1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lan problem

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by kenhib, Feb 25, 2012.

1. kenhib

kenhib Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Windows XP SP3
    I was called by a friend who had lost internet access. When going into CMD/ipconfig /all he received 'Án internal error occurred. The request is not supported. Please contact Microsoft. Added info - unable to query host name.
    'When I went to his house I found the bios were up for over a minute on normal bootup. Also the 2 dvd rom drives were unobtainable (yellow blobs in device manager. I got him to get a new battery for the motherboard and that problem has disappeared, however the 2 dvd drives still disappear but are re-installed by windows on uninstalling an rebooting.
    The lan card is an added card as the lan on the motherboard failed a long time ago. The lan card is still working according to the Device manager although it still gives the same response to ipconfig as above.
    Is this something that could be cured by reinstalling windows or is it something deeper (or easier?)
    Any help much appreciated!
  2. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +254
    In device manager make sure the onboard LAN card is disabled.Also uninstall drivers for it.
    For 3rd party LAN card make sure you have the latest drivers loaded up for it.

Do you need to have 2 DVD ROM drives connected up ?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. kenhib

kenhib Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help. I have disabled the onboard lan as you suggested - how do you uninstall drivers?
    I have tried disabling the onboard lan in the bios but it just goes into an endless loop of rebooting.
    re 2 dvd's - He has one dvd player and 1 for burning - he's always had this and won't change!
    Thanks again!
  4. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +254
    Control Panel ------ Add/Remove Programs

see if drivers are listed there.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1