Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids kickboxing

Discussion in 'Parents' Forum' started by dc007, Apr 25, 2008.

1. dc007

dc007 Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Flicked on Channel 4 last night and found myself watching a couple of 5-year-olds battering eachother in a boxing ring whilst being cheered on by their chavvy parents and a couple of hundred other backwards, bloodthirsty adults...:eek:

What is the world coming to :lease:

Anyone.... ANYONE... care to defend this sort of behaviour as legitimate sport, responsible parenting, etc ?!

I'm not anti-boxing, I actually enjoy it. But 4 and 5 year-olds ?!
  2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    Whats so different about kick boxing rather than karate or another martial art which plenty of parents get their children to do?

At least they are learning a worthwhile sport rather than hanging around on the streest being a menace.

I'll tell you what the worlds coming to: We are turning into a nation of absolute fannies.
  3. funkyspider

funkyspider Active Member

Ratings:
    +497
    How bad were the injuries in this horrific display of brutality ?

Were they wearing gloves ? Helmets ? shin pads ? etc as it sounds like a decent form of exercise to me and no different to 'boys club' boxing which has been around for years.

It's also IMO far more responsible parenting wise than feeding kids on complete crap, taking them to McD's all the time, giving them little or no attention and encouragement and turning them into a little lard arses.

Are you complaining about them doing it, or it being on TV ?
  4. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    We are talking about 5 year old's here and who's to say that they were'nt co-ursed(sp) by their parents into taking up this sport. Children at this age are easily lead

You only had to watch the parents screaming and shouting to realise who bad it was. Neither kids who took part looked happy
  5. neilios

neilios Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,095

:rotfl::rotfl:
    Loads of young kids start martial arts that age ,I know when i was a kid i had loads of fights ,i thought it was great .
  6. Sad099

Sad099 Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    well of course the kids didn't look happy - they were beating the hell out of each other:D

But on a serious note - maybe they were unhappy due to how they were performing.

I think its teaches children discipline and hand eye co-ordination skills.
    The tournaments are just a part of it - I do understand however that some parents take it too far and push their kids soo much that the kids end up hating it.

The kids initailly see it as fun and then the parents get too involved and competitive - then top the kids its no longer fun as it seems like a chore rather than a fun activity and puts the kids under pressure from the parents

we sent my son to karate when he was 5 - he did it for a while and then stopped - we encouraged him but he got bored. we didn't push him.

He wants to do a martial art again so its a question of finding him one he likes and will enjoy.

7. coluigi

coluigi Member

Ratings:
    +89
    You seem to think 5 year olds can't say 'no'?

If they didn't want to do it, their parents would know about it, and no amount of pushing would make the child do it.
  8. dc007

dc007 Member

Ratings:
    +47

Thats true. All those kids working in sweatshops in the Far East just love it really... otherwise they'd just say no... :rolleyes:
  9. y2k

y2k Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
    Yep it looks like we are :thumbsdow.
  10. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,211
    I thought the programme was really good and, surprise surprise, nothing like the tabloids made it out to be. Teaching these kids the discipline and fitness can only be a good thing. The fact hey fight each other in the ring was not a problem for me. The only down side was some of the parents were a little too pushy at times and there was too much swearing in front of the kids. Other than that, I have no problem with it.
  11. Sad099

Sad099 Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    Not sure if the comment was in relation to my post...

you are right kids can say no - my point though was that the kids may want to do it but for fun and not at a serious competitive level.

Some parents coerce the children into the taking it at a serios competitve level.

Reminds me of a prog I saw re the children on beauty shows/pagents in the US - the kids did it for fun but the parents took to extremes in some cases giving up their jobs and becoming their managers etc.

So in essence kids will say no but not until they have had the fun ruined by the parents attitude.

12. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,211
    Out of all of the analogies you could have used, that is the absolute worst :rotfl:
  13. Astraeus

Astraeus Member

Ratings:
    +119
    Learning these sorts of sports at a young age is a fantastic way of building self-confidence and discipline. I'll be absolutely sure to start my kid on kapap courses when he's 5-7 years old. I don't agree with taking it to the level as with beauty pagaents but I would never persuade anyone not to enroll their children in these classes.

Besides, when it comes to being a teenager, get them learning kepap and they'll kick anyone's arse. It always makes parents proud to have the hardest kid on the block. :D
  14. coluigi

coluigi Member

Ratings:
    +89
    I'm confident there will always be cases where parents are pushing their parents too far, and I'm confident Channel 4 will have dug them out to portray a controversial message. But why should we encourage 5 year olds to take up things like football, ballet, academia etc but not kick boxing. Because kick boxing has connotations of thuggish violence does not make it so. As others have stated it's a martial art that'll no doubt instil great discipline in a young child (you can't become good at kick boxing without commitment).

It's a bit like another show on C4 about child geniuses. One kid said he was stuck in a catch 22 because everyone was saying he should use his natural talent and go on to university (he was 12 I believe) - but he stated if he did go to university there would be an uproar saying it was sick how his parents were pushing him.

Admittedly, the show didn't fully sit comfortably with me but when these kids grow up we're not going to bat an eyelid to them saying they started kick boxing at 5 or went to university at 12 - as they'll most likely be functional, normal human beings.
  15. funkyspider

funkyspider Active Member

Ratings:
    +497
    Well I guess from the majority of responses so far that quite a few... QUITE A FEW... thinks it's ok. :D

Don't you just love General Chat, you never know which way a topic will go.
  16. Reign-Mack

Reign-Mack Member

Ratings:
    +217
    lol you can use that to moan about anything you see on tv, ahh they had kids riding bikes on tv I bet they only wanted to ride bikes for fun but the chavvy - 'rents made them do it to compete...:rolleyes:
    Just rants based mostly on assumption.
  17. Sad099

Sad099 Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    To be honest I didn't even see the program - I was just making a general point about how some parents make kids hate things becoause they push them too far.

for example - when my son didn't want to do Karate anymore had I made him he would have resented me and resented doing any form of martial art , but as i didn't push him he now wants to do it again.

Encouraging them is fine but to force is wrong as not only will they hate you for it but also thats what they may learn (forcing people) and apply going forwards in their lives.

18. vinvader

vinvader Member

Ratings:
    +189
    I saw this and found it quite uncomfortable viewing. In regards to the 4/5 year old girls one of them was quite distressed about going in to the ring, crying and saying she didn't want to do it. However her father was having none of it and when he did persuade her to do it he was loving it encouraging her to "KICK 'ER" and "BATTER 'ER". The father also commented that she would rather be playing with dolls and toys because she's 'distracted'.

I don't really have a problem with the older kids doing it although most of the parents seemed (and even admitted) to be living their dreams through their kids.
  19. emporer

emporer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,624
    that 5 year old girl obviously didnt want to go into the ring, her parents should be ashamed of themselves fro practically forcing here to fight, in my eyes a 5 year old girl should be playing with dolls and not doing this, although one just has to look at her parents to see that her father is just a brute and the mother just reminded me of a total chav. If people think this stuff is ok it really does bring home what a twisted society we live in.
  20. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,625
    When my son went in for his association National Karate Championships he was wearing a lot less protection , ie Box , gumshield and mitts
  21. coluigi

coluigi Member

Ratings:
    +89
    I don't think anyone would condone what was displayed in the program. But C4 obviously put it on TV as it was controversial and far from the norm.
  22. vinvader

vinvader Member

Ratings:
    +189
    One of the things I found so distasteful about it was the fact that the 5 year olds didn't really seem to know what was going on, apart from being goaded into attacking their apponent by their parents. There was no skill involved and yet there was a large crowd loving it as if it was a professional bout :confused:

It appeared that most of the younger kids were taught by their parents at home/gym instead of learning from a professional as part of a class in a kickboxing school.
  23. drskhaled

drskhaled Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I watched it and it was horrible. The small girl certainly didnt like it but what was clear was how thuggish all the parents were. There's something horribly wrong about the way they were encouraging this violence in kids almost like bloodlust. I'm not against the training and martial arts aspect of it, in fact with proper training kids that do martial arts are very well behaved. Even with sparring in most martial arts the points are allocated for technique rather than pure pummelling.

With older kids its not so bad and i didnt feel so uncomfortable watching the older kids fight as they had a bit more skill and training. I just hope these kids dont take their fighting skills into playground to bully other kids.
  24. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    If it teaches them self disciline, keeps them off the streets and makes them fit, then it's fine by some :rolleyes:
  25. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,243
    it was quite uncomfortable to watch,being a father myself,and i found the attitudes of the parents quite bad also.
    one thing i did find funny though,was the couple,who were both classed as "fighters",and had the gym,etc...the wife liked nothing better than to smash womens faces in."ok",i thought"not the kind of mother i would want",then it moved onto the husband,who apparently has had only one fight....in Thailand,which he lost,and was knocked out."i'm not a good fighter" he said..---that i would have paid to see.:rotfl:
    i wonder how long it lasted,possibly a minute or two,and to be shown the way out,lying on a stretcher.