Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF R series.............?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by fayeanddavid, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartan Man

Tartan Man Member

Ratings:
    +4
    My room is 6metres long x 3.5metres wide x 2.5metres high which is lightly furnished i.e no rugs and has a laminated suspended floor. If the R700's won't do are there any other suggestions?.possibly the R300's or R600c's wall mounted in each corner facing onto the sofa area but still using the R600c and the R800's????. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
  2. Dav1dF

Dav1dF Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,480
    Which AV receiver are you using?
  3. Tartan Man

Tartan Man Member

Ratings:
    +4
    This would be my first ever system. I'm totally open minded as to which range of speakers I should be considering to demo.I'm more interested in getting the right speakers for my setup rather than the nicest looking. Don't get me wrong I would like them to look nice as well if possible but sound quality is the number 1 priority. I've heard nothing but good things about the R Series and wondered if the R700's would suit me. I have an alcove on either side of my chimney breast. The alcove measures 2100mm wide by 330mm deep. If I take an AV cabinet into account measuring anywhere between 1500 - 1650mm by 500mm deep then it only leaves me a maximum of 600mm width in the corner to house a speaker with room around it to breathe.The left hand speaker would be situated the other side of the chimney breast. I'd be looking to spend up to £7000-£7500 on the full system including sub and reciever. I would be using it in a 60% films, 20% music, 20% gaming,MTV,Football percentage.My wife is a child minder so that's why the speakers would either need to be wall mounted or kept in close to the wall to avoid being destroyed by the Taliban. I'm just starting to look now so any help would be greatfully appreciated. Tartan Man

P.S. Maybe I should be putting this in the "Which Speakers Should I Buy?" thread. :)
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. SweElite

SweElite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys !

Im also in the position of buying new speakers.

Which of the following two would you buy. Im driving it with a Integra DTR-80.3

1. Kef R900

2. Monitor Audio PL-200
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Jules.............

Two weeks on, how are the Rs performing???

Did you catch a read of the Q700s av set up review, I can quite see how the Qs had such a good review, now the Rs...................how good are they sounding now??
  6. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    I'd buy the Kefs, but I haven't heard the others!
  7. Jules

Jules Active Member

Ratings:
    +341
    Loving the R500s more every day. In my room they really do have a big sonic presence without the big physical presence... Exactly what I wanted. The mid range on these is so addictive.. it just hangs in the air with buckets of detail you never knew was there before, and it does it without any hint of getting stressed.
    As I've said before, they don't quite dig as deep as the Q700's, but it's really not far off at all and the added detail and good looks more than make up for that anyway.

I've not done much movie watching so can't quite add anything on the rest of the setup, suffice to say that with newscasters voices firing through the AV system they sound very natural and free from boxiness.

Yes, I read the Q700 AV review and agree with pretty much everything. The Q series is brilliant and will more than satisfy most people.
    Its my view that KEF have got the balance absolutely right with both the Q and R series, and there's just enough to differentiate them without moving too far away from a winning formula in either range.

As many people on here will know, I'm also an amateur musician. When I'm producing music I need to hear EVERYTHING in the mix and know how it will sound on an average system. As bonkers as it might sound, Hifi speakers aren't usually suitable for this task as they sacrifice ruthless detail for something a little more palatable...and that's a good thing.
    Now, I've just listened to one of my mixes on the R500's and was able to identify elements that needed more work. It didn't sound unpleasant, it just told me what I needed to know.
    It was a bit like being told off in a really nice way!! Lol.
  8. bighairybloke

bighairybloke Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Can i butt in here and ask - supposing you had a rectangular listening room and you want to fill it well with sound, at what size room would you place a R500, R700 and R900 respectively?

I will be auditioning speakers sooner than i had planed for (cus the HC build is happening sooner;-)) and want to narrow down my auditioning list.

I am thinking that in my well acoustically deadened 4.1m by 7m room i should be auditioning the R700 and R900?

Current list to audition are R series, MK 950+ and XTZ.

Cheers

Steve
  9. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,480
    Which amplifier are you using, and what sort of volume levels are you looking at? Music and movies?
  10. gintonic

gintonic Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Having lived with my R700's for just over a week now they are starting to wear in quite nicely now. The detail and mid section are stunning, and they really dig very deep in terms of bass, although I have only noticed one or two tracks where they have a tendency to boom a little. Their positioning in my room is not exactly ideal, and I am using them with the port bungs inserted.

That said I am hearing detail I have never heard before on tracks and bass that is making me grin.

S
  11. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,480
    I'm surprised you're getting bass boom with the bungs in. I was going to recommend using just the outer bungs, which will make them more three dimensional, but you'll get an increase in bass too.
  12. gintonic

gintonic Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Like I said - I have noticed it on literaly just a couple of tracks (both by Gotan Project) - on everything else I've listened to I haven't had it occur.

By necessity the speakers are about 20cm from the back wall which is not how I'd position them if I had more space.

S
  13. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,480
    I suppose there are some tracks that just have too much bass fullstop, and they'll make any speaker boom.
    Mine are about the same distance from the wall too.
  14. bighairybloke

bighairybloke Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Likely to be an Onkyo 3009 possibly 5009. I dont like ear splitting levels of sound, i like it to be loud, but not ridiculously so...hmm...not very clear am i!

For movies i will defo have the sound up, mainly for the effects and explosions etc. Will have a meaty subwoofer, but i guess i wouldnt use that if listening to music only?

Steve
  15. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,480
    A 3009 or 5009 will drive them very well - I use an Onkyo processor with my R package. The Audyssey XT32 room EQ will make sure you get the most out of the KEF's, regardless of how awkward your room might be as far as acoustics are concerned.

Music is usually better off without a subwoofer, especially if the front speakers are very capable, which the R series will be. Obviously you can still use it if you choose to, and there are options in the Onkyo's menu to include or exclude the sub for stereo use.
  16. Jules

Jules Active Member

Ratings:
    +341
    Feel free to slate my choice of music, but I've just listened to Kenny G's 'Breathless' album, and through the R500's the soprano saxophone comes through like I've never heard it before.
    There really is only one word to describe it... stunning!

Every rasp, every breath, every nuance is projected beautifully, clearly and effortlessly.

These R500's were worth every penny!:)
  17. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid Member

Ratings:
    +115
    I reckon we've all got at least one Kenny G album somewhere in the archives....................carry on, we look forward to the next selection!!
  18. pistolpete1

pistolpete1 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    What cd player/amp you using with the R500's, Jules?
  19. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,480
    Thanks to that Blade based UniQ.... :)

And you're lucky, I'm not even going to get started on Kenny G! :D
  20. pistolpete1

pistolpete1 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Not in your demo list then, David?:D
  21. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,480
    Not on mine Pete - I've got enough my own weird ass stuff without adding Kenny G :D
  22. Jules

Jules Active Member

Ratings:
    +341
    I'm streaming lossless audio via Airport Express to a Denon AVC-A1HD.
    Speakers are bi-wired (not bi-amped) with Chord Odyssey 4 speaker cable.
  23. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Have just completed an extensive home dem of a pair of R700's hooked up to my Audiolab 8200 pre/power set-up. They are outstanding speakers - they look brilliant and have a clear, musical sound and can cope with all sorts of music - though sadly I have no Kenny G. in my large collection !! The bass is great, even with no bungs fairly close to the wall. However, they are very large speakers, and sadly, they're simply physically too big for my smallish room, so I'm going to buy some R500s which I'm confident will do the job and sound superb too. The R500s are so much better than my existing Q500s. Just can't work out which colour to get !!
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  24. pistolpete1

pistolpete1 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Don't say that!!!!:nono:

I don't want to be tempted!!!

I'm happy with my Q500's.....

Just doing my lines to remind me!!!!:D
  25. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,144
    Same here, can't justify spending more money . . . . . . . . . again :rolleyes:
  26. pistolpete1

pistolpete1 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I justify it by knowing my denon and marantz amp are both not going to give the floorstanding R series speakers a chance to show what they can really do......but your onkyo, Viper.....Hehe.
  27. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Pete - until you try it you'll never know....:D:D
  28. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,144
    The resistance is strong with this one :D

But yes, that Onkyo 3009 :eek:
  29. pistolpete1

pistolpete1 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Best not try it then......:D
  30. Mastb8

Mastb8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David, I have a pair of XQ40 but recently my conscious kept telling me to upgrade to R900, but the devil kept telling me that it's not worth upgrading as the difference won't be that significant. Can you help me kill this devil?:D What are your thoughts on the two?

And if I do decide to keep the XQ, can I pair them up with one of the R series centers?

Much appreciated
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.