Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED televisions - information about this fantastic, radically new technology

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Stuart Wright, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Giblets2

Giblets2 Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Aren't we missing the point here? I don't think anyone's really saying that LED backlit TVs are all bad - just as CCFL backlit TVs have better and worse models. The scandal is that shops and companies are claiming these are LED TVs - they're not!

When the real LED TVs such as OLED are bigger and cheaper (yes, they actually do exist right now, for the rich) what are the retailers going to call them? Real LED (sorry we were :censored: you before) TVs?! :facepalm:
  2. Nielo TM

Nielo TM Active Member

Ratings:
    +569
    I wouldn't use the word rich:laugh:
  3. Member 501176

Member 501176 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a shame that there is so much confusion around it all. Good work on trying to clear this up.
  4. Greynerd

Greynerd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many people are posting on the relative merits of LED and Fluorescent lit LCD TV's. This is not the subject of this thread. The problem is that suppliers and manufacturers were implying in 2009, and are still doing in 2011, that LED TVs do not use LCD technology.

A salesman in PC World categorically said to me that an LED edge lit TV did not use LCDs, he rushed off when I challenged him on this.

Here are direct cut and pastes from LG's blurb on their 42LE4500 TV -
    "LG LED TVs produce a sharper, more detailed picture with a superior contrast as well as an ultra slim design compared to LCD TVs."
    "LG LED TVs are also more energy efficient so you will save 40% of power consumption compared to LCD TVs saving you up to £100 per year".

These are nonsensical statements as the TV in question is an LCD TV. There is not a mention on the page that this is just a differently illuminated LCD TV and it also states that the pictures are sharper with LEDs - oh really? An interesting thing is that I could not complain to advertising standards about this as it is not specifically an advert, so it appears a company can put any toffee it wants on web pages.
    It is great for the manufacturers as they do not have to waste money developing true OLED TVs as most of the general public think that is what they are buying. I am sure they will will milk this as long as they can get away with it and of course in Britain this will be for ever.
  5. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    I'm not in the market for a new TV right now but when looking round our local megastore it seemed to me that almost all the LCDs were LED lit ones. Does this mean that CCFL set is now a thing of the past. Possibly the lower power consumption is attractive, but the ultra-thin design isn't;to me at least.
  6. soldierboy001

soldierboy001 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    At the begining of last year I decided after seeing my first LED/LCD TV that I must have one so I set out my parameters to myself and did the rounds of dealers and superstores. This took about 6 months primarily because 3 manufacturers promised release dates that never materialised in my time frame. This was a godsend to me as in the end I purchased a TV that I would not have considered if one of the manufacturers had matched his promise The TV I purchased is a Panasonic TX-L42D25E and I bought it because it has a brilliant picture,DVB-S & DVB-T, a CI slot and an SD card reader as well as looking good.
    Whilst looking not one sales person told me that any of the TV's I was looking at was an LED panel they were all upfront and said, as I compared, that they were either edge lit or back lit and or did I consider plasma. All the articles and websites also did not mislead me, so were are all these people that this Forum is all about residing?????
    The Panasonic may not be everybodies cup of tea but it sure as hell satisfies ME.
  7. talosian

talosian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    glad you found the best LED telly for you, my experience in Nov 2010 at leading local store chain is the (young) saleman told me the LED part of technology were the exact pinpoints of light that illuminates the pixels giving sharper more contrast lighting and the reductino in illuminative power meant the Samsung diverted the unused power to the audio to reproduce a 64 bit channel audio .. yes 64 bit. When I looked uncertain on the 64 bit he said it was a reproduction of 64 bit not realtime 64 bit. His words not mine!! LED TVs are less prone to damage in transit as LCD (yes i know) .. I wrote many letters to the store about his claims but never sent them, somehow i dont think he would be working there much longer.
  8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,850
    Its good to hear that some 16 months after LED lit LCD TV’s became a Hot Topic on AVForums some retailers are finally understanding what it is and what it isn’t and aren’t now miss-selling the technology.

Joe

PS Its Plasma TV’s that don’t travel too well – LCD (in all its lighting variants) are pretty robust!
  9. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    I overheard a salesman in a mega-store selling a Sony (?) TV to a couple with the line "If you can't find the remote controller there are some disguised buttons you can push on the TV to change the channels". Goodness me, whatever will they think of next!
  10. Elysiumfire

Elysiumfire Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, I began to read this thread hoping to pick up some knowledge on the present state of HD Tvs out there, but you can only read LED/LCD/PDP/CCFL, or whatever a few times and get quite tongue-tied and mind-tired. Surely, regardless of the technology, and the marketing techniques used to sell it, the ultimate reason for buying a TV is on picture quality and longevity? Those two issues are what I buy a TV for, and the ultimate reason for the existence of this forum is to root out which TVs offer the best picture quality and life length.

I use an 32" Samsung plasma for all my entertainment needs, as I have it hooked up to my computer. I am looking for an 37" 100HZ full HD 1080p, but I seem to be having trouble finding one, as manufacturers and retailers are pushing the so-called new advancements. My Samsung has been a great TV and computer monitor, Blu-ray looks brilliant on it, as does gaming. I just want something a little bit bigger, and to use a better refresh rate, such 75HZ.
  11. soldierboy001

soldierboy001 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Then if all that is that you want, look at the spec sheets and find what you want and forget about these geeks and nurds on this site and buy what you want.You won't find any common sense on this site just people showing off how stupid they are. A television is there to be enjoyed and is only radio with a picture. Just look at the ads. who can watch TV in the kitchen and cook a decent meal at the same time, who worries about the signal to noise ratio when whooing the latest catch from the disco, and if she is impressed how far into your wallet will she be tomorrow.
    Get real, I had this with HiFi, all these people who wanted perfect sound. Go to any concert and listen to the perfect sound of coughing and spluttering and shouting and jeering and then listen to it from your HiFi is it there? No very nice to listen too but not the real thing I was told to look for.
    Go out there and find what is best for you, more than 80% of the population ain't got a clue and sit in front of there £1000 TV and tell their workmates the next day " absolutelly fantastic in LED super Dolby surround sound with HD realism" Even though they haven't got an HDMI cable connected. Sorry if the spelling/punctuation etc. is incorrect but I did not do English at school but I sure as hell know what a good picture looks like.
  12. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    That's probably amongst the most sensible advice I've heard.

Too many people are being bamboozled by tech talk that's next to meaningless when it comes to TV's! Nobody actually watches TV with a meter in their hand, so what's the point in using a meter rate it? If your eyes think a picture is good enough! that's the one to go for.

The last point regarding folk bragging about their mega-bucks TV's being the best, but not knowing what the best actually is! reminds me of a customer upgrade to HD I did for the 2006 world cup when I used to install cable ...the client had a 3 month old £3000 B+O (with "motorised stand" don't you know) that she was very proud of, but when I told her she wouldn't be able to have HD pictures because there was nowhere to connect the HDMI or Component leads required. She was raging ..she called the shop and said they told her that "because the TV has a high definition (625 line) screen, it displayed everything to a higher than standard quality and didn't need an HDMI or Component feed" ...so she wanted it installed anyway! :rolleyes:

I fitted the new HD box, connected it using a scart lead, got my signature and left.. Sometimes the sales rep can't be blamed for taking advantage of a given situation - that's their job! and sometimes customers are ignorant ..even when given the facts. :cool:
  13. ian_w

ian_w Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I was one who thought that LED was better than LCD -or that is what all the websites claim.

For me, I am looking for a monitor and I thought all the websites claim that LED is much cheaper to run.

Is this not the case?

Mine is going to be on for 16 hours a day, and to be honest would rather have a cheaper electricity bill if possible - so is LED the way to go?

I am only talking about a 21inch screen here - so what would you do in my shoes?

Thanks.
  14. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    In general, LED lit can be upwards of 50% more energy efficient than CCFL lit! but that very much depends on the manufacturers implementation and user settings.

you might want to start another thread if you need more details.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  15. Nielo TM

Nielo TM Active Member

Ratings:
    +569
    LED based LCDs are cheaper to run, but you won't be saving large amount of cash during its lifetime. You're likely to save about 10-20 watts, which is nothing.

You're much better off buying a monitor optimal for your need (instead of worrying about electric bills or the backlight mode).

For an example, IPS panels are excellent for prolonged PC use as it is much easier on the eye than TN panels. The Dell U2311H for an example is an e-IPS based monitor and it only consumes 25-30W

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/del...1-49-delivered-using-voucher-code-dell/905435

All this LED talk is just marketing hype some people buy into. What they are forgetting is the quality of LCD and the processor are more important than the backlight.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  16. alsablo

alsablo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I'd have to disagree that this site is full of people showing off how stupid they are, a bit harsh!
    I've found it extremely valuable to talk here over the last week or so. Having certain things explained by an impartial person, has been priceless for me.
    These, geeks and nerds are giving their time to help, because they enjoy helping and chatting with others.
    Geeks and nerds are the ones that create our technology in the first place. They're alright by me.
  17. BlAdEAnGeL

BlAdEAnGeL Member

Ratings:
    +4
    When I was looking at the "LED" TV, I went to the manufacturers website and they do say LCD with LED backlit technology or something to that effect. I did catch a salesmen when he presented this TV stating it is "LED" TV...Latest technology...blah, blah, blah... but got all twisted up lump:suicide: when I pointed out he is wrong describing this as a 'LED' when all the TV's in the shop were in fact LED backlit and not proper LED.:rotfl: Well but it's LED.... NO IT'S NOT AND YOU SHOULD NOT BE STATING THIS AS IT IS WRONG. (sorry for the caps). Luckily there was few people looking at same type of TV's and heard me so hopefully they wouldn't be misinformed.:)
  18. alsablo

alsablo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Terrible isn't it. Just before I ordered my new TV, I had a guy in PC world telling me with certainty that a certain SONY tv I had been looking at DID come with Wireless internet built into it.
    I happened to know for a fact (i'd been looking at it for days.) that it didn't, that it needed the purchase of wireless adaptor to use the wireless ability, and even when i told him this, he still kept trying to tell me it did have it built in.
    They'll say anything to get the sale and then, after that they don't have to care what happens.
    Which is why, as I said above, that this place is valuable. To go into a store armed with a few facts about the technology is a great help.
  19. BlAdEAnGeL

BlAdEAnGeL Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree, most of them work on commission so need to shift loads to make good money, this drives them to say anything just to sell items, rest is just dumb usually due to poor/bad or lack of training by company.
  20. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,850
    The clock is ticking on this one... how long before it disappears :D

Joe
  21. BlAdEAnGeL

BlAdEAnGeL Member

Ratings:
    +4
    TIK TOK
    TIK TOK
    TIK TOK
    :rotfl:
  22. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,850
    Mods must be on holiday today :laugh:

Wonder what we can try:smashin:

Joe
  23. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,980
    Now gone :D
  24. BlAdEAnGeL

BlAdEAnGeL Member

Ratings:
    +4
    :devil::lesson::smashin::clap:
  25. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +722
    Sure this has been asked but why don't manufactures put strips
    of leds along the back of the tv but without the local dimming feature.

Making for a more uniform picture no light bleeding and minimal clouding.
    They could still be extremely thin we have seen this with lg full led.

Is it just a cost thing?

Who has implemented edge led the best so far(can i ask this?)
    As i keep hearing bad things about one manufacturer in particular.
  26. PhilipL

PhilipL Active Member

Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

Simple, fashion.

Everyone wants super slim TVs. Without local dimming LEDs placed behind the panel there is little advantage over CCFL but it would be more expensive. LEDs might use a little less power, but the average consumer would take one look at the thickness of a back lit LED TV and then move onto the slimmer edge lit ones. Edge lit LED TVs are all about making our perfectly good backlit CCFL TVs look old fashioned and dated driving us to spend more money. Long gone are the days when you kept a TV for 20 years or more :) 3D TVs is just the latest way to get us to replace perfectly good TVs.

Regards

Phil
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  27. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +722
    Thank you PhilipL

Its getting really frustrating now as ccfl are getting thin on
    the ground and as my tv is in a corner i am not bothered about
    a couple of centimetres at the cost of a uniform picture.

with plasma not an option for me and manufactures making ccfl models
    very low end in the range even though in most cases they perform
    better than the high end led lit models. This is getting silly tbh :(

Thanks Aaron
  28. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    I've decided; this thread is a meeting place for sceptics and dinosaurs.

I've had my edge-lit LED for 6 months, and it improves on my 2x more expensive 6 year old CCFL in just about every aspect except audio - and even that's good enough to satisfy my hyper-critical ears! not only that, it's also an improvement on the 3 year old Viera in my Son's room.

Too many are writing off LED before they've given the tech a chance! 20 year old Cathode Ray TV's are just that ..a thing of the past! If you still yearn for one they can be picked up at bargain prices.

I'll bet the same people said the same thing about CCFL when it first became available. :facepalm:
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  29. PhilipL

PhilipL Active Member

Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

The improvements you are seeing are more likely down to improvements in the panel itself between your older and newer TV and not the back lighting method.

Regards

Phil
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +722
    Stop trolling and being rude Strawbs

I am considering edge led but only because my hand is being forced as
    ccfl sets are being deprived of features.

Infact im currently looking at a panasonic 42e30 which is led edge lit
    well actually bottom lit but its not the reason im looking at it.

I was also looking through the samsung led tread but people are having lots of problems with it and im not sure i can be bothered with the hassle when
    ccfl lcd generally just work and work well.

The ccfl samsungs have been out performing edge lit lcds for a few years now
    is that progress Strawbs?

If you love your edge lit tv so much why don't you go and enjoy it
    and do everyone a favour? Instead of keep coming on here and insulting people who question you precious tv?

Btw im no dinosaur im 19 and love my samsung lcd with ccfl backlight :)