Kenwood DNX 5220BT

Can some one help me to up date the nav on my DNX5240BT as mine is 2.60

The garmin site says i need this info=unit ID how do i get this ?

validation code ?

product key ?

thanks

Can some one help me to up date the nav on my DNX5240BT as mine is 2.60

The garmin site says i need this info=unit ID how do i get this ?

validation code ?

product key ?

thanks

Its ok i have sorted it:thumbsup:

i also have a prob my 5220 dnx stopped working today with the message protected mode on ?can anyone help me on this ......

my 5220 dnx bt stopped working today with the message protected mode on anyone help me with this

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, in the vain hope someone is here's my problem:

I've just had a ipod lead connected so i can play music and use the phone function from my iphone. However once i connect the lead to my phone and the music starts to play the music is soon interupted once the bluetooth on the stereo recognises the bluetooth on my phone and then asks me on my phone to either continue connecting via bluetooth or go back to "dock connection".

By this time im halfway to my destination :laugh: and don't really wanna be fiddling around with my phone whilst driveing.

Of course i have the option of turning of the bluetooth but then i cant use the TEL function which is really handy.

I'm sure there must be a setting i can change so that i can use both functions.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp

Unfortunately there isn't way around this unless your phone is jailbroken. If it is you can download a utility to switch off the audio streaming Bluetooth but keep the telephone Bluetooth. The other option is to get a cheap USB stick for your music rather than use the phone.

I don't have an iphone so this is only a guess and the previous poster's advice may be more accurate...

Have you tried ensuring that the iphone is only paired as a handset and not for audio streaming on the DNX5220 within Bluetooth settings (there are two options)?

Regards
Stuart

Thanks for the replies, i'll check the settings on the units Bluetooth and hope that sorts it.

I have used a data disc full of music before but wanted the full functionality of the iphone (plus as someone said of the usb stick, it takes a good 2 mins for all the data to load before playing)

Thanks again, will let you know if there's an option

Have the same issue and changing the settings did not help as they soon revert back to what they were. If you set it to handset only it wont pick up the music and visa versa.

Hello, Im new to this thread, anyone still watching?

I installed the 5220BT to day but my unit has no BT option in the settings menu at all, I have been through every setting, I can provide pictures of the menu if needed, also it has the bluetooth function when you select the BT source but once clicked there are no options here eighther..

I have just updated the firmware to 3.1 to try and fix
but didnt add any options, I cannot dind any info on the internet anywhere!

I can update the bluetooth software without navigation through the settings as there is no bluetooth option in the 'software information' screen to start the updat procedure..

Before anyone says, this is definately the 5220BT model, its on the side of the unit and came with the microphone that plugs directly into the back,

Any help would be great, also if anyone has a number for Kenwood support that would be great too! :)

Thanks in advance....

Silly question but have you looked through the instruction manual.

If I remember rightly to get to the bluetooth settings you have to put the unit into standby and select the settings menu that should come up.

Failing that if you have twitter try contacting Kenwood on their, they were very helpful when I was having issues updating the firmware

Have you scrolled down? Bluetooth settings are not on the first page. You need to use the down arrow on the left hand side. Note that many of the settinjgs menus have horizontal (top) or vertical scrolling to further options.

Hello, wow thatnks for the quick replys guys!! :smashin:

I think as kenwood have little support they should commission this forum i.e u guys!! your response times are second to none!!

I have tried putting in standby mode and no difference,
Also scrolled through every settings menu possible, horizontal and vertical,

I can scroll down three times on the main menu, i have atatched pics of what these look like I think the Bluetooth settings should be at the top of the third page seeing pics on here of others..
Alos the final pic attached is of the screen that you see when selection BT from the source menu.

I dont have twitter but will sign up asap and try them.. thanks

This is really frustrating me now! its almost like i have the 5220BT unit with thw basic 5220 software or the drivers on the unit are missing so it doesnt recognise that i have the inbuilt BT reciever and therefore gives no options on the screen..
I am really jelous of all you that are driving handsfree!! :confused:
How annoying!!

Attachments

• IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1,619
  • IMG_1423.jpg
    IMG_1423.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 1,327
Last edited:
Yeah - it's just after ipod on page 2 on mine. If you click on software information what Bluetooth version are you showing?

Stuart

"also if anyone has a number for Kenwood support that would be great too!"

- - - - - - - -

Kenwood's own in-house 'customer support' have sadly discontinued phone support, other than for their own approved retailers (you're required to quote an "account number" to get put through - based on my own experience, at least .....)

HOWEVER ........check link below for recent thread giving details + tel contact of Kenwood's official service centre (Fullers) who apparently will give advice by phone

http://www.avforums.com/forums/car-...33-kenwood-dnx-8220bt-satnav-not-working.html

Yeah - it's just after ipod on page 2 on mine. If you click on software information what Bluetooth version are you showing?

Stuart

There is no mention of bluetooth at all on the software page, if it did i would also be able to start the update process. It has the software key code (which displays nothing) and the version which is 3.2

Nothing else, i see pics of others software info screens which have the third 'bluetooth module version' info..

Ill try phoning that number and see how I get on..

phoned fullers, they said you have to connect from the phone not the unit by searching of your phone for bluetooth devices, and connect that way..

I have the iphone 4 and I have tried searching but nothing, I can connect to my vans aftermarket cd player which means my phones BT must be functioning.

Maybe the unit is not compatible wiht iphone 4 :? i will try another phone to test, however this still doesnt explain why there are no bluetooth optionin my setting menu..

The instruaction manual actually tells you to set up bluetooth via the 'set up bluetooth' button in the settings not from the phoen itself.,.

Still stuck :(

Not sure about their advice. I can't be sure without deleting all the pairings from my unit, but suspect that pairing (which they are talking about) and accesing Bluetooth settings are unrelated. That is, you should still be able to see Bluetooth settings and software version even without a phone paired. As you point out, this is how the manual says to set up a pairing also.

Sorry I don't have any more suggestions. It sounds like either the Bluetooth module is not working or teh software is not installed properly. I;ve never updated the Bluetooth software on mine so not sure of how you could fix that given that you can't see the version.

Interesting news about Kenwood 'phone support. I'll have to factor that into my imminent purchasing decision.

Have you bought this unit from someone secondhand or did you have it working with Bluetooth in another vehicle? Or did the BT stop working when you did the unit software upgrade?

Stuart

Ok thanks for your suggestions so far. You have all been brilliant, if only I could find another person with the same trouble as this seems to be a rare occurance..

In regards to the unit, I bought it second hand form a guy that seemed pretty genuine, I will try contacting him to see if he used the BT before..

And no the BT has never worked wince I have had it I did update the software but only to try and resolve the issue,

Bit of an off chance, but earlier in these posts theres a guy who plugs the usb cable in the back where it says 'do not plug' and can access the units memory from his laptop, I wonder if I could get a copy of this off him and then re write my unit with the data from his.. bit risky but may be worth a shot..

That usb connection only allows access to the satnav part of the unit :-(

It is worth leaving a USB lead plugged in there and tucked away for future use when you install the unit - but it won't help with solving this issue.

I just had a quick look at the manuals and the Kenwood site. If you are able to plug in the microphone it would suggest that you do have a BT unit as I don't think non-BT has the socket. It should also be described as a DNX-5220BT on the front of the unit (bottom right).

Clutching at straws but do you definitely have this in the correct socket? It should be next to the two yellow phono connections on the top left (when looking from the rear).

Are you able to test the microphone (say on a PC)? I'm just guessing that if there was a fault the BT might be disabled - long shot.

I did note that Kenwood's site is suggesting different BT firmwares for US and Europe iphones as far as I can see. This is irrelevant at the moment since you can't see the software version or button to update it, but worth bearing in mind. See here: Bluetooth Compatibility List | Kenwood Corporation

Stuart

Stuart

Last edited:
ahh I didnt realize that the usb on the back only controlled the GPS software, thanks for the advice..

Yes its defiantly the BT model you can just about make it out on the pictures I posted a couple of posts ago.

Unfortunatly I have installed the unit, (I pretty much tested everything apart form the BT to see if it was working before installing properly! :oops:) How annoying!!

Its installed in my 350z and its a bit of a bummer as the whole centre dash has to come out to gain access to the rear of the unit or even remove it, I will have to bite the bullet and see if the connector is in the right socket just to eliminate it. Also I will test the microphone using my partners laptop, Id rather test it in thew car than re route that bloody thing again!:mad:

Thanks for your help so far, I will have a look at the rear of the unit on Friday and keep you posted..

Any advice from others who may have the problem in the meantime would be appreciated..

Fingers crossed the plug will have come out the back and once pushed back in the menu's will apear, anyone who is installing or has there unit out in the next few days on the off chance could you unplug the mic and see if the settings menu dissapears..

Last edited:
hi
considering buying this unit for my car and have one questions. does this play avi files off a usb stick?

thanks

Forget that I managed to get it to work by doing a factory reset on the unit. Loaded up fine after that and showing software version 3.0.1 :) Works much better with the iphone now which is great. Now time to put all the settings back in that I had.

hey mate can you tell me how to factory reseti it please I have the same problem i can't update the firmware and it is a verry old version it's 1.5.0 and no i'm not talking about the Bluetooth, thanks in advance

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom