1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Uni-Q tweeter replacement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Pietschie, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Pietschie

Pietschie Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

My dad has got a set of Kef Q25.3's, but blew up one of the tweeters. We've checked some prices and the tweeter-unit isn't that expensive, and since we're not too clumsy we should be able to fix this one our selves... atleast, we thought :rolleyes:
    Does anyone know how to get the tweeter out of this Uni-Q system? First there is a little protection-cap in the middle and behind that is the tweeter.

Who, oh who can help me (and my dad)??? :lease:

Thanks in advance for your reactions :thumbsup:

Greets, Pieter
  2. Pietschie

Pietschie Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well... I also sent an email to the Kef-dealer here in The Netherlands and this came as a surprise: they wrote me back, including a manual how to change the tweeter! (Ode to Kef!!) Here's it:

Replacing the tweeter is actually quite simple. First get the complete Uni-Q out of it's housing. This is done by removing the outer ring and then removing the three screws with which the speaker is screwed in place. If everything has gone fine, you're holding the Uni-Q speaker in your hand which is still connected with the case through 4 wires. After noting which wire goes where, remove the wires from the speaker with a solderingiron.
    In the hart of the magnet is the screw which holds the tweeter in it's place. After removing the two wires from the tweeter, again through soldering, you can take this screw out. Through the hole that has now come available stick a screwdriver (thin model) and push a bit. The tweeter will come out.
    The new tweeter has to be placed so that it doesn't come into contact with the surrounding speaker. The rest works the other way around as desribed above.

A I said, pretty easy... (bit shamed I didn't figure this out myself)
  3. emtee

emtee Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Aw man, I just sent mine out to get the domes replaced. I tried to take the screw out but didn't think to push them out through the hole.

BTW Kef America and my local distributor told me I would have to replace the whole driver.
  4. nugsy

nugsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is an old thread but I want to let readers that landed here from a search know that I have now posted a video on you tube showing the removal, repair and replacement of these tweeters.

Copy and paste this link into your browser or search 'kef q tweeter repair' in you tube. Hope this helps.
  5. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Ratings:
    +843
    Well it's certainly an old thread you've resurrected. I hope somebody finds it useful. You have made an excellent job of the video!