Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jvc x30 good price?

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by mr. shr, Nov 10, 2012.

1. IrishChris

IrishChris Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah the majority of my viewing will be 2D I think. And possibly, similar to you, the people that would be watching most of the 3D wouldn't be as picky :D

So if the price of the RS45 including delivery is alot cheaper than the possible €3k price of the X35 then I might just go for it and never read about another projector for 2 years at least.... :p
  2. obrother

obrother Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Also have no problems with 3D on my RS45, watched the film about owls at the weekend and it looked excellent to me; pin-sharp image, nice sense of depth and never felt the need to tweak any settings at any time, just enjoyed the movie. Sure it was a bit darker than 2D, but still very watchable. Not sure I'm a big fan of 3D anyway (I'd have bought this PJ without the glasses if I could have done), but I don't see any problems with it.
  3. joust

joust Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Allan,

What would be the likely cost of the refurb X30's when they do come through?

Joust
  4. PeteIvy

PeteIvy Member

Ratings:
    +49
    So does the RS45 from Projector Point come with glasses? It's not very clear on the site.
  5. BarcapBoy

BarcapBoy Member

Ratings:
    +10
    The RS45s at Digital Home AV come with the emitter and 2 pairs of glasses, according to their Bargain Forum posting. I'd assume the Projector Point ones do too. But worth asking them to be 100% sure.
  6. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,100
    Hi chris

on the other thread I posted you some links referencing various 3D projectors attributes. While nothing beats a demo, I understand this isn't possible in Donegal so that thread with the RS45 in it shows pics of ghosting performance. Some objects will have a feint shadow, eg, you will look at a lampost and you'll also see the same lampost again only faded (shadow/ghost)

There will be mixed opinion on how much ghosting impacts on the viewing pleasure - look at the pics and imagine watching a movie with those faded shadows creeping in and this will give you an approximate idea of what its like. I've owned the X3 which I understand is very similar to X30 in 3D performance. I've also owned the flawless BenQ W7000 in 3D. Having seen both of these, I would describe the JVC 3D performance as watchable. The BenQ is a different league altogether, same as the JVC is a different league altogther for 2D movies.

Like I said before, your usage and conditions point you towards the JVC. If you want to compromise 2D films a little and drop the lens memory to get a more all round performer, with better 3D (and slightly better motion handling) then a Sony HW30 would be a good option and around the same price. The Sony is also the fastest response time for gaming if thats a factor?

There is no perfect projector and they all have their compromises, so its finding the correct balance for your particular room and usage which is ultimately the decision your left to make. Weigh up the pros and cons and make your mind up based on what you've learnt about their strengths and weaknesses.
  7. IrishChris

IrishChris Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah thanks for that soupdragon, I read through the thread (not all 109 pages! :D) and it was a big help. The images did put me off slightly but the more I think about it the more I [-]think [/-] know I'll be watching mostly 2D content. We have the odd 3D bluray at the house but I'm not in a mad rush to buy more. So 2D is the most important which is why I have placed an order for the RS45. Thanks a million for all the info :smashin: :D
  8. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr Active Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I went for an X30 in the end instead of the new ones as the 2D image is superb and I can't image the new ones are that much better for the extra money.
    Reading the firums 4K seems the way to go to get a great image and if 3D is still around then it will be miles better than it is now.
    My thoughts are that in 3-4 years 4K will be widelay available and will be on the X35 equivalent so worth saving the money for now and upgrading some other equipment.
    I had a few doubts about the X30 in my light living room but I was amazed the other night watching my first film on it, I've watched a bit of 3D but not seen any issues with it. I saw an X3 the other week and that was terrible 3D, loads of crosstalk and unwatchable.
  9. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,100
    I'm sure you've made the right decision, enjoy and let us know how you get on :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,100
    I'm not surprised your seeing a great picture from this, despite the light living room. I made a thread a year or so ago which was around higher spec projectors in non batcave rooms and done some semi-scientific tests to see how they perform (JVC HD750 and Optoma HD87 at the time)

In dark scenes, the reduced light output also means less reflections of the light surroundings which means you can still get the benefit of the good black levels and shadow detail. Its the brighter scenes which also happen to have deep black/shadow details when the room impacts much more to its detriment, but overall, you can still get great results as you've found :thumbsup:

Interesting to read your comment about X3 being unwatchable. Don't be alarmed if your X30 goes the same way. Many people report crosstalk gets worse as the lamp ages. On my X3, around 300ish hrs there was plenty of crosstalk, but I found a lot of content watchable. 3D football was particularly poor but most movies I found watchable.
    Many people also found the 1st generation of JVC x series performed better overall in 3D than the 2nd JVC x series and thats from people who upgraded last year thinking things have improved. So many variations I suppose - content viewed, bulb life, has the projector warmed up and probably even variation in performance from unit to unit. Maybe the 3rd series will be better.
  11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr Active Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't know how many hours the X3 had done but it was in a demo room so probably had plenty of hours on it.
    I'm not too bothered about 3D so not worried about it getting worse, the tech is still early days do will either improve greatly or will be phased out when 4K becomes affordable.
  12. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,069
    no X30`s atm but there are 3 black X3`s left but please ask me via email so we don`t conduct business on the forum if you are interested

Allan :smashin:
  13. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,069
    their isn`t a problem with the top models
  14. obrother

obrother Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The one I bought a few weeks ago did but it looks like you have to pay extra now. Just give them a call/email, they're very responsive.
  15. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Excuse my ignorance but how are these the same? Is one the UK version and the other USA or something?
    Are the warranty terms the same?
  16. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,031
    The X30 is the consumer version where the RS45 is the pro installer version, they are the same other than the lens has a gold ring round it's bezel.
  17. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Are these two REALLY the same?
    How come you guys didn't just tell me to look for a RS45 back on page 1 of this thread? There must be some differences, surely?

Are projectorpoint on this forum as an approved advertiser?
  18. skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet Member

Ratings:
    +74
    yes they are the same, lots of references on the web if you have a look.
  19. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I've done a search and can't find anywhere that says they are different (although I found an old thread on here that states you only get 1 year warranty from JVC on the pro stuff).

I just find it a bit odd that a company make one product but put a one badge on it for consumers and another one for the professional market. (I assume professional market is offices, studios etc?)
  20. IrishChris

IrishChris Member

Ratings:
    +15
    They are both the same. I have ordered the RS45.

From : JVC DLA-RS45 Home Theater Projector Review - Overview

"JVC has two divisions, Pro and Consumer. The RS45 projector, as mentioned, is from their Pro folks. The Consumer Division offers the identical projector but called the DLA-X30 projector. The primary difference is it's sold through a different collection of dealers. Best we can tell, there are no other differences other than the name, and probably some of the support is different."
  21. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Yea I did read somewhere that the support might be different. You got 1 year warranty on yours?
  22. IrishChris

IrishChris Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I got "return to JVC warranty for 3 years for any projector issues and 1 year on any lamp failures"
  23. JamesOs

JamesOs Member

Ratings:
    +1
  24. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Interesting link.
    There are a couple of companies listed on that link that are a significantly closer to my home.
    Presumable I can call them ask if they can sell me an RS45 or do I need to be a business?
  25. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    I wished ppoint did a monthly type payment for these rs45's :-(
  26. joust

joust Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Don't we all.......
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    So is the rs46 equivalent to the x35?
  28. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,716
    Pretty much. The RS model comes from JVC professional dealers and the X series from the domestic dealers (or whatever they call themselves). There might be different warranty periods/conditions, but the X series has a 3 year warranty from a JVC world dealer, so not sure if the RS is any longer these days (it used to be I believe).

No really...I love projectors, but IMHO it's not worth getting into debt for one. Especially if you see how low the offers are for nearly new ones that people are trying to sell in the classifieds. :(
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Has anyone got an x35 yet and pleased with it?
    Should I be looking for an rs46 instead of a 45?
  30. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    I know sometimes i laugh at what gets offered here!