  4. StevieMac

StevieMac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting! I'll look forward to see what can be done with this TV then. :)
  5. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    Ive just reserved this TV to collect tomorrow (with £22 off with Quidco).
    But cna anyone tell me how big the box is.
    Heigh and length would be useful.

Also, can anyone point me in the direciton of a decent wall mount ??

Cheers
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  6. Boggsy

Boggsy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Luckily I've still got the box.

It is 52"x32"X10".
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    Oh mate, thats brilliant. Thanks for that, now i can work out how many seats i need to take out.

LEGEND :)
  8. Boggsy

Boggsy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    No problem. Hope you enjoy it :)
  9. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    Cheers.
    Im not going to be using yet, i needed a large tv to hang on a wall to show my photos in my new studio. Therefore didnt want to spend loads on a plasma, and seeing as Quidco are doing the discount this weekend thought id go for it. It will be kept in storage for a bit until i need it.

:thumbsup:
  10. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    This is now up to £899 in my local Currys.
  11. StevieMac

StevieMac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, same on their website too.

Richer sounds still have it at £549 though.
  12. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    I put mine up today nad im very impressed, picture quality on image from iTunes is superb. One thing anouying though is the lack of headphone socket.
    Beacuase of this i want to link it up to my speakers i need to buy a DAC which means another power socket begin taken up.

Anyhoo, can someone do me another favour and have a look at the rear of the TV nad tell me which way up the HDMI socket is, as im not at my studio for a couple of days and need to buy a right angle HDMI adapter but not sure which one to buy

Is the long edge of the socket at the top or the bottom ?

Ta muchly.
  13. cardinalbaz

cardinalbaz Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Hiya,

I'm currently considering this TV but have seen some comments that the reflection is quite bad which concerns me a little as the room it'll go in has a large window and so quite a bright room are my concerns justified?

Thanks in advance.
  14. dbbloke

dbbloke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Reflection is annoying, I read it's supposed to have an AR filter? but more so is the image burn, BBC News on channel 80 in particular with their big red breaking headlines the only noticable thing after 20-30 minutes or so leaves a huge impression which screen wash for a minute fixed, small channel 5 logos etc. fine. Hoping it goes away after 1-2 months. Surprised not a better implementation of screen saver when no change detected in input.
    Blu-Ray really Amazing, perfect picture. Upscaling very good also. Lag... maybe an issue, still wondering if it's my AVR despite adjusting sync.

So.....
    Interesting news, was wondering about a FW update to see if I can aid a lip sync issue, but found this - PV35** seems to be Saturn 7 based.

I've a Himedia 600B myself so no immediate need to flash but probably netcast should be available soon and then it will be time to clench. Anyone feeling :suicide: or managed to do this already and if so, does it work straight off the network port?

OPENLGTV (Saturn 7)

According to this page, seems to get you:

Web browser user interface (embedded HTTP server on TV) for configuration and control
    Ethernet network support via USB to ethernet adapters(dongles)
    NFS client
    CIFS/Samba/Windows network shares client
    UPnP client
    Easy installation/update from EPK file (Saturn 6 only) like official LG firmware
    Scripts for customising startup and patching memory
    Easy modules configuration through Web UI
    Allows to backup configuration, firmware, virtually any file from your TV set to connected FAT16/32 USB drive
    Ability to run linux shell commands from web ui
    DHCP auto network configuration and network name resolving
    NTP client
    FTP server
    Telnet server
    Unicode support
  15. adam1516

adam1516 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have any of you guys had any problems with buzzing sounds with this TV?
  16. dbbloke

dbbloke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No buzzing at all for me, i thought this only affected Panasonics? Partly my choice for LG.

Only slight issue i have is screen burn, but it's temporary and fixable. otherwise perfect tv, huge, very good price, fantastic picture on bluray.

Do you have an LG 350t that buzzes then :(
  17. adam1516

adam1516 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol no I've not even bought one yet! Just doing some research before getting one. Is there anything I should know about regarding running it in?
  18. adam1516

adam1516 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, received TV on Monday (thanks Amazon for very quick delivery and price of £549.99). I will give a quick first impression, then a more detailed appraisal after a few weeks of use.

Looks and design - 9/10
    Picture quality - HD - 9/10, SD - 7/10
    Sound - 5/10 - sorry, sound is crap
    Ease of use - 7/10
    Value for money - 8/10

One big design flaw - both HDMI ports should be on the back. One is on the side - right next to the USB port. Guess what - my USB flash drive rubs and bends against the HDMI cable. So, I either have to take out the cable every time I want to use the flash drive - OR - purchase a HDMI signal box with an extra cable.

Why can't giant manufacturers like LG work out that you need a decent gap between ports? Gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
  19. sean4rock

sean4rock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love the TV, got it used off the Amazon Warehouse for £439, it's £539 for a new model off Amazon right now.
    One thing that bugs me, hoping someone knows how to fix this. I use the TV as a monitor, and so if I ever have a white page(facebook, google, reddit, this forum..., a new tab) on the TV, it darkens the White slightly to the point where it's nearly light-grey, how can I prevent this?
    I turned off power saving, which stopped dimming it a little bit, but not entirely.
  20. galloverde11

galloverde11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone tried to install an open FW? Is it possible to use ethernet port installing it?

Thanks
  21. Marco Speeds

Marco Speeds Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I also have one of these tv's have had it for a week now i am running a xbox 360 and sky hd, both with hdmi cables the hd picture is great but the xbox and normal tv looks terrible so any settings or calibration you think may help would be great thanks.
  22. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Hi folks,

A friend of mine had one of these delivered from amazon yesterday, I was helping him get set up last night and we couldnt find the correct code so his BT vision remote can control the power and volume - can anyone help please?

Thanks
  23. stellamandude

stellamandude Active Member

Ratings:
    +359
    Just picked up one of these as i couldn't turn it down at only £470 delivered :smashin:
    First time I've owned a plasma and I'd just like to make sure I get the best from it. I've swotted up as much as I can from various threads on this forum with regards to plasma ownership, but was just wondering if any one has any "tips" or "tricks" with regards to this set.
  24. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20

Where did you get it for £470 mate? - I had it up against the Panasonic TX-P50U30B in PC world and thought it was superior - although not the best demonstration environment ive been in.....:eek:

Ken

25. stellamandude

Ratings:
    +359
    PM sent ;)
  26. stellamandude

Ratings:
    +359
    Ken your inbox is full.
  27. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20

Sorry mate ive now deleted some emails!! - thanks for the links

I'm after a bigger warranty than a year so will do some more fishing :D

Ken
  28. Richardredh

Richardredh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't suppose you could PM me too could you mate I have been looking at this TV for a few weeks now!

Cheers
  29. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    PM sent mate :smashin:

Mine gets delivered tmoz due to a deal I simply could not miss :p

I just hope it can beat my trusty 13 year old Toshiba 33 inch 4:3 CRT :rolleyes:

Ken
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  30. stellamandude

Ratings:
    +359
    What deal did ya find Ken ?