1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karma HTPC Cases Group Buy offer

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Grangey., Oct 18, 2010.

1. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +780
    UPDATE IN POST 225- Messages follows
    Hi Guys,

Following the Karma HTPC Cases Details... - AVForums.com thread, both I and Anth.Payne have been in contact with Karma to try to sort out the best costs for the cases. GladlY I can report with all credit to Anth that he has now managed to secure UK pricing and a very competitive rate (especially compared to other cases on the market)

For those of you not aware of the cases please take a look here: Karma® TF5 HTPC Case, The TF5 Home Theatre PC Case by Karma® T-series

Now to give you some background, the current issue at the moment is Karma do not have a UK distributor, so if you wanted to buy one of these cases by themselves the postage alone would cost £130, not to mention the cost of the cases and VAT- this would have put costs well above £280 for the cheapest of their cases originally

So with some negotiation with Karma, on the basis of a Group buy (10 orders or more), lets get down to the new costs thanks to anth.payne:

Cases:

TF5 = £139.95
    [​IMG]

TF8 = £159.95
    [​IMG]

TF11 = £174.95
    [​IMG]

[-]TFHDD = £189.95[/-] NOT AVAILIBLE
    [​IMG]

TT = £289.95
    [​IMG]

OLED Kit = £74.95
    [​IMG]

IR Kit = £26.95
    [​IMG]http://www.karmadigital.com/images2/karma_ir_small2_mce_remote_control_htpc.jpg(note: although the remote is availible elsewhere , this does not include the IR reciever kit you will need for it to work with any of these cases)

PSU for the TT = £69.95

Postage costs:

Cost of Postage to any UK address would be ~ £6

All specs for the cases are availible on the website linked above, and as you can see compared to the current method of getting one, the saving would be substantial on postage making these cases alot more affordable and very competative compared to other less attractive cases currently availible.

If you are interested, please list your name below with the case you would be interested in.

Timescales:

50% payment to secure your order, remaining 50% balance prior to shipping.

Payment:

In terms of timescales - it is estimated 30days from order confirmation for production, and approximately 2-4 weeks shipping (4wks worst case scenario).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. dave86

dave86 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Nice cases, but prices are far too high.
  3. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Please note that this transaction is not approved by AV Forums and if it proceeds it will be as a group of private individuals with AV Forums taking no responsibility whatsoever in the event of any problems
  4. deksawyer

deksawyer Member

Ratings:
    +132
    I totally disagree!!

I've had an Omaura branded TF8 for a few years and they're light years ahead of most HTPC cases, regardless of the price.

If I had use for another, I'd be buying one for sure.

D.
  5. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +780
    ... sell it to me...:laugh::thumbsup:
  6. deksawyer

deksawyer Member

Ratings:
    +132
    Erm, let me think.....no chance!! :smashin:

D.
  7. jtyles

jtyles Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Do you know or can you find out if the OLED and remote are compatible with or have w7 64 bit drivers. Might be interested.

Cheers, Jon.
  8. anth.payne

anth.payne Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Jon - yes they do
  9. anth.payne

anth.payne Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    For those interested, below is the final pricing for the Karma Cases, and Accessories.

TF5 = £139.95
    TF8 = £159.95
    TF11 = £174.95
    TFHDD = £189.95
    TT = £289.95

IR Kit = £26.95
    OLED Kit = £74.95

PSU for the TT = £69.95

Cost of Postage to any UK address would be ~ £6

50% payment to secure your order, remaining 50% balance prior to shipping.

In terms of timescales - it is estimated 30days from order confirmation for production, and approximately 2-4 weeks shipping (4wks worst case scenario).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +780
    First post now updated with confirmed prices and timescales thamks to anth.payne

These are cracking prices when you compare to what else is availible for the same money!
  11. deksawyer

deksawyer Member

Ratings:
    +132
    Regarding the OLED, it works pretty much flawlessly under Win 7 compared to how it used to under Vista - what a pain in the butt that was.....

D.
  12. Fletcha

Fletcha Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. I'm new to the forum but found this thread as I was trying to find a way to purchase a karma tf5.
    I would like to put my name down if possible for an order of 1 tf5 case, I'm happy to pay the deposit when ever needed. If you could let me know if this is ok and what I need to do I would be grateful.

James fletcher
  13. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +780
    Thanks James,

Either anth.Payne or I will update you when we have a few more confirmed interest/ orders.

Thanks
    Grangey
  14. IStanley

IStanley Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'd be interested in the TF8 along with OLED & IR kit - Just waiting on money becoming available. I had an amount put aside for a htpc build and decided to invest it whilst I wandered the web looking for the parts - now I have to wait for the investments to become just that :rolleyes:

Thanks, Ian
  15. holtehero

holtehero Active Member

Ratings:
    +632
    Quick question on the TF11

Is each of the Hard Drive bays in the TF11 indivually removeable? Reason i ask is likely to be putting either a 6950/6970 in this case when they are released in next few weeks

I downloaded the manual from the site and it seems to suggest they are, but wanted to double check
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  16. crockett

crockett Member

Ratings:
    +44
    I'd also be interested in a TF8 with an OLED & IR Kit. Had my eye on these cases for sometime now... :)
  17. mentaliss

mentaliss Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Put me down also, I own a OrigenS16 case and looking at these cases they appear to be a bargin price even with the OLED/IR Kit!
  18. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +780
    List updated,

Half way there guys!
  19. crockett

crockett Member

Ratings:
    +44
    It does seem that they are. It also seems that if ever you had an accident with a hammer near your case it would very likely survive :D

YouTube - Omaura Hard Drive Cage Stregth Test
  20. ericdo

ericdo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Long time lurker here....

This thread is very timely as I am just thinking about rebuilding my HTPC with a better processor.

I'd go for the TF5 (which imho is the sexiest case I think I have ever seen) or the TF8.

Can anyone answer some questions on the TF5 for me please?
    1) I'd like to build with a 2.5" SSD and a 3.5" HDD. There is no formal setting for a SSD, but I reckon I could DIY one in somewhere, possibly under the Optical drive or under the HDD. Views?
    2) I will need to add at least a tuner card (and possibly a GPU if the Core i3 24fps thing gets too annoying). That means I will need a riser card. I see Karma sell them optionally.
    - Can we get the riser from Karma with this order?
    - Would I then be constrained by which motherboard I could use?
    - Any other ideas on risers and getting a tuner card in there
    3) Any suggestions on an Optical Drive. I'm considering Bluray. How does the Open/Close mechanism work on the slot?

I realise this is a little off topic, but perhaps the answers will encourage more people to participate in the group buy.

In any case. I'll definitely get once of those two cases, plus an IR and OLED kit. Once I've decided on a case I'll happily transfer the required deposits.

Big thanks to the guys organising this, I know a group buy of this nature can be a lot of work.

Cheers, Eric
  21. anth.payne

anth.payne Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    1) I couldn't comment on adding a DIY HDD - I imagin it is completely possible with a bit of initiative...

2) It was pointles getting the risers from Karma, as it would work too expensive for them. You can get risers easily here in the UK, which are probably better/more flexible. Like this:

LinITX.com - PCI Flexi Riser Card - Right Facing - 7cm Cable

3) You can buy something like this for your Bluray:

Scan.co.uk: Sony Optical Blu-Ray Combo, BC-5640H-01, SATA, Black, OEM

Hope this helps.
  22. ericdo

ericdo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK Great. Please count me in for one TF5, one IR Kit, and one OLED kit. Let me know when I need to transfer money. Eric
  23. andries82

andries82 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    HI, I am possibly interested as well.. ( in the TF-5)

I am wondering whether you can use two pci cards in the case as there are two brackets at the back?

You would need a mini-itx board to have enough space I suppose, but the manual does not seem to talk about this.

Any ideas?

Andries
  24. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +780
    yes you can

:thumbsup:
  25. Bossworld

Bossworld Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Is the IR receiver RC6 compatible (therefore working with the original MCE remote)? Looks similar to one I've got in my scaleo, wonder if they can be swapped out

Seriously considering the TF8 but just seems a lot of money, especially as I'll need a new PSU etc. on top. Guess on the other hand these are built to last.

From looking at the photos, is there room for 1 full height PCI card in the TF8? (presumably using an extender cable)?

Thanks
  26. Rockinraver

Rockinraver Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi guys

Cursing this thread. I really wanted a TF8 and have already put together another system, now I've seen this I'm very very tempted to get involved.

Would love to get the case, OLED and IRR set. Going to have to wrestle with my conscious/wallet on this one....

Do the prices take into account any import duty?

Thanks
  27. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +780
    I have to agree with you on this, it does appear there is space for one however this is not mentioned in the specifications. There is a member on here with the TF8 which has posted early on in the thread, it may be worth contacting him to confirm...

I cant confirm this and I dont think Karma would be too willing to respond. All I can say is what it says on the website where it says it is 100% MCE compatible, and as they use a remote readily availible on the market, i dont think they would have really put any restriction on the IR receiver so it may be possible, but again I cannot confirm you would need to ask someone who has one already.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. anth.payne

anth.payne Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    The prices quoted include all Taxes, Duty and import costs applicable - price 'landed' in the UK. The only additional cost is delivery to your house.

Please also note that the prices are calculated @ 17.5% - although you will usually find that the import agents prices will go up a bit more than 2.5%, and this also depends on the exchange rate at the time of ordering.
  29. anth.payne

anth.payne Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    When you purchase the IR reciever - it comes with the remote control. Not sure why you'd want to use a different control? Unless of course you use/adapt your own reciever... which then wont make a difference
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. Bossworld

Bossworld Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I've still got the original MS mce remote (version 2 with the fast text buttons and the separate tv power off button that can learn the TV input code). Best one they ever made and if possible I'd like to keep using it. The control board looks very similar to the one in my Scaleo so was just hoping it would be compatible?

Also the only other thing i'm slightly concerned about (and only due to the nature of the ordering process, nothing to do with the quality) is what's going to happen if this (or any component) arrives DOA?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010