1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kenwood DNX 5220BT

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Nav & Dash Cam Forum' started by derwill, May 16, 2008.

1. djsky

djsky Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, and then you press the big square button on the left of the screen that brings up the video.
  2. ScottyP89

ScottyP89 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just tried this and i have a blue screen now saying something like no rear? Any ideas? :(
  3. xions

xions Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm delighted to see my calls to Garmin, then Kenwood and then back to Garmin are paying off!!

Apparently there are different ways to access the website, some are free and some charge $60!

I have loaded the speed cameras using pocket GPS website and the Garmin POI Loader, but I have to be honest and say its not great. It keeps telling me of speed warnings and seems to miss some Gatsos, any ideas???

Regarding the DVD playback, it should work as everyone has described, will see if I can figure another way for you. Have you perhaps tried ripping the DVD to iPod and playing it that way (if you have a video iPod).

Its a tricky wee unit this, but once you have the hang of switching between the functions it seems excellent.
  4. sbonell

sbonell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone successfully used a standard iPod USB cable (i.e. the white one that comnes with an iPod) with the DNX5220? I have seen plenty of places on the net saying you can, but mine won't work at present. It has the same problem as reported earlier in this thread.

The iPod shows "Connected" but not "Kenwood" and the DNX5220 says "Disconnected".

I've tried two of these Apple cables with no joy and they both work OK with my PC. Any ideas?

Its a nano 3G with latest (1.1.3) firmware. DNX5220 has 1.4.0 firmware.

A USB stick works OK.

Thanks
    Stuart
  5. Gadgetman1968

Gadgetman1968 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All regards.
  6. Gadgetman1968

Gadgetman1968 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Please help, ech time i do this i got DISC ERROR message. What possibly i am doing wrong.:suicide:
  7. V_J

V_J Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Just a thought (haven't got a 5220), but have you finalized the disk?
    (dunno if it is necessary)

Jörg
  8. WAYNE509

WAYNE509 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Exactly what i was going to say. I had the same problem trying to update the firmware but then did a closed session disk (same as finalizing) and it was fine.
  9. Gadgetman1968

Gadgetman1968 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i did finalized disc and i lost so many CD's and nothing, always DISC ERROR. The some story with upgrade. I thing i have to contact some how Kenwood. What do you thing? Maybe i am still doing something wrong?
  10. WAYNE509

WAYNE509 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    One last thing. Did you write the file to CDR -R or CDR +R? If i remember back i borrowed a +R from my neighbour and it didn't work either. Just a thought.
  11. V_J

V_J Member

Ratings:
    +10
    The +R and -R difference is only present on re(writable) DVDs, not no CDs...

Did you use regular CDs (700 MB) , or those with higher capacities?
    Have you tried writing at a low speed?

Jörg
  12. WAYNE509

WAYNE509 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    sorry i meant to say rewriteable but maybe it was a dvd i used and not a cd.
  13. MarkJames

MarkJames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to purchase this unit over the pioneer f900BT, from what i read i am making the right decision, can i just confirm 2 things please.

1 - Can i use ANY cctv camera for the reversing one - can anyone recomend a good cheap one rather than the kenwood one.

2 - I DO not need to leave the dvd in the unit to use the sat nav, does it need to be in to work out the route or does it store the whole map data to internal memory and only use the dvd to update ?

many thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Mark
  14. bitonw

bitonw Member

Ratings:
    +9
    2. the garmin sat nav is stored in the internal memory of the hu.
  15. V_J

V_J Member

Ratings:
    +10
    As I understand it, if you want to use updated map-data, you need a DVD with updated data in the drive. The update-data is not copied to the internal memory...

(there apparently is an unsupported workaround to do this manually)

Jörg
  16. Gadgetman1968

Gadgetman1968 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your time. Finely i have used DVD+R and every thing is fine. Thanks again. Arthur
  17. MarkJames

MarkJames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just had this back from Kenwood, i have omitted peoples names.
    ME:
    Code:
    I am looking to purchase one of these items for my car, can you please explain how I update the maps in the future as roads change, I need to confirm that I don’t have to leave the updated DVD IN the unit to use updated maps.
    THEM:
    I will confirm this with our R&D dept, since to date there has been no update to the maps.
    I’ll let you know when I get a reply (probably tomorrow).
    Them 30 mins later:
    Further to last mail; the information is written from the Disc to the internal Garmin navigation board. So the disc can be removed after the update process.

So thats me sold :)

Thanks for all your help.

Kind Regards,

Navigation Customer Support Engineer
  18. V_J

V_J Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Great news! :clap:

The guy in the store convinced me that the disk had to be left in the device. :mad: As I was pressed for time I could not investigate further (I found it odd, but my previous system required a permanently present disk) and went ahead with the 8220. For my purpose, the 5220 could have sufficed... Not that there is anything wrong with the 8220 or anything, but I would have liked to been correctly informed before my purchase (it was the primary reason to go a specialized shop :rolleyes:). He also said the Kenwood navigation systems all have gyroscopes, which turns out to be wrong (only the case for the KNA-G520).

:lesson: 1. Guess its the last time I went there...
    :lesson: 2. Make sure you have plenty of time to properly find out the abilities of a device yourslef...

Jörg
  19. MarkJames

MarkJames Member

Ratings:
    +0
  20. Lada

Lada Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, any standard cctv camera. I would recommend the one with LED diod for night vision. It should be around 60GBP
  21. bitonw

bitonw Member

Ratings:
    +9
    disk or no disk. you can easily copy it on the head unit via the mini usb on the back. have a search on this forum where i explain this procedure.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  22. sbonell

sbonell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Replying to myself in case anyone else is searching on the same issue...The Apple leads do not work despite what you may read on some sites selling the DNX5220. I now have a KCA-IP300V and all is well. The audio is on a separate analogue 3.5 mini-jack at the Kenwood end.
  23. MarkJames

MarkJames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you
  24. V_J

V_J Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I knew, but I don't want to venture into unsupported territory... :)

Jörg
  25. killie77

killie77 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi
    been reading through the threads
    And I'm in the Market for either the DNX 5220BT
    I was wondering if I went for the Unit without, BT would I be missing out on anything apart from the Bluetooth. Reason I ask is their seems to be nearly £100 price difference between the two.
    One other thing is their any Security Device built in to the Units. Can you remove the Facia or disable in some way ?
    Thanks for any advice
    Regards
    Ian
  26. sbonell

sbonell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You wouldn't be missing anything other than bluetooth afaik (worth checking a spec sheet to be sure, but my opinion is based on when I bought the BT not long ago).

Bluetooth as an add on for the 5220 is best part of £100 so I guess you're paying for the convenience of having everything in one box (as you are with the whole unit to be honest).

The bluetooth is a missed opportunity on this if you ask me. The user interface is so close, but in practice difficult to use on the move. Lacking that last 10% of thought as is the user interface throughout. Unless you're a big phone user you wouldn't be missing much. The kit does basically work and sound quality I believe is pretty good, but it does have problems with some phones so you need to check compatibility very carefully. Works well with my venerable Nokia 6310i, but my Blackberry doesn't automatically re-connect.

There is no way to remove the fascia. I think you can enable a code if I recall, but the security master stroke is the flashing red LED which can be turned on or off through the menus :D

Stuart
  27. killie77

killie77 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Stuart
    Have been looking around for the best Price on the BT version
    best I've found is Halfords :eek: £617
    They are doing an additional £20 instore voucher if you buy a Sat Nav so I might get lucky and get them to fit it for free :thumbsup:
    Will see how it goes
    Regards
    Ian
  28. sbonell

sbonell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK - good luck. Beware that the fitting is reasonably involved because you need to site the microphone and the GPS antenna. Just check they know what they're doing.

Cheers
    Stuart
  29. evossie

evossie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

New to this site so first of, :thumbsup:.

Just installed the DNX5220BT to my car today and love it.

However a few things you may be able to help me with:

1. I try to connect my external hdd for music and video but it didnt work, the head unit said "reading device" but never got past that. Do extrernall Hdd's work on these?

2. My sat nav only displays main roads, it doesnt display streets on the map. Is this an option in the menu or do they only show up when its actually navigating you somewhere? As i only had it on for show.

Any help would be great,

Thanks
  30. wing.rider

wing.rider Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I don't have this unit (yet) but usually on a sat nav this is because you are zoomed out too far - have you tried zooming in and out?