1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 42LW5700 problems

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by deepakrn, May 16, 2011.

1. deepakrn

deepakrn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a recurring problem with 2 brand new sets of the 42LW5700 42" Cinema 3D SMART TV. The original TV started exhibiting "symptoms" about 3 days into ownership. I had it exchanged for another brand new set, and that's giving the same sort of problems 1 day into ownership.

Description of problem:

Intermittent. When TV is switched on (from standby mode), the interface is *very* laggy. When the volume on the remote control is triggered, it takes a few seconds (no exaggeration) for the annunciator graphic to appear on the TV screen. Volume up/down similarly takes a while for the graphic to update on screen. Picture on screen becomes "jittery". All controls slow down, and TV shortly turns itself off, then on again (sort of a reboot).

As mentioned, this is an intermittent problem. Often, after exhibiting these symptoms, when the TV is turned off (back to standby mode) and switched on again, no further issues result. Then they come back at a later time.

TV has been connected to the Net, and has updated itself immediately after installation. No further updates available at present. I don't know if the problem would have been present *before* the firmware update, since TV updated itself immediately after installation, and the problems manifested after that. In other words, it's difficult to tell if it's a hardware or firmware issue.

This has happened with 2 brand-new TV sets. I think I'm out of exchanges :(, but I don't know if there's any point, since this appears to be a batch-related issue.

:lease: Please advise.
  2. xaden

xaden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, where did you buy the tv from??
  3. deepakrn

deepakrn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response. I was going to reply "Singapore" - then I checked your member profile, and I realised you're from Sg too. :D

Suntec City - AudioHouse roadshow thing - for the original set. Set delivered to my house a few days after purchase. Then when I got the 1-for-1 exchange, the service techs came back to my place with a brand new set to replace it.

Do you have the same set? Any issues (touch wood)? Any option to buy an Extended Warranty - think it's worth it anyway, since the sets seem to be giving issues almost from day 1?
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. xaden

xaden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup i just bought the same set yesterday. It will be delivered tml! I was shocked to read your post regarding the issues. But will update you when i recieve my tv. Anyway how much you bought it? any freebies?:)
  5. deepakrn

deepakrn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1699 SGD - with free HD camcorder, HDMI cable on delivery. Wallmount done free (along with free disposal of old TV). Also free Wifi dongle, magic remote, and Despicable Me 3d bluray (2 discs in one set) which you have to redeem at Letrain (at the Verge in S'goon Rd). If you have that holographic ad for the Despicable Me redemption, bring it along, not sure if they give you the free movie without it.

I'm waiting to buy clip-on 3d shades, but not arrived yet (Letrain says June).

What deal did you get?

(Just to allay your concerns - it's a good TV and overall good experience. I can live with the occasional glitches and reboots, maybe a firmware update will correct it in the future).
  6. deepakrn

deepakrn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update: Well, noone seems to have posted a solution to this. At any rate, a firmware update (to 03.06.04, the latest available to Singapore users) seems to have sorted out the issues.

Just in case anyone else has similar issues, do the update.
  7. zlement

zlement Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i'm currently using tis TV too wif e latest firmware but when i go to website like Youtube or PPTV e video was unable to paly at all...

does ur TV have e same prob too?
  8. deepakrn

deepakrn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, YouTube vids play fine (before and after). Never went to PPTV.
  9. zlement

zlement Member

Ratings:
    +0

do u go to Youtube using e apps icon or using e web browser?

if i go to Youtube using e apps icon its able to play but throygh web browser its unable to play..
  10. deepakrn

deepakrn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Through the home menu icon.

Through normal browser, many flash-based sites cannot be played, including Youtube. The base OS is Linux (which variant, I don't know). Can't install the correct plugins - even if it could, where would the system store it? Never tried doing that with a writeable HDD attached - maybe that would work, I dunno.

So basically - same as you.
  11. zlement

zlement Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for clarifying..
  12. Jonathon280

Jonathon280 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    anyone have try switch on for 20-30 minutes, at the back panel is it adnormal burning hot?