Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED Spot Lights and X10

Discussion in 'Home Automation, Lighting, Security & Climate' started by ianos77, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ianos77

ianos77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    HI all,
    I have installed marmitek x10 LD11 modules in my house and everything is working as it should. The only problem is my LED spotlights. Everytime i switch them off the LEDs are flashing constantly. Any help????
    P.S i also used the AD10 switch modules but again the same results.
    Thank you
  2. Mikey601

Mikey601 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Do they flash for a while then slowly dim out to being off or just constatntly flash?

Some things you need to check are:

what type of led they are 12v, 24v, mA?

Are you using the correct dimmable driver if ones needed?

Are you dimming straight from the mains?

Also are you running it all within trunking or very close proximity to mains wires?

Oh and one more thing, cheap drivers can hold residule power when dimmed and then turned off make sure you are using a good, compatible, dimmable driver
  3. ianos77

ianos77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They dont stop flashing.
    I use 240V, 2W LEDs osram brand.
    I go from the mains mcb to the dimmer module and to the light and switch.
    I also used x10 switch module that does not dim with the same result.
    ALSO VERY IMPORTANT is that if i place a standard bulb on this circuit ALONG with the LED then everything work ok
    The dimmer module is X10 LD11.
    [​IMG]
  4. Mikey601

Mikey601 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    • When wires run too close to one another, some weird behavior can occur. It seems it does not happen if the length of the wiring is less than about 10 meters. Above that, X-10 recommends separating the wires.
    • Where it is impossible to separate the wires, a mains relay at the module may fix the problem.
    Taken from an x10 snippett

The only occurrance ive had to advise on similar to your case, are either mains wires running too closesly together or too much power being fed.

It seems when adding a bulb reducing signal strength the problems stop. Id look more into the drivers loads.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  5. vex

vex Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    It is all to do with current leakage.

The LED work on such low current that they will gain enough power for them to light, a bit like a capacitor in a circuit.

I have had it on dimmerable 230v circuits that when off with a standard bulb they are off, but swapped to an LED they are either on, or flash.

The only way to cure it is either increase the load on the circuit, or get a proper switch that has no leakage. Could you use the switch you have to drive a 230v relay giving you a good clean on / off?

V.
  6. ianos77

ianos77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all fo your replies,
    I think ill go for the relay to cut off power.
    Thanks again all of you.