1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV with USB recording facility at Tesco

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by m.stephens, Sep 2, 2009.

1. m.stephens

m.stephens Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I saw these in stock at Tesco's the other day. Basically a 19" TV which can record/pause live TV using a USB memory stick. Only a single tuner so not exactly brilliant (if you are watching TV you could only record the same channel - although presumably you could get round this by plugging a cheap STB into the scart socket)

The really interesting bit is that it will also record to a USB external hard disk. Has anyone bought one of these TVs and does it get round the longstanding "normal" PVR problem of not being easily able to archive stuff to a PC - or does it still require the disk to be a non-standard format onto which it sticks non-standard files ?
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,067
    Not seen one of these but I have seen a freeview stb with similar. PVR ready Free To Air satelitte stbs have had this capability for years. They all work by simply recording the already digital output tuner output (mpeg2 576i the same as on a DVD) to a storage device. Apart from the non standard headers used by some pvrs they all produce standard transmission stream files viewable on any PC and readily convertible to dvd. The disc format is likely to be FAT32 which limits any file to a max of 4Gb which would be problematical for a long film recorded from a high bitrate channel. Some can get over this by creating multiple files which can be stitched together on a PC with NTFS volumes. The main disadvantage is that presimably you have to watch what you are recording, a problem the freeview stb gets over as you can record from this and still watch the freeview tuner in your telly (If you have one :D)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. m.stephens

m.stephens Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I wasn't really planning on buying one. More watching to see how the technology is going. I already have a PVR (Vestel T810 inside) which records to a standard IDE HD but uses a format which needs Linux to mount and also would require the files to be identified and then doctored to be playable with most PC video playing software - and all that still needs you to open up the case and disconnect the IDE drive then reconnect to a PC running Linux etc etc.

I'm interested in how close we are getting to a cheap PVR where you can easily (and quickly) archive off stuff in a format accessible by the likes of Windows Media Player - and possibly reload stuff which wasn't recorded off the box but has been converted to a format the PVR understands e.g. DVDs.

This TV looks a step closer than what I've seen previously.
  4. mattrixdesign2

mattrixdesign2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I saw a TV using a similar (same?) method advertised in Saturdays paper, I think it was Currys, 19in in built DVD/Freeview and recording to memory stick or drive! All for about £150! Interesting idea for a cheapo TV.

I wouldn't like to rely on it, but interesting devlopment, as we could be buying decent TVs in the future and just plugging in a memory stick/HD, would this not dessimate the PVR industry?

I would like to see comments from people using this TV???
  5. Geofbob

Geofbob Member

Ratings:
    +312
    It would only decimate [spelling] the PVR industry for those people who see almost everything in terms of the PC - it would be irrelevant for most PVR users. Think of it the other way round - had the memory stick development come first, wouldn't the invention of the PVR have severely dented the memory stick industry?
  6. mattrixdesign2

Ratings:
    +504
    Hi

I am not sure what you mean by this "people who see almost everything in terms of the PC"...?

If TVs could have PVR functionality added to the software, along with easy expandability (via USB or memory card), I presume it would be reasonably cheap to implement (if its showing in cheap low end TVs), then would it not be possible that the stand alone PVR could become obsolete?

FYI - I do use PVRs, had a Humax and currently use Play TV, and have also had V+.
  7. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,175
    The problems and issues are not technical at all, but reside more in what the industrial participants will permit.

By 'industrial participants' I mean broadcasters, content producers, and hardware manufacturers. [ There is blurring between the last two ]
    Official regulatory bodies are also involved.

This a path they actively do not want to go down - and so it does not happen.
    It's left to some of the more renegade states on the margins to produce this sort of thing, but increasingly in order to survive themselves, they have to join in with the various world-wide trade agreements and play the game by the rules of those bodies.

In short, do not expect to see any major development of this form of content access or shiftability.
  8. jono t

jono t Member

Ratings:
    +107
    I read an artical in a mag that the new format for blu ray movies would be SD memory card, would this not then make bluray players obsolete, when you could just put it in to the SD slot on your tv.
  9. mattrixdesign2

Ratings:
    +504
    I see what you are saying! That would explain the "lesser" Chinese brands having this function.

I was also going to add to my previous statement that the manufacturers themselves would not like to "destroy" their own stand alone PVR business.
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,067
    The format used for SD cards is different to normal bluray. It's designed for HD video recorders using a system called AVCHD. AVCHD can be burnt in HD to normal DVD's and replayed with a bluray or PC from these in full HD. The format does not support the advanced features of bluray
  11. Geofbob

Geofbob Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I mentioned the PC, because earlier in the thread there were a couple of references to using the memory stick for viewing recordings on a PC, and it seemed as though this was the main attraction of this development.

What you are looking forward to is tantamount to a TV with built-in PVR. But I believe that there are some of these already, and so far they have not made the stand-alone PVR obsolete.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. jono t

jono t Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Is it possible in the near future they could use solid state in pvrs, I see they have started using solid state in some types of laptops.
  13. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,175
    I would have thought that is very unlikely, mostly due to the cost consideration ... but also the limitation of the number of write/ rewrite cycles with the type of solid state memory used in SSD's
  14. Caravanner

Caravanner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We wanted a light TV/PVR to replace our old TV plus single tuner Panasonic DVD recorder for use in our caravan and came across the Tesco TV with USB recording. Its great. It's compact, light, has a good picture and the PVR does everything that the Panasonic recorder does - timeshift, instant recording, watch a recorded programme while recording something else. The EPG is excellent and very user friendly. The remote handset in parts is almost illegible, the buttons are not always intuitive, and the response time can be a bit slow. The supplied 4GB USB stick can only record 2 hours. We can live with these niggles and as a basic TV plus recording system this is a brilliant product.
  15. Tx1oss

Tx1oss Member

Ratings:
    +2
    What model did you get and can you watch the recordings on a pc via the usb stick.
    Thanks
  16. Caravanner

Caravanner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The TV is a Technika model LCD19-910. I put the USB disk on my PC. There is a directory called DVR with sub-directories called RECS, RECSINFO and STORAGE. A one-hour recording created one 1GB .TS file and one 0.35GB .TS file in the RECSINFO directory. My PC won’t play a .TS file (doesn’t bother me as I don’t want to play any recorded stuff on my PC) – you may know how to play .TS files.
  17. Tx1oss

Tx1oss Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I've just bought a 19" model as well after I read your review, You can download for free a Ts media player and the quality on your pc will be excellent. I probably expected too much when I thought it might have recorded onto Usb my Sky+ progams or even from analogue tv. I do agree the remote is a pile of poo as the symbols are almost unreadable.
    Ossie :)
  18. mike6

mike6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too bought one of these. It's good value for money. The 4g memory stick which came with it records fine. However other sticks don't--a Bytestore 16g is the best I've found to date. Can anybody recommend a 64g stick which will definitely work?
    Thanks.
  19. NEAMAC

NEAMAC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking about buying a Technika Tv with the USB record facility, can you pause and rewind live TV? I currently have BT vision on another TV and like the ability to pause live TV and record. I have been to Currys and looked at an Evotel TV which has USB input but the salesman didn't know about pausing live TV - he had never heard of this using USB!!!:confused:
    Any help on either TV would be good!!:lease:
  20. nvingo

nvingo Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    Presence of a USB socket doesn't imply USB recording.
    Some TV and TV/DVD combis can play back media already stored on USB or SD memory, but not record from the digital tuner to memory. Check the specifications carefully if that is your requirement.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. bjargent

bjargent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 19" Technika with USB recording to USB stick. It will also record to Western Digital 500GD hard drive. Very pleased with it. So much so, today, bought the same but 32" (No DVD player built in though).
    I will transfer files to my Disgo and play through TV on ship. (I am on a laid up container ship)
  22. bjargent

bjargent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try Western Digital 500Gb hard drive.
  23. pete eyre

pete eyre Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I've used a 160Gb USB external hard disk (about £30). These MUST be format to FAT32 and be SATA type (most of them are ) just avoid IDE -USB types. The USB hard drives work directly from the USB power supply and are more than fast enough( by a factor of at least 10 times). They work straight away the TV recognises them and creates it's PVR folder and you can record or time delay straight away. The Hard drive will also plug into a PC USB for other uses. A win win situation. I find a lot of USB memory sticks don't always fully work especially with time delay were the data is being recorded and read rapidly.
    pete :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. bjargent

bjargent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a hard drive which is not Fat32,:thumbsup: to record via USB, you can format it to Fat32 using shareware Swissknife.
  25. Gazwud

Gazwud Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys, Interesting thread, has anyone any experience of the 26" version

Technika 26" HD ready LCD TV with USB record - Tesco.Direct

Anyone know of the vesa mounting for this model, TESCO website not very explicit and not instore.

Is there a definitive conclusion regarding External USB storage for these models, USB hard disc IDE/SATA, max capacity usb sticks?

TIA
  26. Chubby Checker

Chubby Checker Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I was looking at this. I have an archos av700tv which records in .ts format, Would I be right in thinking I could hook it up through the USB and record shows straight to it and playback on the archos ?... I think it would (unless theres different kinds of .ts files (all these different file types does my head in)...anyone ose this setup already ?
  27. bjargent

bjargent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the Archos AV700TV (Two in fact, one does not pick up freeview anymore). I record movies from Sky and they go into "Planner" I then transfer them to the Archos. When the Archos is full (30GB) I transfer them to a Western Digital 500GB USB hard drive, then play pack through a Western Digital Media Player Western Digital TV HD 1080P Media Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

What I would like to do, is set up the Archos to record from Sky using the scheduler, but can't seem to get it to do that.

I am on ships for half the year and need films on an easy to carry system.
  28. jakers94

jakers94 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    can you record from inputs like scart and hdmi?
    i need a new tv and was also hoping to get a pvr to record me on my xbox and ps3.
    a reply soon would be great, thanks :D
  29. bjargent

bjargent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, you can only record from the internal freeview.
  30. vassey

vassey Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ive had both series of the USB record Tv's from Tesco. Both pants.
    The first, the 19" model seemed fine, until the aerial connection broke internally, picking up any movement in the room and breaking up the signal.

They replaced it with the new 22" model, including DVD, which isnt a 16x9 panel, and I have yet to get it to record a whole program. It cuts out whenever it likes, often within 10 minutes of the show starting. The EPG misses out data, and the recorded show list gives the EPG details for the previous show, the one before the recorded one. Nice idea but if only someone other than TESCO sold them!