1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knosti Disco Antistat

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by crazyshady, Mar 22, 2012.

1. crazyshady

crazyshady Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Yes there is other threads but they are too old to reply to. Hopefully I should get mine delivered today. Quite excited by it and there is a fair few second hand records I will be demonstrating it on. It seems a lot of people get excess gunk on their stylus afterwords but it's a bit hit and miss. I hear the fluid really does get rid of any static so i'm gonna give it a go. I might be one of the lucky ones that doesn't get anything on the stylus!
  2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,682
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-f...83453-wash-your-vinyl-records-easy-cheap.html

There is something called the Mr Clean Magic Eraser, which of course is a cleaning or scouring pad that is ultra-fine, and not an eraser/rubber at all.

To keep your stylus free of hard gunk, gently lower the stylus into the Magic Eraser a few times and it will be scrubbed clean. Do this DRY, with no water or other fluid on the Magic Eraser. This only needs to be done a couple of times a year.

As to making sure there is no residue on your records, after cleaning spray them with Distilled Water and wipe them dry. Or, at least, wipe off the excess water. Alternately, wash them once in the automatic cleaner using the cleaning fluid, then wash them a second time in distilled water, that should rinse any residue off them.

Residue of any kind, dust, link, general crud, building up on records has nothing to do with static, it has to do with the presence of crud on the record itself.

My brother uses a Milty ZEROSTAT Gun to counteract static on the records -

zero stat gun - Google Search

This shoots some electrons onto the record to offset any positive charge that might build up. Usually Static Electricity is the result of a Positive charge. You wipe down a record, or you shuffle across a carpet, you are wiping electrons off and creating a positive charge.

On my record cleaning cloth, which is a micro-fiber cloth, I use a fine mist of distilled water, then wipe down the records. This itself seem to eliminate static charge, and the cloth is just damp enough that any dust or lint will stick to the cloth and be pulled up off the record.

Make a distinction between record washing solution, and the type of record cleaning solution that you would use to wipe dust off just before you play. The pre-play cleaning solution is very mild. The actual record washing solution is way too potent to use for pre-play cleaning.

The problem is, both are typically called record cleaning solution, and it is up to you to make the distinction between them.

Record washing should remove any deep seated crud in the record grooves. This works especially well you have have some kind of vacuum device to suck the fluid off the records. This leaves the minimum amount of residue. Far less than if you have to wipe your records dry with a cloth. Also rinsing with distilled water then vacuum drying your record can give further assurance that no residue is left on the records.

Some claim you should get pharmaceutical grade distilled water, which is triple distilled. But if find common distilled water from the grocery store to be clean and pure enough. Plus it is dirt cheap.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck with your new cleaner, we would be very happy to hear your review of the device once you've tried it out.

Steve/bluewizard
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  3. steveledzep

steveledzep Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I have the Knosti and I'm very pleased with it. I don't suffer with a build up on the stylus. A couple of tips that I can pass on. Rotate the record in both directions when cleaning. Always filter the fluid back in to the bottle after cleaning so it doesn't carry the grime to the next washing session. The biggest tip of all is always put the cleaned record in to a new poly lined sleeve. Why clean it and then replace it in to it's filthy sleeve. If it's a picture or lyric sleeve, just put it alongside the new one. I've never had to Knosti a record more than once, just look after it after you've cleaned it. Hope that helps. Please report back with your experience.
  4. crazyshady

crazyshady Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I will have to get polylined sleeves. The records i am going to be using are pretty old. i have a large amount of black 7" discogbags and they aren't big enough to fit inner sleeves inside. Really I want to try them first and see what the difference is before i start moving my way onto all my other singles and albums. I'm going to start with records that really do need cleaned. Even if I had polylined sleeves here I still would be starting off with these old records first just to get the hang of it and get a feel for it.

I'm a little annoyed too because just last month i bought a huge pile of white paper 7" sleeves, it's very hard to get polylined 7" sleeves. Then I got new PVC sleeves so in each one i have the original sleeve inside the PVC sleeve then the record in a white paper sleeve. So I might need to buy more just to replace the sleeves I have been using. One thing I am unsure about is Picture Discs. I know the sound quality on them isn't the best to begin with but I've always kept them in their original PVC sleeves and I haven't got round to replacing them or even knowing if I want to since a lot of them I do remember buying and the memories are nice but the idea of keeping just an empty PVC sleeve with maybe a sticker or two on it doesn't exactly sound great either. And also some Picture Discs I own have actual artwork inside or they have posters and I'd rather not bin them. Do you think it's wise just to put them back in the sleeve or get polylined sleeves for them and then put them back inside the PVC sleeve or get a new sleeve? What is the best way to store Picture Discs?

I do own distilled water but I'm unsure about all that. What kind of cloth are you using to wipe the record down? I personally use a microfibre brush just before playing each record and it's fine. But even the idea of using a cloth makes me cringe, I don't wanna damage the record in anyway. Certainly I have spray bottles and I could do all that cleaning routine but i'm unsure about using a cloth. Also what would i lay the record on? Would i just use the turntable? I find that when i use the microfibre brush everything is fine, cleans the record perfect, when i turn over to the B side there is a little dust here and there, again I clean it and it's fine. so when i'm finished listening and I lift the record off the turntable, one side always has a bit of dust and I find holding the record and using that brush tends to just push some of the dust to the other side of the record. Or is that just static that is attracting that dust and thus giving the record a proper wash will eliminate that problem altogether so that the pre-clean is quick and effective?
  5. SirDoss

SirDoss Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I use it and find it a must for my vinyl. I bought a few records a couple of weeks back which had a bit of crackle. Give them a go through the Knosti and they're now quiet.

I do get a build up on the stylus the first few plays of each cleaned record. I just simply wipe the stylus and it comes off.
  6. a8ch

a8ch Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Have to agree Steve I get superb results whether lp or singles, with no residue. It also eliminates static which helps to prevent dust attraction, and as such not a lover of using polyvinyl/plastic inners, preferring simple (non acid) paper sleeves.
  7. crazyshady

crazyshady Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I have it now and have so far cleaned 10 records. I will give it around 1 hour for the first few to dry and then try it out. One thing I am unsure of and it doesn't mention it in the instructions is the filters. Am i supposed to wash them straight after or leave it? And what is the best way of washing them if I need to?
  8. steveledzep

steveledzep Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Easier to wash the filter immediately while still wet. A rinse under the hot tap is sufficient just to disperse the grime.
  9. crazyshady

crazyshady Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I've washed them now. Oddly enough i put the records in there that crackled the most, had the most static and generally didn't look good and I couldn't see any dirt or anything on the filters. Haven't played any yet but they look really good. They look the part, I just hope they sound good.

Quick Update:

I have tried the first 6 records and so far I am pleased. A little crackle here and there at the start of each record but I've used my anti-static brush and that cleared it. Don't know why but other than that the records are silent and the music comes through very clearly. The one record I had which was pretty beat up, almost unlistenable has became a lot clearer but the sound is only coming through on one speaker and then every so often a faint sound comes through the other speaker and when it comes through it is very distorted. I don't think another clean is gonna fix that, I think it's something wrong with the actual record but rather than a nasty sound coming off it I am at least getting some kind of sound in one speaker. I don't think I will listen to it again. I've got 4 more to try but so far I am happy. When I get anti-static polylined sleeves then I will really sit down and get to work on stuff but going through these 7" singles right now I am very happy.

A few things I will say is that when you lift the record out of the bath it is still dripping wet so you can let the excess fluid drip off or just go straight to the drying rack. I know a lot of people complained about getting wet labels and you've not to put the clamps on too tight but really the only way you are gonna avoid wet labels is to clamp it tight, It's impossible to clamp it too tight anyway and it's not going to damage the record but if you do it loosely the water is just going to run right down the record when you're turning it in the bath. Also be careful when you're taking the clamps off, it's a little tricky because you have to hold the clamp with the base in one hand and then unscrew the other clamp with your other hand. The records are a lot better than what they were, the music doesn't change a whole lot. It's not like the music becomes clearer or louder or anything but there really is no static or crackling now. The job description is to clean your records and eliminate static and that's exactly what it does, nothing more, nothing less so I can't really complain about it. I think now I probably will go to second hand stores a lot more now and take a chance on some records now that I know I can clean them rather than feeling guilty about playing a record that's dusty or dirty or might ruin my stylus. At least now I know I can clean them properly and there's a pretty good chance I'll get a really nice clean static free sound from it.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  10. coruja

coruja Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  11. crazyshady

crazyshady Member

Ratings:
    +7
    You could be right on that, I did only give an hour or so for them to dry. Maybe today I'll give it a few hours. It's a pretty dull and cold outside and the room I am in with the vinyl doesn't have any heating at all, the only heat entering the room is the heat coming from the hallway. It does say on the instructions that drying should take 7 minutes but that is just not possible.

I wish I had antistatic sleeves here so I could get to work on some 12" singles and albums, I'll maybe have a look and see if I can get some delivered by tomorrow morning.

I will look for those filters. I was surprised that I didn't see any dirt or grime on them considering how bad a shape some of the records were in but definately I don't want any dirty fluid going back into the bottle.
  12. coruja

coruja Member

Ratings:
    +114
    How much do you 'spin' them. This is a question to all who have posted here. I'm just curious.

I think I secretly clean/spin the LPs around 33 times! I don't wish to admit this as it may see a bit OCD.
  13. steveledzep

steveledzep Member

Ratings:
    +49
  14. analogueaddict

analogueaddict Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Hello,

I own a VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine, but also have a disco anti stat. I generally use the Disco Antistat on records I buy from charity shops or at car boot sales, and it really is a staggeringly good device, and the VPI 16.5, whilst being better and faster, only gives slightly better results, though it does dry the records almost instantly.

A couple of tips, whilst the standard fluid is good, Le Art Du Son record cleaning fluid works great with the Disco Antistat. It's not cheap, but is the best record cleaning fluid I've found to date.

As for drying, don't force dry them, I would suggest cleaning one night, then leave them overnight to thorougly dry, before putting them back in poly lined sleeves.

Regards,

Dave
  15. SirDoss

SirDoss Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Hmmm, maybe the build up on the stylus could be down to insufficient drying. I have to admit, I only give mine about 40 minutes to dry!!!
  16. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Hi

I've just got my vinyl from the loft after about 20 years. Most of the records are physically dirty ie have dirt/dust that has settled on them.

I've read this thread through but am still not sure the best method to clean records in this state without damaging them.

Thanks
  17. merlincoops

merlincoops Member

Ratings:
    +23
    This makes very interesting reading!
    I have just tried cleaning a few beat up discs with isopropyl alcohol on a cotton wool pad - wiped hard in the wrong direction (not playing direction) and left them to dry. Results are excellent so far with discs that would not play for sticking now playing perfectly and noise is vastly reduced with one disc (Eagles) coming out near enough silent.
    Are these record cleaners better than this method as this has been an eye opener?
  18. steveledzep

steveledzep Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I'm not saying the Knosti is the best method, but in my experience it doesn't damage the records. I must have cleaned 50+ !! The Knosti isn't cheap for what it is, but "better" methods are significantly more expensive. If you have a filthy record, you've got to do something with it or you can't play it !!
  19. steveledzep

steveledzep Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I used to clean records with your method, quite successfully too. However, there is always the danger of dragging a bit of grit around the record lodged in your cotton wool. With the Knosti, any dislodged grime is carried in the solution and not dragged along the other grooves of the record. Depends how dirty it is to start with I suppose. It works very well for me.
  20. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112

Hi Steve

If the Knosti can clean physically 'contaminated' records like mine I'm prepared to make the investment.

I just wanted to make sure that the Knosti is for dirty records like mine.

21. SirDoss

SirDoss Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I've cleaned really dirty records that I've picked up through the Knosti, it works brilliantly.
  22. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
  23. steveledzep

steveledzep Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Yep, that's it. Good price too.
  24. crazyshady

crazyshady Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I got mines on Ebay but it is the same place that sells it and works out at the same price. It took less than a week to arrive and even though it says location is in Germany it is a place in England that dispatches it.

I got a pack of 50 white paper inner sleeves for some 12" singles i bought. Some are bootleg presses and are pretty heavy, maybe not all 180gram (though some are) but much heavier than your average record but when you buy them they come in these white or black sleeves that although are nice and glossy, they only fit the the record. You could not fit any kind of inner sleeve inside so I guess if I want to clean them I'll need to get proper outer sleeves for them. I'll need to ask around and make sure I buy the correct ones. I will get polylined ones but I've decided just to do that for all the albums that I own. I don't know what you guys do, if you use polylined for everything or a mixture. I think polylined for everything would be too expensive. I do enjoy my 7" singles too but there isn't many left that are in a really bad way and I don't even think you can get polylined 7" sleeves anyway.

It's fantastic for what it does but I think if you get it that you might be wise to buy new sleeves to put them in.
  25. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +112

Thanks. I've ordered one:smashin:
  26. crazyshady

crazyshady Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm picking up my inner sleeves tomorrow and will get started on cleaning some records. I was going to get started tonight and let them dry overnight but wasn't sure if I should. The house is very very warm tonight, do you think it would be good to clean them tonight or wait till tomorrow when i can at least open the windows and cool the place down a bit?
  27. crazyshady

crazyshady Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I've cleaned a good 30 albums/singles now, maybe more. I've noticed a little fluff on my stylus which ive just pulled off or blown off, i'm guessing that isn't the famous 'gunk' people with Knostis talk about.

The reason i'm pulling this thread back is I've listened to an album I bought recently, just before I got the Knosti and loved some of the songs, listened to it daily and still do but now i'm noticing crackling on one of the sides. That crackling wasn't there before. It's not that bad or loud but i notice it, it's loud enough that i notice it and I don't know if it's the record or maybe the stylus needs cleaned. I'm not really sure what to do. I've had my anti static brush for over a year now, how often should you replace those? Obviously it is bothering me because it's a new album, bought new, played fine and now i'm noticing crackling during the start of side C and some parts of side D and i don't know what's causing it.
  28. coruja

coruja Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Did you clean it with the Knosti? Do you think it caused the problem? What about the other records you cleaned with it, are they OK?
  29. crazyshady

crazyshady Member

Ratings:
    +7
    There is improvements. I cleaned about 10 7" singles to start with when I got it and they all needed cleaned, some badly which I already discussed. After I did clean them I got great success with all of them, one or two however had crackling at the beginning of the tracks. This probably sounds weird but it only reduced when i used the anti static brush, quite odd when you think about it as you shouldn't really need to do that after using the Knosti. When I did that however I was only spinning them 3 times each way.

After that I went to work on some 12" singles, some were quite rough and again there is a little crackling in the first few seconds and then absolutely fine after that but others that were in fairly good condition came up fine, no crackling, no static whatsoever, real good clear sound off them.

The album i am talking about in particular I got a week or so before the Knosti, modern album from 2009 and no problems at all and again I play side C and D a lot so right away I noticed the crackling, it creeps in and out of the songs. I can only imagine it has something to do with the stylus or the Knosti, there has been a buildup on the sylus. I know I have my own word for it in Scotland and i'm not sure how to spell it but it's like little hairs or fuzz and you can easily pull it away with your finger or blow it away but that's about it. I always use my Pro-Ject anti static brush before I play anything anyway but I don't know how often you are supposed to renew them either but that is to clean any dirt or dust, not create it so I can't see that being the problem either.

What is the best way to clean a stylus?
  30. crazyshady

crazyshady Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I can only find those Magic Erasers on Ebay. Is there any other UK sites that sell them or a UK alternative?