Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labgear HDU681

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by Tomcat10, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Tomcat10

Tomcat10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have done a search but can’t find the exact answer I am looking for.
    Just wondered if anybody could help me? The problem I have is with a Labgear HDU681 distribution box, I have E-mailed Labgear but they don’t see fit to reply! (So much for after sales service) anyway at the moment I have 3 Freeview TV’s all connected to the HDU681 on OUT1, 2, and 3 and a UHF antenna connected to UHF in so far so good all works fine.
    2 of the TV’s also have Freesat tuners built in, I know I will have to get a new LNB with at least 2 outputs for the dish but, how do I connect the 2 LNB outputs to the HDU681 so the 2 TV’ will work with Freesat?
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    One goes to distributor LNB Input 1 and passes straight through to LNB Output 1 to one TV. The other to LNB Input2 and gets plexed to the Outputs for the other TV.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. swedish cook

swedish cook Member

Ratings:
    +81
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,116
    Look at the wiring diagram on page 2 Sat 1 in Sat 1 out looks like just straight loop through the box (on the end of the box). Basically a convenience to allow two equal cables from the dish I would guess.
  5. Tomcat10

Tomcat10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Swedish Cook

I am trying to get 2 Freesat TV’s to work from the one dish and to use the existing cables that are already in place.
  6. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    The diagram on OP's link is quite clear. As I said and as glt has confirmed one of the dish inputs goes into distributor LNB 1 In socket at the left side and straight out through LNB 1 Out. The other goes to LNB In 2. The first is to pass the signal direct, usually for one of the two inputs of a PVR, but in this case for one of the two satellite TV tuners. The second goes through the distributor and gets de-plexed usually to feed the second input on the PVR, but in this case the second TV satellite tuner.
    Tomcat10: That's where your two feeds for the two TVs will come from.You should have a wallplate with sockets marked Sat 1 and Sat 2.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. swedish cook

swedish cook Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Did I miss something - all I saw was an amazon page with photo but no wiring diagram ?
  8. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    I didn't say wiring diagram.
    Call it a picture, and enlarge that, to show the sockets that I've been referring to - LNB 1 In, LNB 1 Out, and so on.
  9. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,116
    Page 2 of the pdf linked in your posting, not the OP's post.
  10. Mike02

Mike02 Member

Ratings:
    +91
    swedish cook,

The OP didn't add that link. It's inserted automatically[skimwords]

It reminds me of a post I made sometime ago lol. I added the correct link - yet it linked to a pack of ten - the OP only wanted one...

:rotfl:

Mike
  11. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    That's correct, OP didn't post the link - but that doesn't matter - it's still the right thing, and it's exactly the same picture as on page two of the pdf file anyway!
  12. swedish cook

swedish cook Member

Ratings:
    +81
    OK, makes sense - pdf pretty unclear !
  13. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +587
    In my view, you'd be best running separate cables for satellite to each room with freesat-capable TVs...

NB I think you may have the wrong box for what you are trying to do: This HDU unit is designed for supplying 2 feeds to a Sky+type PVR and the UHF aerial over two wires: a filtered diplexer separating the LNB feed and UHF aerial to the sky box inputs... and then the return feed from RF2 of the Sky box gets sent back up on a third wire to the HDU to feed all the other outlets with UHF signals (and any radio signals if aerials are attached).

I think only the LNB1 out and 'downlink' outlets will carry the satellite feeds... and you need some way of looping the UHF aerial signal back from the 'downlink' to the return (via a splitter?) ...
  14. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    Yes, of course, for the other rooms to have satellite receivers or TVs each would require a separate direct connection to the dish.
    The distributor has an "Up Link In" socket which I assume is for connection to Return on the wallplate.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  15. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +587
    One way to use this HDU device would be:

Main TV room (freesat & Freeview):
    This room's cable fed from 'downlink' outlet -> Triplexed plate: -> UHF to 2-way splitter -> 1 outlet to TV Freeview the other to 'Return/uplink' cable.
    2 cables needed. Plus Triplexer plate.

Second TV room (freesat and Freeview):
    This room needs 2 cables... freesat feed from 'LNB 1' outlet; Freeview feed from any one of the OUT1-4 sockets
    2 cables needed.

Other TV rooms (Freeview only):
    Fed from the remaining OUT1-4 sockets.
    1 cable per room.

ALTERNATIVE:
    Plug UHF Aerial into 'uplink' input socket (or link 'downink' to 'uplink' with a short cable if the HDU amplifies the aerial signal via the UHF in socket?).

Main TV:
    Direct feed from LNB1 of dish to freesat. UHF OUT1 feed to Freeview.
    2 cables to room needed.

Second TV Room:
    Direct feed from LNB2 of dish to freesat. UHF OUT2 feed to Freeview.
    2 cables

Third Room:
    UHF OUT3 feed to Freeview.
    1 cable
    etc.,.

No losses with triplexers, extra cable lengths or splitters. The satellite inputs on the HDU are unused.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  16. Tomcat10

Tomcat10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just a bit of an update for you all. As I am still using a single output LNB (hope to get a twin output at the w/end)

LNB connected to LNB 2 in

UHF antenna connected to UHF in

TV 1 Freesat Freeview connected to Down Link Out

TV 2 Freesat Freeview connected to Out 1 (only Freeview working at the moment)

TV 3 Freview only connected to Out 2

SAT/UHF & CCTV switch set to UHF/CCTV! not sure why this is.

All is working bar Freesat on TV 2 for obvious reasons, any comments on this and also what I do with the 2nd LNB feed when I get it installed would be gratefully received?
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  17. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    That gives you an answer to the question.
    A quad LNB is more usual than one with only two output sockets.
    One of its output sockets connects to LNB 1 In, the other to LNB 2 In.
    One TV connects to Down Link Out, the other to LNB Out 1.
    Why do you currently have both TV2 and TV3 connected to Out 1?
    The rest is fine, though it's odd about the switch, as you are using satellite and are not using UHF or CCTV!
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  18. Tomcat10

Tomcat10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Logiciel

Thanks a lot for your help and TV 3 is just a typo it's connected to Out 2.:)
  19. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +587
    :confused:
    How do you connect one cable from Down Link Out to both the Freeview and freesat tuners of the TV? Presumably you have a di- or tri-plexer ?

The manual specifically states:
    "Note1: There is no internal UHF path from the UHF and CCTV inputs to the distribution outlets. UHF signals must be fed via the Up-Link"

So I don't know how it is working, from your description of how it is connected up. :confused: However I am pleased that it is working for you! :clap:

The second LNB feed could either go direct to TV2 or via the HDU connections 'LNB 1' (losing 1.5dB of the available signal due to the extra connections on the unit).
  20. Tomcat10

Tomcat10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rodders53

That’s right it's connected with a tri-plexer. I'm hoping to connect the 2nd LNB feed to LNB 1 in and on the other end of the TV cable put another tri-plexer in the same way as the first TV, don't know if it will work until I get the new multi output LNB
  21. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    The two signals are "plexed" into the cable and de-plexed at the other end by the wallplate to give a separate socket for each.
    That's right but to begin with but then it goes straight down to the plate and the PVR's second Sat In, so how does any more plexing come into it?
  22. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,116
    Why there's nothing to triplex it to. You don't need a seperate cable for the terrestrial kit so the one downlead will feed any kit in a daisy chain. The other cable is a straight lnb to sat tuner connection.

If you need 3 lnb connections Two for a pvr and one for a TV 2 of them just need to be direct cables.
  23. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +587
    You'd need to have a triplexer next to the HDU unit as well to use it to combine the second sat lnb feed with one of the RF out (UHF/DAB/FM) feeds to save a second cable to the room with TV2 in... with all the extra losses of signal that would entail.

You got the wrong box for the job you're trying to achieve... you needed a 'multiswitch' {plus a quattro lnb, I think, as opposed to a quad lnb}... for example Labgear MS581E/S Enhanced Multi-Switch Distribution 8-Way | Screwfix.com
  24. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    What he needs depends on the answer to my question in post #21.
  25. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,116
    If the OP really wants to he could use one of the outputs of the box fed via the return cable and diplex it with another lnb feed. Saves one cable from box at expense of more losses.
  26. MartinPickering

MartinPickering Active Member

Ratings:
    +470
    Labgear was bought by Philex quite a few years ago. The "technical" people there actually "borrowed" my "How to fit F plugs" page and put a copy on their own web site. I haven't checked recently to see if it's still there. The photos all had a yellow background. I won't express my feelings about this company in words but you can guess what I think!

The HDU681 should be wired exactly as the official diagram shows. Don't attempt to customise it because it won't work. The diagram, plus explanation is on my web site, together with a similar one for multiswitches.

People often confuse the two and buy the wrong one because they don't think to ask for advice before diving in! ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +587
    No PVR has ever been mentioned by the OP:confused:..

He has two freesat (/Freeview) TVs in different rooms and another Freeview TV in a third anything else is speculation.

The HDU combines (or " 'plexes into" to use your phrase) the satellite LNB2 and UHF TV aerial signal inputs into one outlet socket feeding one cable...

The OP wants to feed his second TV with LNB1 (which is a simple pass-through on the HDU) and a UHF signal via the outputs from another 'triplexer plate' where the UHF, Radio and Satellite frequencies are frequency filtered/split to the appropriate outlet socket... the only way he can do that (with what exists) is to combine LNB1 and one of the 4 OUT feeds from the HDU...

Using a 'triplex plate', in reverse, as a combiner, is one solution for this... {Completely inelegant, over-expensive and technically inferior to running a cable direct from dish to the room, but a solution nevertheless.} :facepalm:

Oh, and from what Martin Pickering says it's probably unwise to deviate from the intended use / wiring diagram of this unit as things probably won't work as well as one might expect.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  28. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    I know - that's why I wrote: "The first is to pass the signal direct, usually for one of the two inputs of a PVR, but in this case for one of the two satellite TV tuners".