Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keegan returns , and all things Newcastle Utd

Discussion in 'Sport Forum' started by Steve N, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Paranormalist

Paranormalist Active Member

Ratings:
    +698
    Being a Newcastle fan I truly hope that Kevin Keegan can finish what he started when he first took up the job as manager and go on to win silverware with Newcastle. I think this could make or break Newcastle. :eek:
  2. jolly

jolly Active Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Totally agree

Steve
  3. DrWise

DrWise Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,022
    From a Man utd fan
    wishin the best for Kevin Keegan
    Hope he does win some sort of silverware and put pride back in the toon :)
  4. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,753
    Keegan did really well for City. He took over when we were relegated from the Prem and won us the first division championship with the record number of goals ever scored by a City team in a season. In his first season in the Prem, we finished ninth and he attracted players to the club like Berkovic, Foe, Bernabia, Anelka, Distin and brought through youngsters into the team that hadnt been given a chance before most notably Wright-Phillips and, erm, Barton.

He had about four/five months left on his five year contract when he agreed to step down and let Pearce take over. The headlines about him being a quitter are always vastly exaggerated and I wish the guy all the best at Newcastle. They were a great team to watch when he was manager there before and lets hope they bring that attacking brand of football back - it would be great to see him sparring with Sir Alex again.

Good luck Kev!
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. kingswood

kingswood Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Any "true" member of the toon army that experienced the roller coaster that was Keegan's legacy as manager last time around, will know deep in their hearts that this is the best possible thing that could happen to Newcastle United. For too long the club has dabbled with managers that lacked heart and passion for the club (with the exception of the great Sir Bobby Robson) and this is the begining of a new era for Newcastle. A return to the fabulous entertaining football that once graced St James Park. The premier league on a whole has become quite tedious (look to the lower divisions for more entertaining football) and Keegan will bring that flair, style and excitement back to the Premier League, and the whole league and the sport will benefit on the whole.

Long live king Kev! all we need is "pavel is a geordie" back as goal keeping coach (true toon army fanatics will remember the t-shirts, yes I still own one!) , pedro in the wings, clarkie on the staff and the man who is truely god, shearer, as keegans right hand man.

The stuff dreams are made of? I think so!
  6. kourosh

kourosh Active Member

Ratings:
    +882

Maybe so but;)...................................i dont think it was possible for any other manager to bring so much excitement and hope!

To be honest i cant remember when the last time naming a manager had such an effect on a club:eek:

So maybe it may not be a long term thing,but at least the fans are happy and the place is buzzing(cant remmember the last time,or was it when mr shearer signed:D),which is something they have not had for a while;)
    but who knows it may just work out;)

so if its moral they are after its the best signing they could have made:thumbsup:
  7. Mindcrime

Mindcrime Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Because no other manager would touch the poison chalice that is managing Newcastle. The board are inept and appointing Keegan for the 2nd time proves this point. Christ, even Harry Redknapp couldn't be tempted to move up North. As I said before, this is purely a short term fix and will deepen the agony even further for the Toon Army. You reap what you sow!
  8. bobsplace

bobsplace Member

Ratings:
    +47
    At last,someone that knows football and sees beyond the media drivel;)
  9. Simon_143

Simon_143 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    It is certaintly an interesting appointment, Newcastle was always a fun team to watch when he was there before and they were involved in a lot of the classic premier league games.

I can't remember many Managers doing that well when going back to a club that they have managed before, only really Redknapp and Portsmouth spring to mind. I just hope it goes well for Keegan as it will be a shame if he fails and damages his reputation among the toon army.

Still should be fun whatever happens, good luck Kev and Newcastle, and get your money on 4-3 when they next play Liverpool :D
  10. Abbeygoo

Ratings:
    +4,753
    I thank you. Some of the stuff that you read in the papers and see on Sky News gets translated virtually word for word onto here sometimes .... Kevin Keegan is a football man through and through and a legend up in the North East. His achievements as a player throughout his career were sensational from Liverpool to Borussia Monchengladbach to Southampton to Newcastle. Everywhere he went he was a catalyst for the club's fortunes and turned in amazing performances. How hard is it for an Englishman to win the European Footballer of the Year? Never mind two years in succession.

Back to his managerial career - after he did the tremendous job at Newcastle, he then went on to repeat the feat with Fulham and bring them up two divisions to be a premiership team - which they still are today. He came to City and brought us up from the 1st Division as champions. He was virtually pressganged into becoming the England manager when maybe he wasn't ready and was quickly turned on after losing the Germany game.

He brings a vigour and enthusiasm that no other can. He gets players playing for him because he was such a good player himself. You could say he was born to manage teams like Newcastle and City and I wish him the best of luck as he is one of football's good guys and another English manager which will be really good for the premiership .... I bet Sky are glad they can roll out that famous footage of his rant .... and look forward to a few more.
  11. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,337
    That still doesn't alter the fact that he's always been tactically inept. I remember after the England Germany game in the pubs around St Pancrass and even the Geordies there were calling for him to be sacked and then he quit and they were all happy.
    Football fans are very fickle people ;)
  12. Abbeygoo

Ratings:
    +4,753
    Always been tactically inept? What a sweeping statement! When Newcastle got promoted and then finished 2nd in the Premiership was he tactically inept? Everyone in the country wanted to watch Newcastle and their brand of attacking football was great to watch.
  13. kourosh

kourosh Active Member

Ratings:
    +882
    why dont you read my post properly;)
    by the way you dont work for the BBC,as nothing has been proven about Harry :mad:

and any how what's wrong with short term fix,it could work out better for both parties
  14. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,337
    Yes he was tactically inept even in those days, in my opinion.
  15. Abbeygoo

Ratings:
    +4,753
    OK. I don't agree. :D
  16. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,337
    That's one of the good things about football isn't it ? We all have different opinions on lots of different aspects of the game :D
  17. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Yeah, I'll go with that. Good at getting teams going forward, but not so clever at getting teams to defend, or to dig themselves out of a hole.

Sorry, but I think some blinkers are being fitted here already. Hi Abbey :hiya:;):D
  18. technoman28

technoman28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +264
    Whatever anyone says it is the players on the pitch who win or lose games with the way they play as a team, the managers job is to get the best out of them and make them play their best. What you therefore need is someone who knows how to do that. KK is that kind of person, because he has a passion for Newcastle, he knows what to expect, and what is expected of him. He is not the type of man who would take the job for the money (although it is probably quite a wedge), he has taken it because he believes he can do what is required.
    What we have got is a manager who inspires the players, the staff, the fans and the whole city. With that kind of combination anything is possible.
  19. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    I hope you're right, I really do. I don't think Newcastle fans can take much more.

Apart from the 4th round FA cup game anyway..........:D
  20. Fred Quimby

Fred Quimby Member

Ratings:
    +114
    KK reminds me of the Villa manager Martin O'Neill,inasmuch as they both show their love for the game.

Interesting times for NUFC, I think they will improve and do well.

They may have their faults but been boring is not one of them.
  21. rizingstar

rizingstar Member

Ratings:
    +201
    Probably shouldn't bring this up, but how well did KK get one over on the media today?:D fantastic!he said just about everything what the fans feel!

:smashin:
  22. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    losing a 12 point lead could be considered tactically inept, but i think that season he was more emotionally inept, he let Fergie's mind games affect him and the closer the end of the season got, the more he caved under the pressure and it affected the team in a big way.

He's likely to be stuck mid table for the next few years, as i can't see anyone breaking the top 4 so i doubt he'll have the same sort of pressure he had that season, but you have to wonder if he's the man to lead newcastle to greatness, or just the man to set them on an even keel again

either way, he is a big character and it's nice to have some of those in the premier league. Fergie and Wenger hardly make a peep these days and Mourinho's not around anymore, so the league is devoid of the big characters it's had in the past
  23. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,630
    He gave a good press conference today , very witty
  24. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Ratings:
    +9

You really are a muppet; every Geordie poster on here will recognise that without any explanation. Anyone on here who went to SJP when KK managed the first time will also have some idea of the ******** that people believe via the spin of southern media.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. bobsplace

bobsplace Member

Ratings:
    +47
    His press conference had me in tears today,the bloke commands respect and a room like no other person on earth!!

The press were in total awe of him and to the doubters who say Newcastle isin't a big club,the media circus which has follwed us around would'nt have been as intense at any other club,nowhere.......FACT.

All hail the man KK..
  26. texasboy

texasboy New Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Well said!!!
  27. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    is the conference on the web anywhere? sounds like a good watch!
  28. bobsplace

bobsplace Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Tune into NUTV aka (Sky Sport News),its repeated on there mate.
  29. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    wish i could mate,my girlfriend's recorded a weeks worth of big brother and home and away so i doubt i'll get to touch it all weekend.. don't know why i bother spending so much on home cinema equipment..
  30. ufitsy

ufitsy Active Member

Ratings:
    +268
    Anywhere please? :lease: