Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptops from tesco?!

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Liam_G, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Liam_G

Liam_G Member

Ratings:
    +31
    anyone bought any acer laptops from there recently?
  2. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi Liam,

Not bought one from Tesco, but:

1) Generally, buying a laptop from a supermarket is not a good idea, unless you really know what machine you are getting, are computer-tech savvy (so if it goes wrong, you can fix it), and you aren't worried about any kind of back-up support or other help. Basically, only buy if you are comfortable having absolutely no one to help you out, if anything goes wrong! Don't forget also, that if the supermarket sells-out of that model, they are unlikely to be able to help you get it repaired or replaced, without extreme hassle and stress on your part!

2) Acer, however, are a reasonably good make of laptop. Not the best, but not the worst either. I own an Acer, and it's been great. :)

Personally-speaking, I'd only buy a laptop from somewhere that knows what it's actually selling, and has some kind of backup support service. Tesco's, Sainsbury's and the like are not the wisest places to buy these kinds of items from. :lesson:

Pooch
  3. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,754
    No but I got my last 2 Acer laptops online...
  4. Sonic67

Sonic67 Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,710
    I bought a Medion 1210 (It's a rebadged MSI Wind) from Sainsburys. As long as you know about PCs it should be okay.
  5. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,411
    In general Acer laptops are pretty good. Note down the model number next time and have a look at the specs online.
  6. Liam_G

Liam_G Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Ive bought an acer aspire 5535, 1st one i got kept crashing n going to almost like a stand by mode without warning and would never come back on, took it back got a replacement and now the 2nd one is doing the same, it seems to happen after about 10-15mins and theres no warning its gonna go off it just crashes and goes to a blank screen but the power is still on!

However though if i put it into hibernate and back on again it seems to work just fine? Just wondered if anybody else who has bought the same model from tesco is having the same problems and shall i take it back and get a refund??
  7. nvingo

nvingo Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    I bought a Fujitsu Siemens laptop from Tesco about four months ago, no problems with it so far.....

The big issue with any computer is determining that a fault is in the hardware or software, hardware side and the retailer electrical items support line should diagnose that and arrange a warranty fix, software is very much dependant on what is installed and how it is used.
    On the software side, surely it isn't too much to expect free lifetime antivirus instead of a three-month trial followed by update-your-licence pop-ups. First thing I do is install AVG8-Free.
  8. sore napper

sore napper Active Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Picked up 2 Acer Laptops from Tescos a few years ago. Both Travel Mates, one was the 2420 and I can't mind what the other one was as it was for my father.

The 2420 is what I use and abuse. It tends to over heat and can no longer be set flat on a table or it over heats and freezes. The battery died on the other one and needs to be plugged in all the time.

Don't know if I would buy from Tesco or Acer again, its just odd that both laptops developed problems.

Other than those problems, they both run well and never have had any other problems.
  9. Liam_G

Liam_G Member

Ratings:
    +31
    I wonder if anybody else is having the same problems on the same model, I work in the tesco on nights you see and i know theyve sold around 5 of these,Surely my luck cant be that bad in picking up 2 faulty ones? It just dosent make sense ive set up everything correctly,done scans and even re-booted and it still does it!
    Do you think it will be because i havent created an acer facory default backup image onto cd's?
  10. Zeromajor

Zeromajor Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    take it back? I'm sure what you're describing qualifies the machines as being 'faulty' or not fit for their purpose. Get a refund and buy from somewhere else.
  11. Fred Quimby

Fred Quimby Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Bought an Acer online and in general its never let me down.

From my experience if you by from a place like tesco and things go wrong,they will refund you the money or do an exchange without any hassle........provided you have the receipt and its in warranty.
  12. Liam_G

Liam_G Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Ye im gonna take it back later, Need to find another one to buy now!
  13. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,880
    I wouldn't buy an Acer from anywhere ;) I've seen to many go in the bin due to lack of parts availability when they go wrong. Same goes for Medion & Packard-bell

Stick with Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell & HP for laptops.

At least if/when things do go wrong when your 12mth warranty is up you can easily get parts for them.
  14. PJTX100

PJTX100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    There seems to be a few google hits on various Acer Aspires exhibiting exactly the same symptoms.

here for example

Most comments point to a possible overheating issue. Are you using it somewhere where the fan outlet is restricted?
  15. Liam_G

Liam_G Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Ye it could be overheating but ive had the laptop on for around an hour now and it hasnt gone off whereas othertimes i could have it on for 5 minutes and it will go off and im in exacly the same position with the laptop on the arm of the chair, again though i went into hibernation turned it back on and it hasnt gone off which i find strange!

I was looking round and realised that the laptop i have has only just been released so possibly faults as its only just been released
  16. y2k

y2k Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
    Some good deals on fujitsu laptops in my local tescos, fujitsu is a better make than acer imo.
  17. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,034
    A friend of mine bought a Toshiba Laptop with a Core 2 Duo cpu, 2gb of ram and a 17" display for £370 3 weeks ago. I was impressed with how cheap it was for the spec.

Acre used to make great budget laptops but some of their new range have this reflective screen which reflects the image back on its self. If you have your head slightly off axis you see really bad ghosting (ie the image reflecting back on its self).

It looks shockingly bad. IMO the most important thing on a budget laptop which is used for surfing & emails is the display then the amount of onboard memory.
  18. Alan_W

Alan_W Member

Ratings:
    +194
    Don't know about the Acers but bought a HP laptop from Tesco. Great machine and saved loads of money. IMHO Tescos are pretty good at exchanging broken stuff so the warranty/aftercare will be at least as good as say PCWorld
  19. Liam_G

Liam_G Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Ye well like i said they replaced the 1st one but now the 2nd is faulty aswell
  20. PJTX100

PJTX100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    The arm of a chair is exactly the sort of variable position that could cause overheating. Many laptops have their air intake on the bottom, if the arm covers that it may overheat in 5 mins. If you move it an inch and uncover it, it may happily stay on indefinitely.

Of course different models / makes vary in their tolerance to heat. Some aren't bothered no matter what. Perhaps the model you've chosen is particularly susceptible.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  21. sore napper

sore napper Active Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Someone said that there appears to be a problem the the model of your machine.

Now I've been thinking. When I first got my Travel Mate it done something along those lines of turning its self off. Acer have a progam installed on the Laptop, "Acer ePower Management". It has settings for, CPU Speed, System Stand By, System Hibernation, Turn Off Hard Disk and Turn Off Monitor. All these settings where set to low times when running on the battery and if I left the Laptop alone for a few minutes one of the settings would do something. So I just set them all to max time lenghts. Even when plugged in some of the setting where low. Might have nothing to do with your problem but worth a look.

As someone has said the machines may have a problem.
  22. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel Active Member

Ratings:
    +663
    They can also add a couple extra years to the warranty for £46 and it comes with lifetime UK-based tech support.
  23. Liam_G

Liam_G Member

Ratings:
    +31
    ye they were all set on low but i changed them all and its still doing it