Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Least picky standmounts for under £700

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Richy1984, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Evening all,

I've not had my Monitor Audio RX1s for long but I'm still struggling to quite get the sound I want! This is due to the rear port. I've played about as much as I can with positioning, with bungs in they sound tight but the soundtage is limited, with bungs out they sound great with 50% of music, but can sound muddy with a more repetative bassline.

What would you say are the best front ported speakers for under £700??? Not sure if I should get some different speakers! or get the best out of these that I can, and wait until I can have my hifi in a better room, then upgrade to some PMCs perhaps.

I currently use a Marantz PM/CD6004 combo.

Richy
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. Dav1dF

Dav1dF Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,508
    It might be worth trying the KEF Q300's. They match up well with the Marantz combo, and KEF use them to demo the Q's at shows. They're front ported too, so should be easier to place.
  3. jason1wood

jason1wood Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Hi mate I'm no expert but I've heard speakers need some running in time to get the best from them. Have you considered this?
  4. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Jason, I've run them in. 10hrs a day for over a week, then 2-3hrs per day since then.

Dav1d - I have been considfering the Q300s. Are there any others you'd reccomend that are front ported??

I'd love a set of PMCs but they're way out of my price range! lol
  5. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Not much off the top of my head....
  6. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    OK. Do you, or anyone else you can think of allow home demo's of the KEFs?
  7. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Your local deal would be the best place to start :)
  8. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    well I've always deal't with sevenoaks in the past, but didnt think they allowed home demos?

Its just so annoying I cant get the RX1s to work well!!.

- One speaker is in a corner and I've repositioned it to give 10" space directly behind the port, whilst the other speaker has about 7" behind, but they are too bassy / muddy with some music.
    - I've readjusted the spikes on my stands to get them as solid as possible (carpet isnt quite level so had to screw in a few spikes more so than others). I've mass filled the stands.
    - I upgraded the cables to chord carnival silverscreen speaker cable and chord chrimson plus interconnect
    - I've also experimented with the port bungs as I say.

With Monitor Audio BX2s in the same position I had no problem, and they are front ported so I assume its the rear port with the RX1s thats giving me the issue.
  9. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,100
    I would have a look for some secondhand PMC speakers on here or maybe ebay. You often see the DB and TB speakers for within your budget so would be a good option.
  10. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Would I not need to be upgrading my cd player / amp (cd/pm6004) to run those though? and are they not rear ported?
  11. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,100
    PMC speakers use a ATL (transmission line) and are not ported. This makes them a lot easier to place and are not too fussy about being near a wall (my GB and DBs are basically in the corners of my room and sound fine). They are also very easy to drive so although they will give more with better amplification they will still sound good with your current CD player and amp. When I first got mine I was using a Cambridge Audio 540R receiver and they sounded good, I then got an Arcam 350 and they now sound amasing. They are not like some higher end speaker models which are hard to drive that need very good amplification to just sound OK.
  12. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Fair enough! :)

I'll look out for some incase they take my fancy. My only issue with PMCs in general is their styling! Its hardly exciting! lol So I think I'd struggle to get them past the misses!
  13. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,100
    PMC may not be the fanciest looking but they do the important stuff very well i.e. the sound.
  14. tokyo_blues

tokyo_blues Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Monitor Audio Speakers are spectacular provided you really take the time to play with positioning. I've had the same problems you describe with my pair of Gold GS10..I moved them around a bit but no luck..I kept getting 50% awesome bass and 50% boomy bass depending on the track.

Then I took a really radical approach to the problem and I completely changed the room layout. Mine is a rectangular room and the speakers now sit on the shorter dimension firing across the longer one. The bass is simply perfect now.

Here's why: they are not 10'' or 7'' away from the back wall...They are 2meters from the back wall! You'll need much more than that to let the bass work. Also the left speaker is 50cm from the side wall, the right one about 1.5m.

Before you waste money on something that might disappoint you again I'd suggest really experimenting with positioning if you can!
  15. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Believe me I have, and other than completely re-organising the lounge (which just isnt possible), I dont really have much choice.

If I do change speakers I'm going to get a home demo of them beforehand. Going to try and demo the KEF Q100 & Q300s this weekend.
  16. pompeydean

pompeydean Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Hi richy,
    I was chatting with you about these on another of your posts. Are you still thinking of moving your denon avr into the lounge? Reason I ask is that you might find the sound changes / improves with a different receiver. I've heard that the pm6004 suits the kef's better than the ma's, plus I have mine running with my denon and i'm really happy (for now :devil: )! May be worth bringing the denon down and experimenting that way?
    If you are set on a change, then my second choice when I demo'd was the Q300's - although I've not had the chance to hear any pmc's.
  17. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Cheers for the advice.

When I heard the RX1s with the Marantz at the store they said they were a pretty good match and I liked what I heard. Although tbh I didnt try a Denon, only the Yamaha AS500. Plus I probably didnt demo them as long as I should. They were a fair bit better than my BX2s, i got a good deal and they look good so I went for it.

I knew teh rear port may be an issue but didnt think i wouldnt be able to find a way around it.

I wont be moving the Denon into the lounge for a couple of years (when we have the space for 5.1), so for now I'm concentrating on HiFi.

In an ideal world in a few years time, i'll get the MA Gold Series or some PMCs and set them up with a solid amp so they sound at their best. But for now I just want something thats enjoyable and engaging to listen too with the music I enjoy and a bit better than an all in one or real budget level HiFi.

Anyhow, I got in touch with Sevenoaks and they're giving me a demo pair of Q300s and Q100s for the weekend to try. I'll report back! haha
  18. pompeydean

pompeydean Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Good effort, at least you'll be able to make a proper comparison in your own environment. Good luck
  19. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Well, I've got the KEF Q300s on home demo for the weekend to compare to my RX1s and so far with the majority of music they are winning.

They are far less fussy about placement. I have them 6-8" from rear walls and the bass is tight, no muddyness of the midrange like I was getting with the RX1s. Vocals are sharper with the KEFs and the soundstage is bigger. Well they are much bigger speakers so I suppose it should be be. I think I could actually get away without a sub with them as although the bass seems reduced, they actually go deeper.

Separation of notes is what I was looking for and thats what I've got with the KEFs. The only thing they dont match up to the RX1s with is Jazz music. The treble of the KEFs is probly brighter, but just seems less full and not quite as rich and muscial. I'd say the RX1s are a warmer speaker, whereas the KEFs are more precise. Which is what I was after.

Anyway, not to put the RX1s down as they are great speakers, with the port bungs in they are tight too, but just lack a biut of oumpth! I bet however if I could get both side by side with sufficient space behind and from rear walls, the RX1s wouldnt far behind the KEFs, if not equal or even slightly better depernding on what you prefer.

For now though in my room, the KEFs are my winner. However I have one more contender as I waqs contacted by SD Audio during the week and I have a pair of their BS1s to try out too. I'll report back as to how they compare to the KEFs. For what I'm looking for (precision and clarity without overpowering bass) I think they may be very good.

Richy
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  20. pompeydean

pompeydean Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I think it sounds like the kef's are better suited to you room, being front ported has made them sound more like what you're after, and I reckon they're probably a better match for the marantz amp as well. Again, a lot really depends on what you're happy with, everyone has a slightly different perception on what the 'best sound' sounds like!
    I've never heard of sd audio, but the speakers don't look too bad for the money, the ribbon tweeter is a nice addition. Be interesting to see how they compare.
  21. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Yeah I'm looking forward to hearing the ribbon tweeter as I've never owned speakers with ribbons.

If I keep the KEFs I reckon I could do without a sub for music, and in which case I'd have the money to upgrade the amp.

I think the BS1s will need a sub though, so I'll have to see which speaker I prefer :)

The only other comparable speaker I havent tried is the B&W 685, but they're too deep for where my stands are, and I dont like the look of the yellow driver!
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  22. pompeydean

pompeydean Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I demo'd the 685 in my local sevenoaks, but didn't like them as much as the kef's or the ma's, even though when I went in there I was 90% sure that the b&w's were all I wanted!
    Good luck making your decision!!!
  23. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    cheers.

Well I'm glad I've gone down the home demo route now anyway. I rather rushed into purchasing the RX1s.

Been listening to the KEF Q300s all day now, the only thing I think that lets them down a bit is the slightly thin treble. Although I hear that they open up quite a bit when bi-wired; much more than most speakers.
  24. GW43

GW43 Member

Ratings:
    +141
    You mention spiking the speaker stands earlier in the thread. What you haven't mentioned is what you are spiking into.

Generally (and not every case is going to be identical) I would recommend spiking through to a solid floor, but if you have a wooden "floating" floor you need to isolate your speakers by having something like a granite tile between your spikes and the carpet, so the speaker stand is isolated from the floating floor by the carpet.

I first came across this issue with MA Gold GR10. I have wooden floors (i.e not solid) with carpet. What I reckoned was the floor was resonating in sympathy with the bass, muddying the sound. I experimented first of all with wooden chopping boards between the spikes and the carpet, and the sound was cleaned up no-end. The floor was no longer joining in!

If you have solid floors, then you couple the speakers to the floor with the spikes.

Worth a go if you have a floating floor.
  25. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Its a ground floor, quite modern. Under the carpet is the concrete floor. So I assume the spikes go through the carpet and rest on the concrete.

However, there is a thin layer of soft insulation under the carpet that perhaps the spikes are not fully getting through.

What would you reccomend?
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  26. dogfonos

dogfonos Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Lots of good advice here about stands and room positioning. One final thing you could try...

Years ago I used a two-way stand mount ported speaker in a room that was a bit too small for it so I also suffered some slack bass at times. I tried blocking off the port but it seemed to change the bass frequency response too much and also resulted in a more restricted, less open sound.

The cure? Stuff a handful of drinking straws tightly into the port (I used smooth polypropylene ones). The effect was to clarify and slightly reduce bass level with no discernable impact on the midrange.

If you try this (what's to loose?), take care to cut the straws to port length so when flush with the port front, there's no excess length sticking out inside because this leads to an occasional 'buzz'. And don't allow any straws to fall back into the speaker. Use tweezers to remove the straws from the port if you need to.
  27. GW43

GW43 Member

Ratings:
    +141
    I'd try chopping boards/mdf/tiles etc. under the spikes but on top of the carpet to see if it makes a difference.
  28. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Ok. Well I'd be scared to death to try the straws idea, however I may give the idea of popping something solid underneath the spikes.

I've checked and the stands are pretty solid though so I dont think this is the cause. KEF Q300s sound pretty tight on them
  29. pwood

pwood Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Are you biwiring your speakers? If you are then dont its a waste of cable and confuses the image in my experience. I have RX6 speakers and it makes a massive difference reverting to single wire even of same quality (I used Linn K400 biwire and reconfigured it until I decided single was best then got Sterling Black Mambas) quality for years I thought I should be biwiring even biamped using my Onkyo 875 but neither produces the solid depth of image as my current single wired setup. I am still using the MA jumper bars as I find them to be pretty good but a quality set of jumper cables will no doubt add a bit extra. When trying single wiring try putting the cable into the top and bottom pairs as there can be a subtle difference. AMP OFF WHEN CHANGING THINGS :lesson:

I found the RX1 to be great image wise and well balanced. Your stands are they filled up try taking the filling out. Might be an idea to see if a dealer will lend you some different stands to try they can make a massive difference.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  30. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +251
    another thing to try...and i'd never heard it before until a guy in the shop told me the other day (during a demo of some Rx6's)

.....the two pairs of binding posts at the back of the speaker.....according to him the best way to plug your speaker cable in was one + in the bottom pair and one - in the top pair....more of a neutral sound apparantly

he told me one pair...i think it was the bottom pair was more bass ...and the top pair was more mid range

....speakers binding post still linked i think

....as i said before someone shoots the messager...just something i was told

for the record i tried it on my kefs and i cant say i noticed any difference

cheers