1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L.A. Noire - Play & Help Thread

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Action & Adventure Games' started by TsaraBomba, May 19, 2011.

1. AVRocky

AVRocky Member

Ratings:
    +83
    I would still trade it in mate because the game is not worth a purchase. I paid £50 for it to get it a week early and feel like a right chump. I'm not even sure if I'd rent the game or not.

*completed it yesterday

It is a disappointing title in countless ways. People still talk about RDR, they'll stop talking about this in a week
  2. Honey Badger

Honey Badger Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,439
    Well all i can say its im really, really disappointed with this game. Ive been looking forward to it for ages and was going to buy it this weekend. Anyway my mate bought it yesterday and we sunk about 6 hours into it.

In a word....BORING!! im just bored of the gameplay, its all rinse and repeat and the interrogations and searching for clues gets old real fast. I enjoyed the initial shoot outs and foot chases but again these get dull after a while.

On the positive side the facial animations are amazing and the story seems pretty good so far but come on Rockstar i think the gameplay is pretty dire and uninspiring. Its almost as if they concentrated soo much on the facial animations they forgot to actually make the gameplay interesting and fun.

Im a huge fan of all there past games and RDR was brilliant but this isnt imo.

6/10
  3. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey Active Member

Ratings:
    +650
    Well Dirt is not out until Tuesday so i'll take it to Blockbusters then i guess, it's just about keeping me playing atm ;)
  4. AVRocky

AVRocky Member

Ratings:
    +83
    The last 2-3 hours is good though, on the last desk. The fundamental problem with the structure is that there are there too many cases, 21 in total. Team Bondi should have focused on 3-4 cases resulting in less emphasis on clues found on location 1 and 2, and more focus on the story telling and character development. When you find a suspect, you know very little about them. Why not interview their friends, colleagues and relatives? Try to retrace events in recent months/years that led to the incident? If you look at crime shows on TV, this is how its done. They do this because they only focus on 2 cases at most and thus have more freedom to invest in the writing around the characters. In the last act of LA Noire, you can tell they approached it from that perspective and it actually starts to get interesting. However it was too little, too late. I'm just shocked that it was so highly reviewed. Why?

And one thing that got on my nerves was the movement. It was present in GTA and in RDR and here again. Why can't they tweak this aspect of the engine? Walking around, especially in a small area like a room, is more challenging than figuring out who the real suspect is
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  5. Crovon

Crovon Active Member

Ratings:
    +683
    I have been wondering whether this game was overhyped and scored too highly. It seems as though its been reviewed as a work of art rather than as a game.

Deffinately looking over-rated at the moment.
  6. C225

C225 Active Member

Ratings:
    +692
    I'm really enjoying it actually, could do with a slower paced game just now and this is right up my street. Its taken all teh bits i hated out of the GTA games which is why i'm lliking it. Just starting Disc 2 and taking a break for dinner before i start it again.

I think eurogamer got it right though its not a top mark game but i would give it a solid 7.5/10 and its keeping me entertained just now but its really not a replay game once will be enough.
  7. Beximus

Beximus Member

Ratings:
    +237
    I love how the LAPD's apparent answer to everything in the 1940s seemed to be chase and kill. That seems to be about all you can do.
  8. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer Active Member

Ratings:
    +927
    You can fire a warning shot, Bex. Some of the time, anyway....
  9. Beximus

Beximus Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Yeah - I keep forgetting to leave it long enough for the circle to fill up.
  10. Andy58

Andy58 Active Member

Ratings:
    +380
    I disagree mate, I've not enjoyed a game like this in a long time and its definitely got under my skin, I think about cases when I'm not playing and I've just really bought into it.

As regards reviews, its a little like the film awards - the awards generally recognise innovation and good films that are going out on a limb a bit to give the audience something different. Similarly, the gaming press probably get fed up with reviewing first person shooters and reward titles that are trying to be different. LA Noire is a mature game that rewards careful, observant players and its a new approach to games. Its not cop GTA and anyone looking for quick thrills is likely to be disappointed. You're right in a way, it IS a work of art - I feel like I'm transported into the world of 1940's LA, just like in LA Confidential, I couldn't ask for more.

Its certainly not a perfect game, the crime scenes can feel a bit like planet scanning in Mass Effect 2 (sweeping for clues), the action sequences can be jarring and clunky aiming/driving but all in all its an excellent game and I hope we get a sequel.
  11. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer Active Member

Ratings:
    +927
    It's more reminiscent of a DS Ace Attorney type game than a 360 game.

My wife, who is an Ace Attorney fan and plays a lot of DS point and click games, loves watching me play it and has now banned me from playing it without her being there...... Doh!
  12. kynox1393

kynox1393 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    This game is now starting to get on my tits slightly. At first I thought it was a brilliant idea, could not wait to play it. Enjoyed the first 2 hours, and all of a sudden, there are three cases which are all identical. I mean come on, have some initiative to mix it up slightly, like someone said on here, there should have been 2 or 3 cases but more detailed, going back over years before the crime. It's just so repetitive, how you investigate a crime scene, then the suspect's house, then interrogate, then run after someone, then interrogate, then arrest and over........

Will definitely be getting DiRT 3 on Tuesday by trading this in!
  13. MrTayto

MrTayto Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I'm really enjoying it.

Wasn't expecting much after reading this thread, but like the chap above I'm gripped by the setting and the pace. I play a fair bit of FPSs and the slower, cinematic style of the game is great. The animation of the faces is above and beyond what I had expected, even having read the hype and biased reviews. I've even genuinely lol'd at some of the dialogue. The feeling of achievement successfully interrogating a witness can't be underestimated.

Phelps is a flawed hero, I've only played less than four hours but I can't help bit feel a sense of building hubris with him. He's an arrogant prick bit I'm loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums
  14. Caskey

Caskey Active Member

Ratings:
    +346
    Is anyone slightly annoyed at the fact they built this huge map with a lot of detail, and theirs not much to do in it?

I know you're supposed to be a cop, but even causing a bit of random chaos would have been nice.
  15. Anotherlimey

Ratings:
    +650
    I dont even drive now unless i have too, just hold Y and let my partner do it.
  16. Munckles

Munckles Member

Ratings:
    +17
    You can cause chaos of you want. Instead of driving straight to the next storyline location you can drive round the entire city. I've been unlocking hidden vehicles, answering street crime calls, finding golden reels and been causing mayhem by driving like a lunatic. Even one of the trophies requires you to do a certain amount of damage to the city.
  17. Beximus

Beximus Member

Ratings:
    +237
    A little - I keep passing landmarks without actually seeing them.

I am enjoying it, not as much as I wanted to but I'm still enjoying it.
  18. Brummy1875

Brummy1875 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Just received an update for this, anyone know what they have patched?
  19. C225

C225 Active Member

Ratings:
    +692
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. AVRocky

AVRocky Member

Ratings:
    +83
    100% agreed. I was moaning about this same thing last week and people who weren't playing it yet couldn't understand what I meant. The game has a large city but that's essentially nothing more than a back-drop

I'm trying to get the Public Menace achievement where you have to cause almost 50K worth of damage, and along the way I've discovered all the landmarks and over 60 cars. It is dead boring. The 'chaos' involves driving around into lamp posts and other cards. The thing is, the vast majority of the cars are not that quick so the impact isn't that large, and when it is somewhat large, the bonet of the car starts to catch a little fire and you can no longer drive it. It breaks down. You repeat this process, essentially trying to break down your crappy, ill-handling, vehicle.

The side missions are more like tutorials in how to drive and chase someone. Whatever the location of the incident, it always involves you chasing them for a short period and firing your weapon, ending in an arrest. Rinse, repeat. The golden film reels involve you, yet again, driving around and collecting them. It's similar to collecting flowers in RDR but at least riding a horse was enjoyable, especially in that environment with the incredible weather changes *e.g. thunder storms at night*. I play that game just for the immersion experience, whereas this feels like a chore. The side missions are essentially similar to the story missions, except without the questioning, facial expressions and cut scenes. If you enjoy chasing someone over a wall then this is right up your alley. I'm only going through it for the achievements :facepalm:
  21. Anotherlimey

Ratings:
    +650
    Mine went back to Blockbusters today for a £30 trade, could not even be bothered to finish it mainly for the reasons Starfleets spoke about above, just found the whole thing a chore rather than a fun game i wanted to play.
  22. scanz

scanz Active Member

Ratings:
    +725
    Really struggling to get into this. Still early on in the game, but god it's a bore and if every case is pretty much the same - look for clues, interrogate, chase, YAWN - then I can't see how it's going to improve for me. Might cash-in pretty soon.
  23. DaveR1682

DaveR1682 Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I'm really enjoying this so far - liking the slower pace. It gives you time to think about each case, and find myself try to work out what has actually happened. Only upto the second traffic case, but good so far.

Wasn't going to get this until it went down in price, but heard about the GAME half price trade-in offer (thanks to whoever posted it).
  24. st4fore

st4fore Active Member

Ratings:
    +229
    I *WAS* really enjoying this, but in the last couple of cases before the one I am on now, I thought it was clearly obvious not the person they were implying it was (the murderer). I thought it would give you an option to be a 3rd party killing the women but it doesn't and only now on this case have they said it might be someone else. Annoying as I was ahead of the game in this respect so frustrating it dictating what you have to do :(
  25. MrTayto

MrTayto Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I think there's the context to consider. You're constantly asked to get a confession when you know (and your char knows) there's more to the case than meets the eye. It's set up early on that the LAPD are in a PR crisis, and are having trouble closing cases out. Leary wants people nailed and in jail. There's the public feeling of safety and image of the police to consider. I'm getting right into it now. Can't put it down.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums
  26. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +283
    Cool. More posts like this, please :D

I'm sure I read a review that said it really shifts gear after you've completed a certain amount of cases...I guess it really is worth sticking it out.
  27. st4fore

st4fore Active Member

Ratings:
    +229
    I just moved onto Vice and can confirm the pace really heats up. Whether I'd buy it again at release I don't know as now I am hurrying it to sell it back without making too much of a loss. Would I pick it up for £20-25 in a couple of months if I had no brought it - without a doubt yes.

It's a cracking game I think that the people who don't like it maybe don't like the charm of this era or the slow initial pace of the game
  28. onebelo

onebelo Member

Ratings:
    +70
    on case 20 atm, still nothing new happening. given up on it, cant even bring myself to finish the last few cases as i dont care what happens! cex are buying it for £30 which is a decent price

not a good game at all imo
  29. LeeDicko

LeeDicko Active Member

Ratings:
    +286
    Yeah can't see the point in the map being so big. So under-used in the game imo. You never really get the feeling of it being a real living city either, just something missing.
  30. Anotherlimey

Ratings:
    +650
    I love the era and don't mind a slow paced game at all, this game lacks good solid gameplay IMO, the gameplay is poor and repetitive, it does seem a very marmite game.